Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Max Hours Per Day in Group Family Childcare in MN?
MARSTELAC 08:53 AM 10-19-2010
Does anyone know if there is a maximum number of hours a child can be in group family daycare in Minnesota? I cannot find an answer
daysofelijah 10:51 AM 10-19-2010
I think 10 hours is the recommended, but I don't think there's an official number.
DCMomOf3 11:36 AM 10-19-2010
I can't find a number either, but according to the gov website, standard hours are 6am to 6 pm, so I would say 12 hours.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/rules/?id=9503.0015

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/rules/?topic=157215
ddnanny13 07:53 AM 10-20-2010
Not sure on a number for you, but if you don't mind... why do you ask?
Unregistered 08:24 AM 10-20-2010
In MD day shift is from 6am to 6pm and night shift is from 6pm to 6am if you are just licensed for day shift you have to be in the day shift hours if you are licensed for day and night can can be open 24 hours.
MARSTELAC 09:24 AM 10-20-2010
I don't mind at all.. I am open 7-5:30 ( I changed from 6:30 to 6) When I was open the original hours, some families would drop off at 6:30 and pick up at 6 or even ask me to open earlier and close later when I KNOW they didn't need to be at work that early or late. So, I changed. I still have them here at the earliest possible minute to last second and again the calls for open early and stay open late. I was just wondering if there was a law that could limit the hours they were here. I charge a flat rate so probably shouldn't mind but I honestly do care because the parents do not need me to care for their children that long each day. Ok, this has become a vent, sorry!
momma2girls 11:15 AM 10-20-2010
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
I don't mind at all.. I am open 7-5:30 ( I changed from 6:30 to 6) When I was open the original hours, some families would drop off at 6:30 and pick up at 6 or even ask me to open earlier and close later when I KNOW they didn't need to be at work that early or late. So, I changed. I still have them here at the earliest possible minute to last second and again the calls for open early and stay open late. I was just wondering if there was a law that could limit the hours they were here. I charge a flat rate so probably shouldn't mind but I honestly do care because the parents do not need me to care for their children that long each day. Ok, this has become a vent, sorry!
I agree with you!!
ddnanny13 01:36 PM 10-20-2010
I agree with you that parents don't need you to care for their children when they aren't at work. I have the same problem with one of my moms. When it gets bad I usually "vent" to her about the problem as if it's another parent thats doing it and not her. She then becomes cautious about not doing the same thing and makes sure she is picking up as soon as she can. I think this only works because she is somewhat of a friend and doesn't want me to think badly of her. If this parent isn't like that with you then I would maybe type a letter stating that your hours and rates are based on 40 hour work week and care should be reflected as such. Thus you are requesting that children be left in your care for no more than 10 hours max per day. Figure an 8 hour day, 1 hour lunch, and drive time... would that work?
Blackcat31 01:45 PM 10-20-2010
Just called my licensor and asked about max hours in care. She said no limit what so ever. Thought I'd pass it on.
MARSTELAC 04:04 PM 10-24-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Just called my licensor and asked about max hours in care. She said no limit what so ever. Thought I'd pass it on.
\

thank you! must be nice to have a licensor that will call you back that fast! too bad about no limit on hours
Unregistered 04:17 PM 10-24-2010
I can appreciate that no one wants to work 12 hours days, especially with lots of kids that have many different moods, but entrusting my children to someone so I can go focus on my job is extremely important and to know that the person I give my children to is throwing comments about me to others about how long I am at work is upsetting. I agree it should not happen on a regular basis but the average salaried employee is expected to put in 45-50 hours a week and it would be nice to eat at lunch plus commute time (avg. 15-20 minutes). Last minute meetings can happen and consistently saying "I can't go because of my kids" is career suicide so then it becomes job or kid. I have enough guilt about going to work and being away from my child. If I get a half day or get the opportunity to be done early-I am going to get my kids because I enjoy spending time with them. I guess if 10 hours is too long for you to watch children, perhaps you should consider getting an assistant to can give you a break for an hour or two or find another career. I know there are a lot of those who take advantage, but most of us are just trying to put food on the table like everyone else.
Former Teacher 02:50 AM 10-25-2010
In TX it is 12 hours max. My former center is open 630-630. We would have kids (they still do) there from 630-630. I think a child should be in care no longer than 11 hours. 8 hour day, 1 hour break and then 1 hour each way commute time. I am being generous on the commute time because even I work an hour away.

This is kind of a vent for me so I will stop while I am ahead
Blackcat31 06:16 AM 10-25-2010
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
\

thank you! must be nice to have a licensor that will call you back that fast! too bad about no limit on hours
You are so welcome MARSTELAC! My licensor is awesome! She answers the phone all the time and is so readily available for providers. I swear she has her office calls forwarded to her cell if she is not in office, because I can honestly say, I don't think I've had a problem geting her on the phone any time I have ever called. She has only been our licensor since 2008, but so far so good! So, if you ever have questions, e-mail me, I'll ask her! LOL!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 08:58 AM 10-25-2010
Here I have had kids as long as 14 hours,.. Depending on how far they have to go to get a job, how long their hours are and how long traffic makes their commute. As long as they are honest upfront and compliant,... I can work with long hours. What I hate however and will not tolerate,... showing up 2 hours late because they had to go get their hair done after work and didnt tell me. didnt ask if I had plans and didnt answer their cell when I tried to call.
MARSTELAC 09:16 AM 10-25-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
You are so welcome MARSTELAC! My licensor is awesome! She answers the phone all the time and is so readily available for providers. I swear she has her office calls forwarded to her cell if she is not in office, because I can honestly say, I don't think I've had a problem geting her on the phone any time I have ever called. She has only been our licensor since 2008, but so far so good! So, if you ever have questions, e-mail me, I'll ask her! LOL!
Awesome! I will take you up on that. I love my licensor but she is overworked! She has too much on her plate and not enough help. I sometimes wait weeks for responses to questions. Luckily I have all of you for help! Enjoy your day!!!
Unregistered 09:05 PM 08-24-2011
I absolutely agree with you. Knowledge of pick up is always helpful. Especially when parents have signed contract with specified times for drop off and pick up. I can understand if there are issues regarding work, travel conditions, etc., but even so a phone call would be nice.

As for the parent's comment mentioned earlier about working a salaried 45-50 hr work week, we as daycare providers also work 50-60 hr work weeks with little to no breaks. Hiring an assistant would be fabulous however that would also mean increasing the parents weekly payment to cover for the additional cost. If arrangements were made to pick up your child after a 10 hour day and you are not permitted to pick you child up earlier than agreed upon than arrangements should be made for a designated person(s) to pick your child up at the appropriate time.
Tags:2010, hours, minnesota
Reply Up