Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Wording This Right
nikia 06:46 AM 12-07-2010
I am trying to write a letter to the parents who I feel need a kick in the butt I could use any suggestions please. I find myself being angry and not wording this in a way that sounds good. Please let me know what you all think.

At this time I feel there has been a great amount of disrespect to me and violations of the contract and handbook you all have signed.
From this date forward there will be $20 late fee for every day you do not pay me for my service of watching your children. This is an increase from the $5 that was in the original contract. Your children will not be welcome back into care until all payments plus late fees are paid if you cannot pay on time. If you are late paying me more than once immediate termination will take place. There will be no two weeks’ notice or even a day given. All fees and payment will be due the day termination takes place, if I do not have it within two weeks there will be a small claims filed against you.

There have been an increased number of sickness violations. Do not send your child to my home if they have had diarrhea, vomiting, fever in the last 24 hours. The next time I find out that this has happened it will result in immediate termination. The ONLY exception to this will be with a doctor’s note stating that it is not a virus and is not contagious. I understand that missing work is hard for all of you, but you must respect the other families in my daycare. They do not want their children exposed and have to call in as much as you do not want to miss work. My children will also be exposed, their responsibility is to go to school and if they are exposed then they miss school. All of my daycare families will have to call in if I am exposed to their illness as I will close daycare for however many days I need to get better. If your child is required to be on an antibiotic then they MUST be on it for 24 hours before returning to my home. If this is violated then it will result in immediate termination.
missnikki 06:58 AM 12-07-2010
That is a bit rough. I might say:

Due to an increasing number of late payments and sick children, this letter shall serve as notice of the following policy changes, effective immediately:

LATE PAYMENTSA $20 late fee will be applied to your balance for every calendar day that payment is not made after your payment due date. This is an increase from the $5 that was in the original contract. Your children will not be admitted back into care until all payments plus late fees are paid. Upon the second late or missed payment, your family's care services may be suspended or terminated at my discretion and without further notice. All fees and payment will be due the day termination takes place, if I do not have it within two weeks there will be a small claims filed against you. If for any reason you are not able to make your scheduled payment on time, you must bring it to my attention at least (insert amount of time here) in advance in order to receive consideration for continuance of services.

SICK CHILD POLICY Any child showing signs of illness while at the program may have parents called to pick up the child. PLEASE BE COURTEOUS OF ALL CHILDREN IN OUR PROGRAM, AND REFRAIN FROM BRINGING AN ILL CHILD UNTIL 24 HOURS HAVE PASSED SINCE ANY FEVER, VOMITING, DIARRHEA, OR OTHER COMMUNICABLE SYMPTOMS HAVE OCCURRED. If your child is required to be on an antibiotic then they MUST be on it for 24 hours before returning to my home. Any violation of this policy will result in immediate termination. KEEP IN MIND- Medicating your child to mask/ relieve symptoms is a violation of this policy and will result in termination if found and not disclosed to staff prior to drop off.

I have read and understand the new policy changes, and agree to abide by them as they are effective upon execution of my signature:___________________________________________
nikia 07:00 AM 12-07-2010
Originally Posted by missnikki:
That is a bit rough. I might say:

Due to an increasing number of late payments and sick children, this letter shall serve as notice of the following policy changes, effective immediately:

LATE PAYMENTSA $20 late fee will be applied to your balance for every calendar day that payment is not made after your payment due date. This is an increase from the $5 that was in the original contract. Your children will not be admitted back into care until all payments plus late fees are paid. Upon the second late or missed payment, your family's care services may be suspended or terminated at my discretion and without further notice. All fees and payment will be due the day termination takes place, if I do not have it within two weeks there will be a small claims filed against you. If for any reason you are not able to make your scheduled payment on time, you must bring it to my attention at least (insert amount of time here) in advance in order to receive consideration for continuance of services.

SICK CHILD POLICY Any child showing signs of illness while at the program may have parents called to pick up the child. PLEASE BE COURTEOUS OF ALL CHILDREN IN OUR PROGRAM, AND REFRAIN FROM BRINGING AN ILL CHILD UNTIL 24 HOURS HAVE PASSED SINCE ANY FEVER, VOMITING, DIARRHEA, OR OTHER COMMUNICABLE SYMPTOMS HAVE OCCURRED. If your child is required to be on an antibiotic then they MUST be on it for 24 hours before returning to my home. Any violation of this policy will result in immediate termination. KEEP IN MIND- Medicating your child to mask/ relieve symptoms is a violation of this policy and will result in termination if found and not disclosed to staff prior to drop off.
I know it is I am trying to get all my thoughts out and its becoming a jumbled up mess.
missnikki 07:03 AM 12-07-2010
You should add a date on the signature line too. Just my thoughts...
nikia 07:05 AM 12-07-2010
Yeah I will I stopped writing because I was just becoming more angry and nothing was sounding right
marniewon 07:06 AM 12-07-2010
My first thought is, this is a harsh letter. But you know what? From everything I've read about all the disrespect you have been experiencing, I think maybe they need a "harsh" letter to let them know you are done playing. I would, however, be prepared to lose families. Too many people cannot/will not take responsibility for their actions and will blame you for enforcing your rules. Good luck!
nikia 07:10 AM 12-07-2010
Originally Posted by marniewon:
My first thought is, this is a harsh letter. But you know what? From everything I've read about all the disrespect you have been experiencing, I think maybe they need a "harsh" letter to let them know you are done playing. I would, however, be prepared to lose families. Too many people cannot/will not take responsibility for their actions and will blame you for enforcing your rules. Good luck!
Thanks for the luck Yes I agree I will probably lose some families, but I really cannot take the not being paid and the covering up of sickness. I have been waiting on payment for 5 days from one family, I think that is just crazy. They are not here yet this week but it was due last Thursday at pick up. They are supposed to be here tomorrow so she has already been warned to not bring them if she doesnt pay me tomorrow morning at drop off.
missnikki 07:11 AM 12-07-2010
Nikia, I know your parents have been riding you for a while and it's definitely time to set them straight.
Your letter will do the trick as it is, but I just tightened it up a bit and took some of the emotion out, made a little more 'succinct' and professional. Only you know what would work on those parents, and ulitmately you just need them to know your policies are going to be enforced and you mean business.

Whatever you decide to say, stick to your guns, and anytime you need a shot of courage, you know where to go! Keep us posted.
Tags:letter
Reply Up