Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCPs Providing Food?
mamac 06:42 PM 03-14-2013
Has anyone dealt with a dcp that wants to provide their child's food for the dck? I am currently licensed but not ready to open but I got my first call yesterday from someone looking for child care. After telling her that I was enrolled with the food program she asked if she could provide the food for her child. I didn't ask, but she didn't mention any allergy issues.

Does anyone allow that? Does it become an inconvenience or an issue? I was so unprepared for this phone call!

Also- I'm assuming that if they provide the food, I can't claim them on the food program, correct?
sahm1225 06:49 PM 03-14-2013
I have one family that sends food for dcb. He has allergies and (according to parents) a picky eater. I serve him his food and usually supplement with our food. I think the parents enjoy making his meals and they send me tons of food for him (all healthy) so I don't mind.
mamac 06:50 PM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
I have one family that sends food for dcb. He has allergies and (according to parents) a picky eater. I serve him his food and usually supplement with our food. I think the parents enjoy making his meals and they send me tons of food for him (all healthy) so I don't mind.
I was adding info when you posted- Does that mean if you supplement you can still claim the meal?
Francine 06:54 PM 03-14-2013
Personally with the group that I have right now I would love it if ALL of the parents would bring lunch. I don't care about breakfast and snacks but lunch I might just as well make most days and then just throw it in the trash unless it is chicken nuggets or PB&J. Right now I have my parents bring me snacks every week, I have been thinking seriously about changing my policy to say that I will provide all snacks and require them to bring lunch. I am tired of throwing away food!
mema 06:55 PM 03-14-2013
You can't claim it if they bring it unless it is a baby and breastmilk. I don't have any that bring their own. I think the only way I would allow it was if there was an allergy that I couldn't accommadate. Not sure what that would be tho. If you do, I would make sure you set some boundaries. Like it needs to be cooked and ready for you to just reheat if you are willing. I wouldn't want them to bring in a box of noodles and say, here, cook this.
butterfly 06:57 PM 03-14-2013
I've never allowed parents to bring their own food. I think it would cause too many issues with other children wanting what they have, whining, etc. It's easier for me to supply it all and try to meet special diet requests for allergies, etc. I'm on the food program too.
MissAnn 07:03 PM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
Has anyone dealt with a dcp that wants to provide their child's food for the dck? I am currently licensed but not ready to open but I got my first call yesterday from someone looking for child care. After telling her that I was enrolled with the food program she asked if she could provide the food for her child. I didn't ask, but she didn't mention any allergy issues.

Does anyone allow that? Does it become an inconvenience or an issue? I was so unprepared for this phone call!

Also- I'm assuming that if they provide the food, I can't claim them on the food program, correct?
I have a child with gluten and dairy intolerances in my program. According to the food program I must supply her food. If the mom supplies the food I would have her give me receipts and I would have to reimburse her for that amount. Or I could just not have her child enrolled in the program and the mom would supply all the food.
MissAnn 07:13 PM 03-14-2013

I have a child with gluten and dairy intolerances in my program. According to the food program I must supply her food. If the mom supplies the food I would have her give me receipts and I would have to reimburse her for that amount. Or I could just not have her child enrolled in the program and the mom would supply all the food.
Starburst 07:18 PM 03-14-2013
I would just let her know the foods you offer and let her know that if you did let her bring food you don't allow nuts/peanutbutter (some kids are allergic to just the smell of it) or junk food like candy, cookies, macdonalds(or else other kids in your program will start making a big deal about it)
frgsonmysox 07:26 PM 03-14-2013
One of my parents supplies their own, but also pays me for feeding their child. He said his daughter eats so much that he'd rather help me out, lol. It's not a huge deal. She basically eats the lunch her dad provides and I feed her everything else.
Texasjeepgirl 07:40 PM 03-14-2013
I actually had this happen.. summer before last..
Mom was single..
She requested to provide daycare boy's food..
She preferred him to eat.. from scratch.. no gluten.. low or no sugar...
organic...
I allowed.. and yes.. it was a slight distraction for the other kids.. they would always ask what he was having.. But.. as time went on..
I asked a ton of questions.. and I supplemented with her permission.....
I saw the types of things that she brought for him...and I purchased similar items.. if not the same..
it wasn't that much of a stretch most of the time...
if it was.. I wouldn't have done it..
and...
it really expanded the items I served..
I would wait till he arrived (she was a school teacher)...
then I'd check his bag.. see what he had for the day.. and try to serve same.. or similar items... it worked fine.. and.. I gained several new recipes from the experience...

MNMum 07:52 PM 03-14-2013
I had a vegetarian family that interviewed. They said they would provide the child's food if necessary.
Sugar Magnolia 03:28 AM 03-15-2013
My parents provide their child's lunch, 100 percent! Easy easy easy as pie. Love it!
NeedaVaca 04:50 AM 03-15-2013
I think I would consider it for allergies but otherwise it would cause problems for me. I get everything ready for meals quickly with an almost assembly line approach! Doing different for all my kids would take a lot longer. I would be concerned about bringing "junk" and the other DCK's wanting it...

