Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Using Clay With Kids
kendallina 11:59 AM 06-18-2013
Hi everyone, Has anyone here used modeling clay with kiddos? My kids are older (mostly 4-5) and I've been wanting to do some projects with clay, but I'm not sure what the best (cheapest as well as easiest to manipulate) kind of clay would be.

Suggestions on type of clay??

Also, what kinds of projects have you done with clay?

Thanks!
Katy
Blackcat31 12:20 PM 06-18-2013
I use Crayola modeling clay.

It is very kid friendly and easy to manipulate.

http://www.crayola.com/products/cray...-clay-product/
LK5kids 01:23 PM 06-18-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

That's what I use too and it never dries as in NEVER! I have old scissors in the cup and they roll it out and snip it. I am bad and keep the colors separate, as it turns gray if they mix it.
MarinaVanessa 01:52 PM 06-18-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I use the same thing also. I don't use it very much as opposed to play-dough (homemade) but I like to use it because it's more firm and the 2 yo's have to really knead it and that's great for their small muscles in their hands. I give them dough scissors (safety scissors that only cut paper) and rollers and of course I do only one color at a time.
Crystal 02:15 PM 06-18-2013
We use regular ole' artist/pottery clay. Comes in red or grey, can be air dried and painted, is super easy to clean up because when it dries on the table/floor/hands it's like dust. We use REAL tools and the children are quite skilled at using it. I buy it at the college bookstore, 25 pounds for $10. I keep it out all the time and just cover it with wet towels at the end of the day or when they are not using it.
nothingwithoutjoy 06:08 PM 06-18-2013
Clay is available in our studio at all times. If I were starting a whole new class, I would offer the clay for quite a long time with no tools, just to get a good feel for what it does. Then add tools. Since mine is always there, and kids join the group in progress, the tools are always available, too. (Tools=some real clay tools, craft sticks, chopsticks, rolling pins (real food ones, not little wimpy kid ones), meat tenderizer mallets, wooden massage rollers, wire for cutting). When a lot of kids are just getting familiar with clay, I will clear the room and put the clay on the floor and let them explore it with their whole bodies. Over time, it becomes something they know to get themselves and use as they want.
kendallina 09:58 AM 06-19-2013
Great info! Thank you so much! I live in a college town, so I think I will try the bookstore and get a big slab of it. Super excited!
MarinaVanessa 11:47 AM 06-19-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
We use regular ole' artist/pottery clay. Comes in red or grey, can be air dried and painted, is super easy to clean up because when it dries on the table/floor/hands it's like dust. We use REAL tools and the children are quite skilled at using it. I buy it at the college bookstore, 25 pounds for $10. I keep it out all the time and just cover it with wet towels at the end of the day or when they are not using it.
I never thought to buy it at the college bookstore. Obvious but genious
Tags:clay, modeling clay
Reply Up