Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bleach Ratios?
Christina72684 11:23 AM 01-14-2012
Ok I'm so confused on what the bleach solution ratios should be. I've heard one ratio for cleaning toys, one for dishes (we don't have a dishwasher), one for tables and bathrooms, etc. Here's what I've been told:

9:1 (according to the guy that taught our CPR and Universal Precautions)

1TB bleach/1 Quart Water for DISINFECTING TOYS (Spray)

1TB bleach/1 Gallon Water for SANITIZING TOYS (soak 2 mins)

1/4 Cup bleach/1 Gallon Water for DISINFECTING AREAS (Spray tables, etc)

1 1/2 TB bleach/1 Gallon Water for SANITIZING DISHES (After washing)

How do you do it? Do you have multiple spray bottles? What's the easiest way to do all this?
PitterPatter 12:48 PM 01-14-2012
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
Ok I'm so confused on what the bleach solution ratios should be. I've heard one ratio for cleaning toys, one for dishes (we don't have a dishwasher), one for tables and bathrooms, etc. Here's what I've been told:

9:1 (according to the guy that taught our CPR and Universal Precautions)

1TB bleach/1 Quart Water for DISINFECTING TOYS (Spray)

1TB bleach/1 Gallon Water for SANITIZING TOYS (soak 2 mins)

1/4 Cup bleach/1 Gallon Water for DISINFECTING AREAS (Spray tables, etc)

1 1/2 TB bleach/1 Gallon Water for SANITIZING DISHES (After washing)

How do you do it? Do you have multiple spray bottles? What's the easiest way to do all this?
Here we don't have different measures for dif items. It's either 1 TBSP to quart or 1/4c to a gallon. I have it in a sprayer (1TBL) for wiping tables, chairs, railing and doorknbs etc. But when I mop or disinfect toys in the sink things like that then I use the Gallon (1/4c)
Childminder 01:52 PM 01-14-2012
Here in MI we have one ratio. 1 teaspoon to a quart and 1 Tablespoon to a gallon
Sunchimes 02:36 PM 01-14-2012
At this amount, does the spray have any bleaching effect? I've been driving myself crazy (and probably creating extra work) to keep it from dripping on the rug or getting on the curtains. But, I wonder if it has any effect at such low amounts.
Unregistered 07:37 PM 01-14-2012
We use 1TB bleach/1 quart water in a spray bottle for wiping down tables, high chairs, diaper changing areas, in the bathroom, & cleaning small toys that can not be soaked in water. When we wash dishes or toys, we usually dont measure out the bleach, you just pour a lil, depending on the size of your sink & how much water is in it..

We also use Simple Green for tables, chairs, high chairs & diaper changing areas.
Unregistered 11:28 AM 03-22-2015
An easy way to determine how to dilute liquid bleach in a daycare setting:

5.25% liquid bleach contains 52,500 parts per million (ppm) of Chlorine, the element required to disinfect non-porous hard surfaces.

One (1) tablespoon = .5 liquid ounces (fl oz) =15 milliliters (ml) of solution

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)states ( 21 CFR Part 173) that any chlorine containing disinfectant used to disinfect a surface that will come into contact with food and subsequently ingested must contain less than 200 ppm of chlorine. If not in must be rinsed with clean, potable, water after the disinfecting solution dries. Interestingly, the only item in a daycare center, outside of food preparation counters, is the highchair tray. Since we all know that toys always end up in a child’s mouth, I would hope that your will treat toys as carefully as a food contact counter top.

For non-food (mouth) contact surfaces a solution containing 500 ppm of chlorine is more than sufficient to kill 99.9999% of bacteria found in a daycare center and many common viruses. Using a stronger solution will not impact, to any great degree, the disinfecting qualities of the solution. The EPA has accepted that a solution of 100 ppm of chlorine is required to claim a 99.9999% reduction in organisms. A solution between 100 and 500 ppm is plenty strong enough to kill organisms but not strong enough to discolor clothing, carpets or drapes.

1 TBSP (0.5 floz) of 5.25% liquid bleach (less than 6 month old) diluted in a gallon of water will yield a disinfecting solution that is 205 ppm (close enough). To produce a disinfecting solution in a 32 floz (1 qt) bottle that is at or less than 200 ppm, use ¼ of a TBPS of concentrate. To create a solution containing 500 ppm in a 32 floz bottle, 3/4 TBSP of concentrate. To create a solution in a gallon of water that is 500 ppm use 3 TBSP of concentrate.

Be very careful when mixing. The concentrate (52,500 ppm) will discolor anything it comes into contact with. It can also burn unprotected skin and damage the eyes.

You may want to Google Bleach Crystals to read more about an alternative to liquid bleach. It is easy to handle and never strong enough to discolor material when mixed according to directions.
Unregistered 11:58 AM 03-22-2015
An easy way to determine how to dilute liquid bleach in a daycare setting:

5.25% liquid bleach contains 52,500 parts per million (ppm) of Chlorine, the element required to disinfect non-porous hard surfaces.

One (1) tablespoon = .5 liquid ounces (fl oz) =15 milliliters (ml) of solution

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)states ( 21 CFR Part 173) that any chlorine containing disinfectant used to disinfect a surface that will come into contact with food and subsequently ingested must contain less than 200 ppm of chlorine. If not in must be rinsed with clean, potable, water after the disinfecting solution dries. Interestingly, the only item in a daycare center, outside of food preparation counters, is the highchair tray. Since we all know that toys always end up in a child’s mouth, I would hope that your will treat toys as carefully as a food contact counter-top.

For non-food (mouth) contact surfaces a solution containing 500 ppm of chlorine is more than sufficient to kill 99.9999% of bacteria found in a daycare center and many common viruses. Using a stronger solution will not impact, to any great degree, the disinfecting qualities of the solution. The EPA has accepted that a solution of 100 ppm of chlorine is required to claim a 99.9999% reduction in organisms. A solution between 100 and 500 ppm is plenty strong enough to kill organisms but not strong enough to discolor clothing, carpets or drapes.
1 TBSP (0.5 floz) of 5.25% liquid bleach (less than 6 month old) diluted in a gallon of water will yield a disinfecting solution that is 205 ppm (close enough). To produce a disinfecting solution in a 32 floz (1 qt) bottle that is at or less than 200 ppm, use ¼ of a TBSP of concentrate. To create a solution containing 500 ppm in a 32 floz bottle, 3/4 TBSP of concentrate. To create a solution in a gallon of water that is 500 ppm use 3 TBSP of concentrate.

Be very careful when mixing. The concentrate (52,500 ppm) will discolor anything it comes into contact with. It can also burn unprotected skin and damage the eyes.

You may want to Google Bleach Crystals to read more about an alternative to liquid bleach. It is easy to handle and never strong enough to discolor material when mixed according to directions.
Tags:bleach, cleaning solution
Reply Up