I would ask the mom why! Maybe she just thinks he's a picky eater. If that's the case I can't count the number of times parents say that but my kids eat everything I serve and LOVE it
itlw8 05:34 AM 03-15-2013
depends on the reason allergies then yes I have a friend that is a Celiac any gluten can cause problems.

If that is a problem you also need to be aware playdough and many art materieals have gluten in them.

Picky eater and sending junk... nope

my kids learn fast when child has an allergy so I think if they were told why they would not whine about what someone else has.

I had severe milk allergies as a child. Mother would send my snack to preschool. I remember her bringing my special icecream to a party in a fancy dish
hope 05:48 AM 03-15-2013
I don't allow parents to bring their own food. If they have allergies than I provide an allergy free meal. I am worried that if parents supply than they will bring in candy and chips. It is very hard to have all the kids to eat properly to begin with. Can't imagine what it would be like if lil Johnny was eating doritos while the rest were eating carrot sticks!
BumbleBee 07:22 PM 03-15-2013
I have a parent who supplies all food for her child. I simply did not enroll the child in the food program (I asked my sponser first).
Willow 07:58 PM 03-15-2013

If you start stumbling around with your thoughts because a question throws you try to remember the phrase - "I'm not sure, can you tell me more about that?"

It's great for phone interviews, in person interviews and for day to day interactions with parents.

I probably wouldn't go for such a request. I am willing to feed children complete and healthy meals and snacks, if a child has a good reason for needing to be fed a special diet I would be more than willing to accommodate that and would hope a parent would trust I was competent enough to do so.
e.j. 01:38 PM 03-16-2013

If they provide the food, you wouldn't be able to claim them on the food program. If a parent wanted to provide their child's food, it would be okay with me as long as the food met food program guidelines and it was ready-to-eat or just needed to be nuked. I wouldn't want to have to cook a second meal every day.

I'd ask why the parent is asking to provide the food. It could be due to allergies - which you'd want to be aware of anyway. It could be pickiness or it could be due to something like religious beliefs. I had never thought about it until recently but I read an article written by someone who had brought food to a sick friend only to find out later that the friend couldn't eat it because her religious beliefs required her to eat only food cooked in a kosher kitchen. Depending on the reason the parent gives, I'd either agree to let her bring food or try to encourage her to sign up with the food program. I don't think I'd let it be a deal breaker unless she wanted to bring junk food for a poor eater.
melilley 02:03 PM 03-16-2013
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Hi Miss Ann. I just saw your post and have a question for you if you don't mind. I too have a child with gluten and dairy intolerance and am on the food program. I do substitute foods as closely to the foods that the others eat, but I feel like some of the things are so repetitive for the child. What types of things do you make for the child that you have with the intolerance? I know there is a gluten free section at Meijer, but I really have to look to make sure there is no dairy. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks!
melilley 02:09 PM 03-16-2013
I do not let parents bring in food. I am on the food program and provide all foods. I have a child who is intolerant to gluten and dairy. The mom brought food for the first week, but I just talked to her and reassured her that I would buy the right food for him. I let her look it over to make sure I buy the right things because I am new to making/buying foods for a gluten free diet. But I suppose that if I absolutely couldn't substitute for a certain allergy, I would allow them to bring it and not claim them for the program, but in extenuating circumstances only.
melilley 02:12 PM 03-16-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
depends on the reason allergies then yes I have a friend that is a Celiac any gluten can cause problems.

If that is a problem you also need to be aware playdough and many art materieals have gluten in them.

Picky eater and sending junk... nope

my kids learn fast when child has an allergy so I think if they were told why they would not whine about what someone else has.

I had severe milk allergies as a child. Mother would send my snack to preschool. I remember her bringing my special icecream to a party in a fancy dish
Hi. I have a child who can't have dairy or gluten. I did think of the play doh thing. Do you know of any recipes for play doh that is gluten free?
mamac 02:18 PM 03-16-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
If you start stumbling around with your thoughts because a question throws you try to remember the phrase - "I'm not sure, can you tell me more about that?"
Thanks! I'm definitely going to use that. I was so shocked to have gotten the phone call that it took me a minute to process what she was actually calling me for. I know when I start interviewing "for real" I'm still probably going to have that deer-in-the-headlights look, but at least they won't see me through the phone and this sentence will give me enough time to regroup.
MissAnn 02:34 PM 03-16-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Hi Miss Ann. I just saw your post and have a question for you if you don't mind. I too have a child with gluten and dairy intolerance and am on the food program. I do substitute foods as closely to the foods that the others eat, but I feel like some of the things are so repetitive for the child. What types of things do you make for the child that you have with the intolerance? I know there is a gluten free section at Meijer, but I really have to look to make sure there is no dairy. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks!
We use brown rice a lot. I used brown rice even before I had a child with a gluten intolerance. I also use rice cakes and corn tortillas instead of bread. I don't use gluten free breads because the ingredients scare me. For spaghetti I do use the gluten-free noodles. I made a two week menu and I rotate it so I don't have to have a huge variety of different meals that I serve. For breakfast I serve brown rice with maple syrup twice a week And gluten-free cereal three times a week. You can use oatmeal too.

