Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>UGH,.. Parent Ugh
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:42 AM 09-24-2010
I have a parent that will sometimes drop off around 1030am. No issue for me except that our outside time is from 830-10. They get here after we are out, parent proceeds to tell child that they missed park time, and will go out after nap,.... And our outdoor afternoon time is 4-530. Child is picked up by 330. So child whines all afternoon that dad says he can go out,... Then throws a huge fit that they dont get to go. I have began telling them they can go out as soon at home, to ask Dad. Well Dad is angry at me for making him look bad. Im so frustrated. Ive told them that our schedule is posted and doesnt change. That if a child misses an activity it is not "made up" at a later time. Its simply missed. Dad is clueless and today came in late, had told kid in car that if we were inside he would make sure to let me know he needed to go out to play while here. I stood my ground, told him that our day is very structured and planned and that we have things to do inside that dictates our outside time. He was mad,.. muttered something under his breath, walked out. I get a call from mom wondering why I dont let johnny play outside, that she is reporting me to licensing because every child deserves to go out. I reassure her that had johnny shown up earlier he would have gone out,.. or if he stayed later,.... so she says,... well we will start leaving him later then, we only pick up learly to give you a break,.We will pick up at 530. I said, that is fine,.. I will draw up the new contracts with the new times and fees. WHAT!?!?! new fees? what do you mean? well over 9 hours is an additional fee. So for him to stay 2 extra hours you will be charged 20 more per week for extended care,..... oh,.. well,..... I think we can just let him play outside at home,......

ugh.
marniewon 10:51 AM 09-24-2010
Just goes to show that every parent thinks their child is the only child that matters in the world. It's funny how quickly she backed down when it came to her paying more money!
thatgagirl 10:59 AM 09-24-2010
wow, that would be a family I would be looking to term asap if they are willing to call licensing because they can't get thru their skull the day is structured...sheesh
TGT09 11:02 AM 09-24-2010
GET.OVER.YOURSELF! Good grief, where do these parents think their "you know what doesn't stink"?! And, that their child is the only one that matters in care!
tmcp2001 11:02 AM 09-24-2010
Oh dear lord - that's just nuts. No advice, just commiserating! Hope the parents will settle down for you!
momofsix 11:05 AM 09-24-2010
A family that would threaten to call licensing. they would be gone as soon as possible. There is no way I could live with that threat hanging over my head-unbelievable!
DCMomOf3 11:29 AM 09-24-2010
I agree they took it very far.

Just an FYI though, in my state if I have a child for more than 3 hours I have to get them outside weather permitting of course.
MarinaVanessa 11:55 AM 09-24-2010
I'd be careful with this family and I would call licensing myself to report the issue right away just in case something else happens. Call them and just tell them that they the family is contracted for certain hours and they bring their child late and you have explained to them on several occasions that they need to arrive during these times to participate in scheduled activities and then explain the whole incident as you did here.

I'm just glad that you stuck to your guns. I totally agree about how funny it is that as soon as you start talking about extra fees and such that their attitude completely changes lol .
DanceMom 12:06 PM 09-24-2010
Oh My God. I would definately terminate also. No one is going to threaten reporting me...oh no no no no !! These parents...wow....all parents...are insane. haha
MommyMuffin 12:32 PM 09-24-2010
When my licensor came out to license me he told me that I should call and report any such comments. In my opinion I would not have a client that did not trust me enough to know that I would not operate under anything less than my license dictates. I would tell the client that as well....and then I would tell them good bye!
Good luck!
Lucy 12:48 PM 09-24-2010
I respect your stringent schedule (I don't have one, but I understand that some do). That being said, I think it's odd that they are inside at the best times of the day - 10:00 to 4:00. Seems like you'd want your outside time to be DURING part of those hours, not first thing in the morning when it's cool out (obviously depending on time of year and where you live), and in the late afternoon when it's also getting cooler out. But that's just me.

I would never change a schedule to suit ONE family though. Do what's best for you and your program.
missnikki 02:33 PM 09-24-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I'd be careful with this family and I would call licensing myself to report the issue right away just in case something else happens. Call them and just tell them that they the family is contracted for certain hours and they bring their child late and you have explained to them on several occasions that they need to arrive during these times to participate in scheduled activities and then explain the whole incident as you did here.

I'm just glad that you stuck to your guns. I totally agree about how funny it is that as soon as you start talking about extra fees and such that their attitude completely changes lol .
MY advice to the tee.
legomom922 03:54 PM 09-24-2010
Some states do require that each child has so much time outdoors. I agree though that those are very strange times to be out side. I would make it like 10-1130 or 2-330 or something like that.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 04:17 PM 09-24-2010
10 - 4 is preschool, lunch, play and nap. Its best not to have them out in the sun at that time here anyway. We go out of an early morning and of a late afternoon. Ive done it this way for 21 yrs. Im not changing because some dad cant get it together in the mornings. lol.

