Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Paying for College
Crystal 12:48 PM 09-29-2010
I just would like to share with you all information about Pell Grants, which help pay for college courses. The grants are for up to $5800 per year, with eligible students recieving half in the fall term and half in the spring term. These are Government Grants that do not have to be repaid. They more than cover the expense for a junior/community college, as well as for books. They can be used for both on-campus and on-line courses. You should first register with the school you plan to attend, and then apply for the grants. It is free to apply. The grants re based on your annual Adjusted Gross income on your tax return, as well as your family size. You can apply for the grants here:

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

Once you apply, the information will be sent to the school you have selected and the school will pay you your grants. You can, at most colleges, also apply for a Board of Governors Fee Waiver. This is in addition to the Pell Grants and it pays for your classes/units.

This is how I have paid for school. Let me know if you have any questions.
ConcernedMotherof2 01:30 PM 09-29-2010
Just an FYI on that note

The school I attend online (cough,kaplan,cough) went through the whole process of securing grants for me (I qualified for the full amount) as soon as I submitted my FAFSA with their school code on it.
Crystal 01:59 PM 09-29-2010
Yes, once I submitted my FAFSA, the school handled everything else.
MyAngels 02:27 PM 09-29-2010
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is only the first step in securing grant and scholarship money for college. Many of the federal and state grants, such as the Pell Grant, are need based, and so if your Expected Family Contribution is too high you do not qualify for them. If you're serious about getting through college without taking out a lot of student loans you should also search for other grant and scholarship money. There are hundreds of scholarships that go unclaimed every year simply because people don't know about them and don't apply for them. I would suggest getting a copy of How to Go to College Almost for Free by Ben Kaplan as a starting place.
Former Teacher 04:24 PM 09-29-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I just would like to share with you all information about Pell Grants, which help pay for college courses. The grants are for up to $5800 per year, with eligible students recieving half in the fall term and half in the spring term. These are Government Grants that do not have to be repaid. They more than cover the expense for a junior/community college, as well as for books. They can be used for both on-campus and on-line courses. You should first register with the school you plan to attend, and then apply for the grants. It is free to apply. The grants re based on your annual Adjusted Gross income on your tax return, as well as your family size. You can apply for the grants here:

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

Once you apply, the information will be sent to the school you have selected and the school will pay you your grants. You can, at most colleges, also apply for a Board of Governors Fee Waiver. This is in addition to the Pell Grants and it pays for your classes/units.

This is how I have paid for school. Let me know if you have any questions.

Crystal: I don't mean to offend because you know much I respect you, but what does this thread have anything to do with childcare/daycare? I saw you fussed at someone on another thread because they got off topic. I was just curious as to why you would post something like this.

Is it because maybe providers here can take a courses on childcare? Like I said I don't mean to offend or anything. Its just that there is no referance to children etc.. in here.
MarinaVanessa 06:02 PM 09-29-2010
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
Crystal: I don't mean to offend because you know much I respect you, but what does this thread have anything to do with childcare/daycare?
I know this question isn't directed to me but I just wanted to say that I was glad that she did post it. Although there are providers that don't take classes/courses in the child development field which is okay but there are some of us that do. I am currently taking self-instruction courses to get credit for obtaining a CDA (Child Development Associate) credential and just recently decided that I would take college courses as well to a) get there faster and b) might as well get a certificate of achievement in child development and then c) eventually get an AA.

For child care providers that want to do something similar or take some classes to better their business (even if taking business classes) this would help us out a lot since we don't make too much as it is.

I was excited when I read the post and went over to the link right away to get more info but was bummed out when I found that the cut-off for CA for the 2010-2011 year expired Sept. 1 . This would have been a great back-up plan for me if I didn't get the stipend program that I applied for. Oh well.
mac60 03:16 AM 09-30-2010
Pell Grants are based on the families income. And based on what some here have said they made per year, there is no way they would have qualified for them. I know last year our family made approx $32,000 for a family of 4, and we each qualified for about 85% of the Pell Grant. So there is no way some here would qualify based on the incomes they have stated here on the forum.
Crystal 06:36 AM 09-30-2010
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
Crystal: I don't mean to offend because you know much I respect you, but what does this thread have anything to do with childcare/daycare? I saw you fussed at someone on another thread because they got off topic. I was just curious as to why you would post something like this.

Is it because maybe providers here can take a courses on childcare? Like I said I don't mean to offend or anything. Its just that there is no referance to children etc.. in here.
Awww....no offense taken! And, yes, I suppose I should have specified that I meant paying for ECE/Child Development, although the grants can be used for most majors.

Re. going off topic, which I am about to do The thread you are referring to was posted in the parent forum, by a provider, seeking input from parents. Other members here went into that thread and continued to discuss/debate with that provider about another thread/topic in the Provider forum, taking the OP's thread off topic, and basically followed her into that thread to tell her how wrong she was. I requested that they keep that conversation in the provider forum in the original thread. THAT is off topic and not okay, IMO.

