Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do About Whining?
Unregistered 03:25 PM 04-19-2013
I recently enrolled three siblings. Who are by far the whiniest children I have dealt with in a long time. Everything is a pout or a whine, or an I don't want to. I so much as suggest they don't run in the house then I'm mean. I give them warnings to not fight over a toy or they will lose it, so of course when I take it I'm mean again. Tantrums any time they get a time out. And honestly I refrain from timeouts, thy only get them for hitting. If I used timeouts for every other time they don't listen or pout or scream because they don't get what they want te second they think they need it they would be in timeout all day. This is really almost making me think I'm not cut out for this. But I'm praying its really just them. Today was the end of their second week. Oh and they are 3, 4 and 6.
daycare 03:39 PM 04-19-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I recently enrolled three siblings. Who are by far the whiniest children I have dealt with in a long time. Everything is a pout or a whine, or an I don't want to. I so much as suggest they don't run in the house then I'm mean. I give them warnings to not fight over a toy or they will lose it, so of course when I take it I'm mean again. Tantrums any time they get a time out. And honestly I refrain from timeouts, thy only get them for hitting. If I used timeouts for every other time they don't listen or pout or scream because they don't get what they want te second they think they need it they would be in timeout all day. This is really almost making me think I'm not cut out for this. But I'm praying its really just them. Today was the end of their second week. Oh and they are 3, 4 and 6.
my motto....kids who don't listen don't get to have any fun.

also try saying things in a way that comes across positive..

hey guys remember running is for outside, can you show me your walking feet inside please. If the do it again, I would say....

johnny, you are not listening to the rules. We walk inside, please sit and find something to play with.

If it happens again, I will say, johnny it sounds like you are too tired to listen to the rules, do you need to lay down? remember, kids who don't listen, don't get to have any fun.

Then I would have them sit on the thinking mat and think about how to make good decisions. Give them a few minutes to calm down and think. when the timer goes off, ask them what did you think about?

I normally end up saying johnny, you were on the thinking mat because you were not making good decisions. I know that you can make very good decisions I see you do it all the time, so please show me that you can. They will normally at this point be able to tell me, I want to make good decisions and they move on...

now if it happens again, I would tell them they have to sit and crawl for the rest of that play period. Or redirect them to the table to color or sit and look at books.

I do have a few that just need to let out some more energy. I bought this huge bounce ball that you sit on. When they are going nuts in the house and we have already had outside play time or we cant get outside due to weather, I make them sit and bounce on it.

As far as the mean comment, that would not fly here. I would tell them, when you say that, that is hurtful and I don't like it.

I would tell them that if they don't want toys taken away, then they need to learn to make better decisions.

sorry for the ramble... I also say when kids are doing wrong....how do you have fun here? they will say "you listen!!!" and so then I tell them you are not listening so I am taking the toy away and now it's not fun.......

I hope others chime in as well for some good advice
HomeMADE 09:10 PM 04-19-2013
With them being new it's going to take time to get them used to "rules". You may have to spend a lot of time right there redirecting them often. It will seem like all the time. Be swift and consistent with redirection. At this time you should never let something pass. As you are creating expectations.

This is all in my opinion. Its hard on them in the beginning and you, but it will pay off in the end.
rmc20021 09:17 PM 04-19-2013
It usually takes about 2 weeks for a new child to begin to get what you expect from them. With there being 3 from the same family they are feeding off each other with what they are allowed to get away with at home. It will probably take a little longer with them. Just stay consistent and they will get it.
providerandmomof4 10:25 PM 04-19-2013
I think its harder with sibling sets. They fight and cry and whine worse with each other than any single child. Probably what they do at home. I have my whiners who will still try my nerves even though they know it doesnt get them anywhere. It is usually the worst when they are tired or have been with me several long hour days.
Tags:whining
Reply Up