Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Improve the Look
missD 12:19 PM 03-04-2015
Hi there! I was hoping you all could help me improve the look of my eating area. I bought a small adjustable table as shown, it's the perfect height for kids. I also ordered some small kid sized, padded green chairs. Although they aren't here yet. Please give me some ideas on how I can make this space more appealing. What can I add? Please ignore the clutter around the open space, as that will obviously not be there

Also, I have posted a photo of my play area. Please tell me what you think about it. I'm just starting out, so please keep that in mind. I'm just trying to appeal to parents and kids. And hope that I can achieve that.

Lastly, where can I purchase items like, banners and posters that are educational and fun for young kids?
Attached: IMG_6692.jpg (99.7 KB) image.jpg (59.3 KB) 
Madukes 12:39 PM 03-04-2015
Hello, I'm just starting out as well and looking for ideas. your playroom looks great you seem to be headed in the right direction. I'd try your local dollar stores for classroom/playroom decor for your walls. Good luck!
missD 12:46 PM 03-04-2015
Originally Posted by Madukes:
Hello, I'm just starting out as well and looking for ideas. your playroom looks great you seem to be headed in the right direction. I'd try your local dollar stores for classroom/playroom decor for your walls. Good luck!
Thank you! I appreciate that. I never thought to check the dollar store for decor. I'm going to cross my fingers and hope they have some! It would be great to get some stuff for a decent price!
Good luck to you as well!
Controlled Chaos 12:46 PM 03-04-2015
Hello! Maybe some cute little posters of healthy food, manners or something like that by the table? Or you will probably use it for art too, so really any cheerful images

My 2 cents: Think of ways you can separate different areas of play with the toys. I think it tends to show off your toy selection better for parents and makes it easier to manage several children when you have clear separations from one activity to another. This can be done by using a toy box as a barrier or even a rug or blanket to mark the area as different.

Good luck and welcome
Rockgirl 12:48 PM 03-04-2015
I've found some great posters at Dollar Tree! My favorite thing to hang on the wall, though, is kids' artwork.
Shell 12:55 PM 03-04-2015
I think it looks great. I agree with either putting up kids artwork or posters in the section above the little table.
missD 12:56 PM 03-04-2015
Thanks ladies. I think adding some posters of food groups, manners, etc, is a good idea. It just looks so empty over there lol. That little table is tiny. I thought about adding something to the side of the table but don't want to clutter. Just to fill the space in a bit more.
TheGoodLife 02:30 PM 03-04-2015
Yes, Dollar Tree was great for my classroom and my daycare! If you have one in your area, it's perfect- usually a good selection of decor and other teaching items.
missD 02:38 PM 03-04-2015
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife:
Yes, Dollar Tree was great for my classroom and my daycare! If you have one in your area, it's perfect- usually a good selection of decor and other teaching items.

I luckily have a Dollar Tree, and it's super close by! I'm going to go check them out and see what all they have. Unfortunately we have been having some nasty weather, so I may be stuck home tomorrow.

Would it be a good idea to put a plastic storage container, with drawers, over next to the table? Maybe I could store arts and crafts supplies in it, since I will be using the area for those sorts of activities as well. That would help fill some of the space also. Thoughts?
jenboo 02:41 PM 03-04-2015
I'm a big fan of not having things pushed up against the walls. I like bringing shelves and stuff away from the walls and dividing up the room.
missD 02:52 PM 03-04-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I'm a big fan of not having things pushed up against the walls. I like bringing shelves and stuff away from the walls and dividing up the room.
I'm scared if I do that I will really be cutting into my space. I plan on getting one more black shelf for the play area, and may play around with blocking it off, as the play area.
daycare 03:56 PM 03-04-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
ditto here too. When you have a big open space,it invites the kids to run.

I like to arrange things so that the children have defined play spaces and that they are not invited to run around the room.

I would do the following:

create a kindness wall with the kids pictures and their names on it. Pinterest has a lot of great ideas on that.

I would hang the ABCs and Numbers 1-20 at least. these are things that the kids can relate to over time when they learn their numbers and letters

Book shelf with a cozy reading area set away from loud toys or in an area not near the toys.

I would also label all of the toy area with pictures of the items so come clean up time they would know where to put things back.

maybe an art wall to display their art work. Dont use push pins lol, sorry had to throw that out there.

in the eating area I would post pictures of good table manners, maybe some abc's again. I would add their names again to the eating area.

kids will always learn the letters in their name first. Find as many places as you can to post their names. I laminate the names and then put on the table. each meal kids have to go find their name. I change it every meal. They hunt for their name every meal. By age 2 most of my kids have this down pact.
Ariana 04:13 PM 03-04-2015
Originally Posted by missD:
I'm scared if I do that I will really be cutting into my space. I plan on getting one more black shelf for the play area, and may play around with blocking it off, as the play area.
Big open spaces do not create more space but they can create more chaos. Use shelves as dividers and break areas up into sections for art, quiet play, reading, gross motor, loud toys etc. This creates a much more visually appealing space. I would also add more natural things like plants or wooden shelves/furniture etc.
nothingwithoutjoy 04:50 PM 03-04-2015
I like natural and uncluttered, with a focus on the children, rather than on the toys. So my suggestion for your eating area would be to use that large open space above the table to display large black-and-white photos of the kids, or a great close-up photo or two (large) of the kids at play, or just something beautiful that you love. I'd use baskets or some other beautiful way of organizing supplies along that ledge above the table. And a vase of flowers up there, or a plant, would add life and beauty.

In the play space, if you put your second black shelf perpendicular to the wall, coming out where that blue tub is, it would cut down on visual clutter and would create a little nook that would encourage sit-down play rather than roaming play.
Josiegirl 02:25 AM 03-05-2015
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
I like natural and uncluttered, with a focus on the children, rather than on the toys. So my suggestion for your eating area would be to use that large open space above the table to display large black-and-white photos of the kids, or a great close-up photo or two (large) of the kids at play, or just something beautiful that you love. I'd use baskets or some other beautiful way of organizing supplies along that ledge above the table. And a vase of flowers up there, or a plant, would add life and beauty.

In the play space, if you put your second black shelf perpendicular to the wall, coming out where that blue tub is, it would cut down on visual clutter and would create a little nook that would encourage sit-down play rather than roaming play.
Just a question to touch upon the shelf idea...how tall does a shelf have to be before it needs to be anchored to the wall?

I love the ideas that have been brought up so far! I wish some of you could come to my daycare and redecorate for me.
nothingwithoutjoy 04:08 AM 03-05-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Just a question to touch upon the shelf idea...how tall does a shelf have to be before it needs to be anchored to the wall?
Not sure....but I'd anchor something sticking out like that.
Unregistered 08:54 AM 03-05-2015
My Dollar Tree has framed art work, like butterflies, that I have hanging in my dining area.
Tags:decor, remodel, renovate
Reply Up