Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Playground Question
Unregistered 09:13 AM 03-25-2010
What do you use under your playground equirment? Wood chips, bark mulch, grass or dirt, sand etc.
Michael 07:58 PM 03-25-2010
Rubber Mulch is another alternative: http://rubberecycle.com/
Former Teacher 05:14 AM 03-26-2010
My former center had pea gravel but I am sure there are better options are there
mac60 05:23 AM 03-26-2010
I started out having my Little Tykes climber and castle on the grass. The grass got wore down to mudd, we had to move it everytime we mowed. it was a pain in the butt. Then I took over my husbands garden area. I used landscape timbers and edged the area off. I put down a weed barrier, then I went to Menards and for under $100 I bought the green outdoor carpet (it is recycled plastic so will last forever) and landscape U shaped things to hold it down. So, my playarea is covered with outdoor carpet. It works abosolutely great. When it rains, it dries faster than the grass, the water just seeps through. If it needs clean, I can sweep it with a broom or hose it off. It is no different than playing on the real grass, only without all the destruction and mess. It has went thru 2 winters and it is in the same condition as when I put it down.

I originally started out with mulch, and after spending about $75 in mulch the first year and it breaking down and needing much more the 2nd year, I came up with this. Not to count how many times I had to clean mulch out of my yard because they threw it all over the grass.
originalkat 06:44 AM 03-26-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
I started out having my Little Tykes climber and castle on the grass. The grass got wore down to mudd, we had to move it everytime we mowed. it was a pain in the butt. Then I took over my husbands garden area. I used landscape timbers and edged the area off. I put down a weed barrier, then I went to Menards and for under $100 I bought the green outdoor carpet (it is recycled plastic so will last forever) and landscape U shaped things to hold it down. So, my playarea is covered with outdoor carpet. It works abosolutely great. When it rains, it dries faster than the grass, the water just seeps through. If it needs clean, I can sweep it with a broom or hose it off. It is no different than playing on the real grass, only without all the destruction and mess. It has went thru 2 winters and it is in the same condition as when I put it down.

I originally started out with mulch, and after spending about $75 in mulch the first year and it breaking down and needing much more the 2nd year, I came up with this. Not to count how many times I had to clean mulch out of my yard because they threw it all over the grass.
I HEAR YOU MAC 60! Right now we have our play structure on the grass. I pull it around to different areas of the yard when the grass starts to wear down to mud. Not to mention the pain of moving it EVERY time we mow! This summer I plan to redo the play area and am really wondering what to do for the surface under it. I too dont want wood chips all over the grass but that is what I was planning on buying. How would you prevent this from happening?!? Do you have any pictures of your fake grass area? I am interested in exploring this option but would love to see what it looks like first.
mac60 07:18 AM 03-26-2010
original kat....send your email to my private message and I will email you a pic.
Liliya 07:59 AM 03-26-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:

What do you put under that carpet,?I use wooden chips now and it is a pain,I have to add more chips every year and for my assessments it is never enough,All I know it should be 4 inches deep. So,how it will work with that carpet.Can you please send me a picture too???I will send you my e-mail.
Unregistered 09:07 AM 04-30-2010
I have a FCCH and I am too interested in placing the green carpet down for my play area. Having a mixture of children especially toddlers, I want them to be safe and be able to explore.
Do you have pictures and the process in how you did your play area?
sahm2three 07:32 AM 05-01-2010
Just grass here. I don't want woodchips or mulch all over my grass.
Unregistered 09:07 AM 05-01-2010
Waaah! Looks like you may have posted the pic, then deleted it??? (There is a quote that won't direct link now)

I so wanted to see the pic, could you pretty please post it again?
jen 11:34 AM 05-01-2010
Sand...it is a bit of a mess but the kids love it...
originalkat 12:06 PM 05-02-2010
Yes, Mac 60 I wish I could still see the picture of your play area too. On a side note...I think we are going to go the artificial grass direction under our new playset but in a natural brown fleck color. I hope it works out!! I am going to Lowes to pick it up now. I will post a picture when it is completed.
kitkat 02:54 PM 05-02-2010
Thanks for posting that again! I've been thinking about this post all week; it's been muddy under our swings this week and I was trying to figure out how I could use the grass carpet. The picture really helps! I love the castle!
Unregistered 05:52 PM 07-17-2010
Originally Posted by unregistered:
what do you use under your playground equirment? Wood chips, bark mulch, grass or dirt, sand etc.
i'm trying to open up a daycare and need to know what i need to do
Michael 04:20 PM 07-18-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
i'm trying to open up a daycare and need to know what i need to do
This is off topic. But start here:

You state's requirements and contact numbers located at:
https://www.daycare.com/states.html

Daycare Startup Guide Kit:
https://www.daycare.com/starting_a_daycare/index.html

Accredited Daycare Classes:
http://www.pennfoster.edu/urm.php?so...cro/index.html
Kernelfernald 05:49 PM 04-26-2012
Im a contractor to a good sized daycare in Pennsylvania. I'm looking for a 24' x 24' outdoor carpet for a playground we built. We have been using a fake grass outdoor carpet we purchased from lowes. But the largest width size is 12' or 15' so we had a seam. It always tends to separate and fray which gets us written up in inspections. Is there any way to special order the size I need?
Childminder 07:11 PM 04-26-2012
Contact companies that do golf domes and indoor sports arenas would work, just google it. We used commercial outdoor carpet used for boats that we picked up used from a craigslist ad and it hasn't frayed or shown any wear in three years. Love It!.
DaycareMama 07:39 PM 04-26-2012
can anyone post some more recent pics of your outdoor carpet? I just completed my back yard up to regs with the mulch but the small part that is left where grass should be looks horrible.

I am really considering the fake grass carpet....

Do you put anything underneth it to prevent mold, mud or anything else?
Childminder 06:39 AM 04-27-2012
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ght=playground
This thread probably will answer all your questions and has lots of photos too.
dEHmom 06:52 AM 04-27-2012
I just purchased a very large outdoor structure.

My licensor informed me that here infants/toddlers are not allowed up higher than about 2 feet (because standing at the top of the slide makes it more like 3-4 feet fall if they fell.

As for the older kids, same deal (if structure landing is 4 feet up they are more like 6-7 feet fall if they tumble over.

She suggested sand or pea gravel, as that will increase the age range for use on the structure. I'm hesitant about sand (because of animals/cats in the neighborhood) and the pea gravel to me just screams "eat me" to the littles, because I'm battling the putting stuff in the mouth right now.

I'm thinking I'll likely look into the rubber chips and see how much they will cost here.

If they fall and land on a flat surface, they can really get hurt is what I was informed. Unless you have a completely closed off fort up top, and a tube slide. But licensor told me even still, whereever they are climbing up into the fort, is a perfect place from them to fall still. OYE!
DaycareMama 09:52 AM 04-27-2012
Originally Posted by Childminder:
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ght=playground
This thread probably will answer all your questions and has lots of photos too.
Thank you
Tags:bark mulch, carpet, mulch, playground surfaces, wood chips
Reply Up