Again, no offense taken
Crystal 06:41 AM 09-30-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
Pell Grants are based on the families income. And based on what some here have said they made per year, there is no way they would have qualified for them. I know last year our family made approx $32,000 for a family of 4, and we each qualified for about 85% of the Pell Grant. So there is no way some here would qualify based on the incomes they have stated here on the forum.
Which is why, in my OP, I said The grants re based on your annual Adjusted Gross income on your tax return, as well as your family size

Now, re. " So there is no way some here would qualify based on the incomes they have stated here on the forum" If that is referring to me and my previous posts about income.....keep in mind that when I posted previously about my income, I stated my GROSS income, not my NET income after expenses (many of which I calculate back into my income later because they are expenses I would pay with or without my business) and then the grants are based on AGI, which is after medical expenses, one-half self-employment tax, etc. So, I qualified, although I wouldn't now.
Crystal 07:40 AM 09-30-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I know this question isn't directed to me but I just wanted to say that I was glad that she did post it. Although there are providers that don't take classes/courses in the child development field which is okay but there are some of us that do. I am currently taking self-instruction courses to get credit for obtaining a CDA (Child Development Associate) credential and just recently decided that I would take college courses as well to a) get there faster and b) might as well get a certificate of achievement in child development and then c) eventually get an AA.

For child care providers that want to do something similar or take some classes to better their business (even if taking business classes) this would help us out a lot since we don't make too much as it is.

I was excited when I read the post and went over to the link right away to get more info but was bummed out when I found that the cut-off for CA for the 2010-2011 year expired Sept. 1 . This would have been a great back-up plan for me if I didn't get the stipend program that I applied for. Oh well.
Thanks.

And, you should still apply.....even though it says the deadline has passed, MOST schools in Ca. will still allow you to apply and be approved....you just recieve your money a bit later. AND, you can get the grants in addition to your stipend.
MarinaVanessa 07:51 AM 09-30-2010
Well thanks Crystal for posting this anyway. I book-marked the link so that I can apply in April for the 2011-2012 year. Seeing as to how I only have 1 FT child and the rest are PT this would help out a lot and I would deffinetely qualify for the summer/fall 2011 using my tax forms for this year. I'll take your advice and still apply for the spring semester and see what happens.

The nice thing about this as of right now is that I'm not married so myself and my fiance prepare our taxes seperately so I would deffinetely qualify since my only income is daycare.
Crystal 08:03 AM 09-30-2010
You're welcome

Funny how trying to post something helpful and useful seems to be turning into a debate, guess it's becoming the norm.
momofboys 09:54 AM 09-30-2010
Well thanks Crystal for posting this anyway. I book-marked the link so that I can apply in April for the 2011-2012 year. Seeing as to how I only have 1 FT child and the rest are PT this would help out a lot and I would deffinetely qualify for the summer/fall 2011 using my tax forms for this year. I'll take your advice and still apply for the spring semester and see what happens.

The nice thing about this as of right now is that I'm not married so myself and my fiance prepare our taxes seperately so I would deffinetely qualify since my only income is daycare.
That's good for you but I almost see that as being dishonest. Regardless of how you file your taxes doesn't your fiance contribute to your household bills, etc? I see that as taking advantage of the system & getting something you really aren't entitled to. JMO since I am guessing you don't pay all your bills from your one dc child's fees. BTW when I got my 4 year degree I did qualify for these grants but it was b/c my parents were very, very low middle-class. I am the youngest of 6 kids (all who went to college on either scholarships or with the assistance of grants, etc). My dad was a farmer & my mom basically was a SAHM. My dad brought in less than 21K a year (this was in the mid 70s, & 80s). So yes we totally qualified to get assistance. I'm not disagreeing that getting the grants would help, I am sure they would but it seems liek a dishonest way to go about getting them. I also mean no ill will toward you! I think you seem to be a great provider/person so please don't take my comments personally.
missnikki 10:30 AM 09-30-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
That's good for you but I almost see that as being dishonest. Regardless of how you file your taxes doesn't your fiance contribute to your household bills, etc? I see that as taking advantage of the system & getting something you really aren't entitled to. JMO since I am guessing you don't pay all your bills from your one dc child's fees. BTW when I got my 4 year degree I did qualify for these grants but it was b/c my parents were very, very low middle-class. I am the youngest of 6 kids (all who went to college on either scholarships or with the assistance of grants, etc). My dad was a farmer & my mom basically was a SAHM. My dad brought in less than 21K a year (this was in the mid 70s, & 80s). So yes we totally qualified to get assistance. I'm not disagreeing that getting the grants would help, I am sure they would but it seems liek a dishonest way to go about getting them. I also mean no ill will toward you! I think you seem to be a great provider/person so please don't take my comments personally.
She is totally allowed to do that. Her fiance isn't claiming her as a dependant, so he's getting the 'short end'. It all works out.
MarinaVanessa 03:36 PM 09-30-2010
Originally Posted by missnikki:
She is totally allowed to do that. Her fiance isn't claiming her as a dependant, so he's getting the 'short end'. It all works out.
Yes exactly (sorry to get off topic) and no offense taken really. I guess it kind of evens out because my DC income goes towards HIS mortgage payment not OUR mortgage payment (the house is his only) so I don't get to claim as much for the money that I give him from my income. It's the same for the bills, does that make sense?

