Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Never Watch Relatives Children
awestbrook713 07:10 AM 12-02-2011
I am raising my rates and changed a lot of my policies for the coming year. I thought I had beaten all the drama and opposition but leave it to one family who happens to be relatives. She had said to me originally when I had come out with the new rates that she had an issue with paying for a full week when her child might not be there bc of vacation so when I worked on the hand book I took that into consideration and all parents get 5 unpaid sick days, 2 full unpaid vacation weeks (have to be used for full weeks not here and there) also any additional full weeks above the 2 weeks they would be responsible for 50% of the weekly rate. They also don't pay for holidays I have off or my 2 weeks of vacation. I am being more then fair I just can't wait to hear what these questions are which most likely won't be questions but more of complaints or asking me to give her "special". I will sit and listen to all questions but I am not changing anything, I have been overly fair, and I also know this family will be leaving this summer since I heard it through the grapevine. They can take it or leave it. Thanks for letting me vent.
sharlan 07:17 AM 12-02-2011
I think you have been more than fair in your handbook.

I do care for my grandkids, but their mothers know they can't find a better deal.

Otherwise, I wouldn't care for relatives' or neighbors' children.
Heidi 07:20 AM 12-02-2011
Gosh..fair to whom?

You should be paid holidays (if the child is scheduled to be there), and any time the child is absent.

The only thing I would negotiate is if YOU are absent, because if you were a center, you would hire a sub. Or, you could just never be absent, and hire a sub, assuming one is available and your dc is suitable (like you still have a place to go if you're sick away from work).
awestbrook713 07:29 AM 12-02-2011
My husband is my sub and I try to schedule any appointments early enough in the day or late in the day so I am still able to provide care. Husband is starting new hours and will be home on tuesdays so that is most likely the day I will schedule things. I have put that if I am the one that closes or cancels they don't have to pay.
dave4him 09:49 AM 12-02-2011
agreed! Though i think i will be despite that
MarinaVanessa 02:30 PM 12-02-2011
HA! You have it easy. I watch my SIL's kids because I prefer to have them here than to have her take them to whoever her "friend" was that was watching them before (friends kids would wollop on both 3yo and 9yo boys) and she has yet to pay me on time. I charge her ALMOST NOTHING just so that it'll be worth it for her to bring them here but I refused to do it for free.

The 3yo only comes 2-3 days a week and I charge her $10 a day (enough to cover his food). The 9yo comes 1-2 times every other week or so, holidays and school vacations. She owes me $95 as of today for the 3yo (I dont charge for the 9yo). It's for a total of 9.5 days so almost a month's worth of childcare at her special price. Oh and I never get his schedule ahead of time. Just finally I gave up and now just schedule my other clients first if I don't have his schedule, If i'm full ... too bad, so sad. But I agree, never again.
awestbrook713 03:02 PM 12-02-2011
I wonder when she will be asking the questions, I just can't wait to hear what she has come up with I am almost giddy. I am starting to look at all this opposition as a challenge I have to win.
Tags:family - friends, provider - burnout risk, provider - family, provider - friends
Reply Up