Originally Posted by Joyce:
I respect your stringent schedule (I don't have one, but I understand that some do). That being said, I think it's odd that they are inside at the best times of the day - 10:00 to 4:00. Seems like you'd want your outside time to be DURING part of those hours, not first thing in the morning when it's cool out (obviously depending on time of year and where you live), and in the late afternoon when it's also getting cooler out. But that's just me.

I would never change a schedule to suit ONE family though. Do what's best for you and your program.

My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:18 PM 09-24-2010
I would think if a parent was unhappy with their child's day, they would seek care elsewhere. If I upset a parent regaurding care I give their child, I wouldn't expect them to stay in my daycare, know what I mean?

When you have a group of daycare kids, you really do need to stick to a schedule and I don't think parents think that way. They really don't know what it is like. Their only focus is their own child(ren) and don't realize how much work it is to drag everyone else outside for one child or rearrange your schedule.
momofboys 08:01 PM 09-24-2010
Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
10 - 4 is preschool, lunch, play and nap. Its best not to have them out in the sun at that time here anyway. We go out of an early morning and of a late afternoon. Ive done it this way for 21 yrs. Im not changing because some dad cant get it together in the mornings. lol.
I don't think there is anything wrong with when you are taking them out to play. You shouldn't have to go out again because this child arrives so late & is picked up early. I also like going out early. I'd rather not fuss with putting sunscreen on 4-5 kids when I can avoid it part of the time by going out between 8:30-9:30 or so. Plus like you mentioned most kids in my care sleep between 1-3 so we aren't going out then. Is there a reason why the child comes so late, are they contracted to come earlier but they just don't?
momofboys 08:03 PM 09-24-2010

This time of the year where I am at it has still been quite warm during that timeframe. Today it was at least in the mid 60s (it hit 90 today!) around 8:30 am.
Lucy 09:10 PM 09-24-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
This time of the year where I am at it has still been quite warm during that timeframe. Today it was at least in the mid 60s (it hit 90 today!) around 8:30 am.

Arizona??

I understand. I guess I have the frame of mind of where I live. I'd never let them out earlier than 10. It all depends on your local weather.
AfterSchoolMom 06:18 AM 09-25-2010
I don't live anywhere near Arizona (on the east coast) and it was 98 here yesterday, 93 today. It's about 70 right now. I think that's a perfect time to take kids out if it's as hot there as it has been here!

I agree with both calling the licensor and about getting rid of this family, or at least letting them know that you don't appreciate being threatened.
momofboys 09:23 AM 09-25-2010
Arizona??

I understand. I guess I have the frame of mind of where I live. I'd never let them out earlier than 10. It all depends on your local weather.
Nope, not in Arizona. I'm in Ohio but it has been unseasonably warm. It is supposed to cool off some now (only getting to 70 today) so I will likely play outdoors a bit later- 9 - 10 & then again from 3 - 4.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 08:37 AM 09-27-2010
yes, dad doesnt work an outside the house job,. hes a proofer? for the publishing industry. Works from home.. but they still pay,.. still bring him. they are contracted for Moms work hours.

Originally Posted by janarae:
I don't think there is anything wrong with when you are taking them out to play. You shouldn't have to go out again because this child arrives so late & is picked up early. I also like going out early. I'd rather not fuss with putting sunscreen on 4-5 kids when I can avoid it part of the time by going out between 8:30-9:30 or so. Plus like you mentioned most kids in my care sleep between 1-3 so we aren't going out then. Is there a reason why the child comes so late, are they contracted to come earlier but they just don't?

DancingQueen 09:28 AM 09-27-2010
I got outside early too.
we go outside 9:30 - 10:30
because at 10:30 i start getting lunches ready. We eat at 11:15 and often times I'm cooking what is for lunch.
Plus during the summer 10-2 is the hottest time of the day and when they recommend staying out of the direct son. My back yard is full sun during those hours.

We go back outside at about 3pm til closing. During the times we are outside the backyard is mostly shaded during the summer and it is ideal conditions.

During the winter months I plan to adjust only slightly.
Going out from 9:45 - 10:45 and again at 3:15
thatgagirl 09:43 AM 09-27-2010
We do those time outside too SBS. Mornign is 930-1045 so I can get lunch ready lunch is 11-12 and then we do story and naps from 12-2. When everyone wakes up and we clean up I take them outside from 230-everyone leaves (4 ish)

Today it is a nasty nasty day outside with thunder and lightening, but I also have one out sick...so it is just an indoor day. Normally if it is just rain we still go out and stay under the covered patio and do arts or splash in puddles...but not with thunder and lightning
SilverSabre25 10:17 AM 09-27-2010
We go out from 11 to 12 (or it sometimes is more like 11:30 to 12) and then from 3:30 to close or 5 PM (most of my kids get picked up around 4:30). Lunch is at 12:30, naps from 1 to 3ish. Snack is at 3ish.
Tags:outside play, whining
Reply Up