Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Visit Other Daycares???
hawaiianscorpion 05:32 AM 06-18-2013
Hi there! I am new to the childcare scene and I plan on opening up a daycare in a few weeks. Not only am I rather new to the area that I live in, I haven't personally used a daycare provider in over 12 years...so I am a bit out of touch in how much to charge, what parents nowadays are looking for, and everything else in between. I read somewhere that providers should call or visit other daycares annually to gauge how they should run their own business. Have any one of you done that? Called other providers and went on a tour at their place? If that is what I should do to get an idea of the business of daycare, I will do it but I am hesitating on picking up the phone because I am honestly feeling as though I am being deceitful and wasting their time. Thanks!
Leigh 06:09 AM 06-18-2013
Originally Posted by hawaiianscorpion:
Hi there! I am new to the childcare scene and I plan on opening up a daycare in a few weeks. Not only am I rather new to the area that I live in, I haven't personally used a daycare provider in over 12 years...so I am a bit out of touch in how much to charge, what parents nowadays are looking for, and everything else in between. I read somewhere that providers should call or visit other daycares annually to gauge how they should run their own business. Have any one of you done that? Called other providers and went on a tour at their place? If that is what I should do to get an idea of the business of daycare, I will do it but I am hesitating on picking up the phone because I am honestly feeling as though I am being deceitful and wasting their time. Thanks!
Maybe your area has an association of in-home providers...check around. As far as touring their daycares? You'll just see a house full of toys. Maybe send a letter to a provider and ask for an appointment with her to talk about her business and be upfront that you are going into business yourself, as well. You may find someone willing to talk with you.
Blackcat31 06:12 AM 06-18-2013
Originally Posted by hawaiianscorpion:
Welcome to the forum!

I have visited several providers in my area. I am lucky to live in a community where child care providers help and support each other more than they view each other as competition.

I also mentor new providers in my community that are just starting out and help them get their business plans and physical spaces ready for business.

I would see if there is a local association in your are and join in. I would also just pick up the phone and call other providers, tell them you are a new provider and looking to see if you can network or connect with them.

Some may be happy to help and others, maybe not so much but you will never know unless you try!

Nothing ventured = nothing gained....kwim?
blandino 06:24 AM 06-18-2013
Maybe visiting a provider who is in your area, but who is far enough away that they are out of an area of direct competition ?
cheerfuldom 07:02 AM 06-18-2013
you can also learn a lot by checking out local facebook and website pages! but yeah I wouldnt just tour places without being upfront about your reasons. thats deceitful.
Unregistered 07:08 AM 06-18-2013
My area has an association and we do a tour of homes every fall. Also, if you have a child care resource and referral in your area, contact them. They can give you info on rates etc..
crazydaycarelady 07:11 AM 06-18-2013
Our resource & referral has hosted a Tour of Providers for several years so I have toured probably 15 other childcare facilities, homes to centers. I find it very interesting to see others philosophies and set-ups. I have gotten some good ideas and some ideas of things I definitely don't like also.

One lady had wooden boxes built that sat on the carpet and she put crawlers in them to crawl around. I couldn't believe it! I would never do that! Also her place reeked of bleach (and I like the smell of bleach!) But I also got other decorating ideas and book area ideas. Honestly it made me feel really good about my place!
hawaiianscorpion 08:35 AM 06-18-2013
Thanks for the quick responses! I did a quick Google search on associations in my area and found some info so I will take a closer look later tonight. Thanks! I didn't even think about that. And as for visiting other providers' homes...I'll call a few in a town over and tell them up front what I am doing. Great ideas you guys...thanks!
Starburst 09:00 AM 06-18-2013
If your the timid type or cant find any one who is willing so give you a tour or talk to you in your area, instead of looking at other daycares on site, look for ideas on layouts try looking on YouTube for decoration/set up ideas. You can also look up on websites of other providers (you can probably find some of craigslist) for marketing ideas and layouts (many have virtual tours of their facilities).

Also consider joining the 'Providers in Training' group on the forum- it's a group for people who are either planning on opening a daycare in the near future or in the early stages/first few years of starting a daycare. I sent you an invite (group monitor).
Tags:competition
Reply Up