I was explained that because I am not under the mortgage then I can't claim time/space % for the entire amount, only for the amount that I give him each month. So if I was on the mortgage we were married and did our taxes together and the mortgage was let's say $3,000 and I gave him $1,000 a month from my DC income we could claim the time/space % for the entire $3,000. Since I am not then I can only claim time/space % for the $1,000 that I do give him. Same goes for the utilities. Another reason that we don't get married is because well, we're poor lol. Which is why I need to apply for programs in order to be able to take classes... which leads, to the higher education that, the more I learn to be able to have a better program etc.

In essence it's a trade off and even then not a very good one since classes cost $80 per class plus the cost of books which is anywhere from $35-$150 for each class.
Former Teacher 04:35 PM 09-30-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Awww....no offense taken! And, yes, I suppose I should have specified that I meant paying for ECE/Child Development, although the grants can be used for most majors.

Re. going off topic, which I am about to do The thread you are referring to was posted in the parent forum, by a provider, seeking input from parents. Other members here went into that thread and continued to discuss/debate with that provider about another thread/topic in the Provider forum, taking the OP's thread off topic, and basically followed her into that thread to tell her how wrong she was. I requested that they keep that conversation in the provider forum in the original thread. THAT is off topic and not okay, IMO.

Again, no offense taken
Thanks Crystal for clearing it up for me. I pretty much thought that is what you meant but sometimes I do have my moments!
MyAngels 04:36 PM 09-30-2010
Yes exactly (sorry to get off topic) and no offense taken really. I guess it kind of evens out because my DC income goes towards HIS mortgage payment not OUR mortgage payment (the house is his only) so I don't get to claim as much for the money that I give him from my income. It's the same for the bills, does that make sense?

I was explained that because I am not under the mortgage then I can't claim time/space % for the entire amount, only for the amount that I give him each month. So if I was on the mortgage we were married and did our taxes together and the mortgage was let's say $3,000 and I gave him $1,000 a month from my DC income we could claim the time/space % for the entire $3,000. Since I am not then I can only claim time/space % for the $1,000 that I do give him. Same goes for the utilities. Another reason that we don't get married is because well, we're poor lol. Which is why I need to apply for programs in order to be able to take classes... which leads, to the higher education that, the more I learn to be able to have a better program etc.

In essence it's a trade off and even then not a very good one since classes cost $80 per class plus the cost of books which is anywhere from $35-$150 for each class.
Hopefully this is on topic - I don't want to get scolded - if you take classes and need books be sure to take a look at renting (I use chegg.com) and also the international versions of textbooks (much cheaper to buy). In my experience the international versions are identical in content to the US published books but much cheaper. I've been renting, though, at about 1/4 of the cost of buying books for both of my college age kids for two years now.
legomom922 06:07 PM 09-30-2010
Oh my...Even when you try to be helpful on here, people chew you a new one..

Many providers are also PARENTS, and many parents from the other board come over here, so I see nothing wrong with posting a Off Topic on its OWN thread. Does every single question HAVE to be about childcare? Cant we ever talk about other stuff? I have a suggestion...if a thread is O/T, and if that bothers you, just don't read the thread! And how about adding a O/T board?

Crystel,sorry for the attacks you have been getting, but THANK YOU for posting that info! It is helpful!

Gee, I was going to ask for prayers for my cat, but thats O/T
QualiTcare 06:43 PM 09-30-2010
vanessa,

i wouldn't wait until april. you can start filling out the fafsa on january 1st each year (and that's what i used to do). even if you can't qualify for grants, you can get loans with very little interest. if you do qualify for grants, they sometimes want to verify your income. i think they require income verification for 1 out of every 3 people. so, the sooner you apply - the better. it gives you more time to get the information they request and for them to process it.
momofboys 06:51 PM 09-30-2010

I think I sort of understand but it's hard to wrap the details around my brain Wowza, is your mortgage really that high? I know you were just using those numbers as an example. If it is you are very rich compared to me, lol! Ours is not even 1/3rd of the number you quoted but I know it all depends on where you live, I live in a relatively LCOL area & I assume in CA yours is much higher.
Tags:grants
Reply Up