Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just A Question Or Two...
Miss A 01:16 PM 05-18-2017
1) I introduced a child sized couch and chair this week, and they do not invite sitting as I intended, the kids carry them around everywhere instead. I have tried giving clear, concise expectations about their use, I have put them back in place multiple times, and I have resorted to taking them away after they drag them around, play tug of war over them, pushed someone's off of them so that they could carry it away. I don't know what else to do! What do you guys do with your child sized furniture?

2) 18 month old boy chews up and spits out his food at every single meal. If I catch it right away I remove him from the table immediately. But, if I am spoon feeding a baby I don't always catch it right away. This kid makes a huge mess, spits out all his drink each time, and I am SO over it. I dread feeding him because of the mess. What can I do about this?
mommyneedsadayoff 02:04 PM 05-18-2017
Originally Posted by Miss A:
1) I introduced a child sized couch and chair this week, and they do not invite sitting as I intended, the kids carry them around everywhere instead. I have tried giving clear, concise expectations about their use, I have put them back in place multiple times, and I have resorted to taking them away after they drag them around, play tug of war over them, pushed someone's off of them so that they could carry it away. I don't know what else to do! What do you guys do with your child sized furniture?

2) 18 month old boy chews up and spits out his food at every single meal. If I catch it right away I remove him from the table immediately. But, if I am spoon feeding a baby I don't always catch it right away. This kid makes a huge mess, spits out all his drink each time, and I am SO over it. I dread feeding him because of the mess. What can I do about this?
I don't have child furniture, so I wil just comment on the second issue.

When I have "spitters", I limit the amount of food I give them. For example, instead of a full plate or cup of food, I reduce it to a bite of each option and a TB or so of liquid. If they spit that out, they get no more. If they eat it, I replace it as needed. Once they have control over that issue, they get a full plate and glass. Licensing and regs may have a certain amount of food you must give them, so you may want to t check into that, but for me (legally unlicensed), I am not withholding food, just giving it in tiny portion sizes until they get the point that food is for eating, not spitting all over.
Miss A 02:11 PM 05-18-2017
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I don't have child furniture, so I wil just comment ont he second issue.

When I have "spitters", I limit the amount of food I give them. For example, instead of a full plate or cup of food, I reduce it to a bite of each option and a TB or so of liquid. If they spit that out, they get no more. If they eat it, I replace it as needed. Once they have control over that issue, they get a full plate and glass. Licensing and regs may have a certain amount of food you must give them, so you may want to t check into that, but for me (legally unlicensed), I am not withholding food, just giving it in tiny portion sizes until they get the point that food is for eating, not spitting all over.
Thank you! I too am legally unlicensed, and I thought of that but didn't know if it was "right". I'll be implementing this tomorrow!
Josiegirl 02:55 PM 05-18-2017
I would take the child-sized furniture away and tell them why. Then re-introduce it in a week or so to try again. Repeat if necessary. You could only let the ones who are using it correctly, use it but that would be awfully time-consuming.
JackandJill 07:34 PM 05-18-2017
I was so excited when I got a few hand me down Anywhere Chairs from Pottery Barn.... and then the kids did exactly what you described

No one sat in the cozy book nook I made. They dragged them around, jumped on them, fought over them, the older boys would even hit each other with them. So they did not last very long.
AmyKidsCo 08:16 PM 05-18-2017
I have 2 couches in our book nook, but they barely fit in there so the kiddos can't get them out. Sometimes they rock on them, and those children have to stay out of the book nook until the next major part of our day, like a meal or going outside, nap, etc.

ITA about giving the spitter less food and as soon as he spits take it away. I wouldn't put him down right away though, let him sit with the others for a while and be bored rather than getting to play while they're all at the table.

I'm on the food program and there is a minimum you need to have AVAILABLE for each child, but you don't have to SERVE it all at once. So you could start out giving him 5 peas, as long as you keep giving him more when he asks and have the minimum on hand so he could have that much if he wants.
knoxmomof2 07:00 AM 05-20-2017
I have child sized wooden table and chairs, that's it. They stay at the table for the most part. Occasionally, they want to move them to use to make a bus, a barn, a couch, etc. I let them as long as they're being careful with the chairs and each other. I don't allow them to climb under any of it (too many bumped heads, it's inevitable). I would establish rules and if they don't follow, take them out or disallow certain kids to use them after several warnings. With anything in the daycare, I tell them "that's my chair that I share with you. If you're not careful with it, you can't use it." But I do like to let them be creative and sometimes use things in different ways than originally intended (within safe reason). I will say that I once bought an Ikea tent and it just never went well. They couldn't seem to share the space nicely, you can't see what is going on, and they wanted to kick at it and try to knock it down, etc so I took it out. Some toys just don't work out...

I ended up putting one of my 3 year olds in it for naptime. Now, the oldest 2 of my group of 4 earn the privilege of being able to nap in them (as long as they are able to control themselves and not play in them). They're great for visual dividers between the kids. ☺️

As far as the spitter, I 2nd the others : kids here who stuff their mouths or spit/ throw food get limited portions at a time.
Reply Up