The food program will only accept certain types of milk substitute. I buy lactose-free milk for this child. The mom lets me give her ice cream, yogurt and cheese which makes no sense to me. I do have a doctors note to avoid dairy and gluten but I am not convinced that she really has a problem.

I have an app for my iPhone that will scan barcodes and let you know if that product is dairy or dairy free. The app is called shopwell.
melilley 09:54 PM 03-16-2013
We use brown rice a lot. I used brown rice even before I had a child with a gluten intolerance. I also use rice cakes and corn tortillas instead of bread. I don't use gluten free breads because the ingredients scare me. For spaghetti I do use the gluten-free noodles. I made a two week menu and I rotate it so I don't have to have a huge variety of different meals that I serve. For breakfast I serve brown rice with maple syrup twice a week And gluten-free cereal three times a week. You can use oatmeal too.

The food program will only accept certain types of milk substitute. I buy lactose-free milk for this child. The mom lets me give her ice cream, yogurt and cheese which makes no sense to me. I do have a doctors note to avoid dairy and gluten but I am not convinced that she really has a problem.

I have an app for my iPhone that will scan barcodes and let you know if that product is dairy or dairy free. The app is called shopwell.
Thanks!
Blackcat31 07:50 AM 03-17-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Hi. I have a child who can't have dairy or gluten. I did think of the play doh thing. Do you know of any recipes for play doh that is gluten free?
Here are a couple gluten free play-doh recipes

http://www.parents.com/fun/activitie...-dough-recipe/
http://www.food.com/recipe/gluten-fr...y-dough-359023
http://nourishinghope.com/2012/03/gl...ydough-recipe/
MrsSteinel'sHouse 08:53 AM 03-17-2013
The remark about no milk but cheese, yogurt oh I so know the answer to this one. It is the lactose found in milk. I can not tolerate milk and have been tested. I do tolerate cheese, yogurt. It is not an allergy per se but an intolerance. It is a silly world we live in.
oh here is another one. I can eat almonds, drink almond milk but I am highly intolerant to almond oil and anything with it in it like lotion etc. I break out so bad!
My dd can not tolerate cow, beef, milk, cheese any of it. Ds can not tolerate additives, preservatives or food colorings
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:00 AM 03-17-2013
And the original question- I do not allow parents to bring food for their children unless it is for a specified time when trying to isolate allergens or triggers. I have had parents do elimination diets and then yes I do allow that. Or if they are in the middle of being treated for intolerances and they are "tweaking" what they can eat. I simply explain to the other kids that "Johnnie" is on a special diet for the next few weeks so we can figure out what makes his belly hurt and what doesn't and they are generally fine with that. Usually what they bring is so limited the others aren't that interested
Long term allergy I adjust and provide. One little one right now is on rice milk.
MissAnn 12:43 PM 03-17-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
The remark about no milk but cheese, yogurt oh I so know the answer to this one. It is the lactose found in milk. I can not tolerate milk and have been tested. I do tolerate cheese, yogurt. It is not an allergy per se but an intolerance. It is a silly world we live in.
oh here is another one. I can eat almonds, drink almond milk but I am highly intolerant to almond oil and anything with it in it like lotion etc. I break out so bad!
My dd can not tolerate cow, beef, milk, cheese any of it. Ds can not tolerate additives, preservatives or food colorings
That's good to know. Oh, but I have seen this child on Facebook at a birthday party with a gluten cupcake in hand. I know the mom of birthday kid and confirmed it. Drives me nuts to realize I have to be so careful when they are the ones breaking their rules.
Blackcat31 03:31 PM 03-17-2013
That's good to know. Oh, but I have seen this child on Facebook at a birthday party with a gluten cupcake in hand. I know the mom of birthday kid and confirmed it. Drives me nuts to realize I have to be so careful when they are the ones breaking their rules.
In order to provide the child's food on the food program, you should have to have a special diet statement from the child's physician so that should confirm the child's dietary needs.

I can't say I would or wouldn't be surprised if mom was not being truthful about it but atleast you would have covered your bases with the Dr.s statement.

...and for what it's worth, if I saw what you did on FB and had doubts about what the parent was or wasn't doing, I would call them out on it. See what she says about it.
MissAnn 03:59 PM 03-17-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
In order to provide the child's food on the food program, you should have to have a special diet statement from the child's physician so that should confirm the child's dietary needs.

I can't say I would or wouldn't be surprised if mom was not being truthful about it but atleast you would have covered your bases with the Dr.s statement.

...and for what it's worth, if I saw what you did on FB and had doubts about what the parent was or wasn't doing, I would call them out on it. See what she says about it.
I do have a doctors note on a Rx pad, but no, I have not confronted mom. I decided to see if I see this happen again and then will confront her. I truly hate confrontations!
Blackcat31 04:15 PM 03-17-2013
I do have a doctors note on a Rx pad, but no, I have not confronted mom. I decided to see if I see this happen again and then will confront her. I truly hate confrontations!
I wouldn't accept the RX on the doctor's pad. I would insist on the form the food program supplies. My sponsor uses this one. You are free to print it off and use it as well. It is pretty thorough. One is with a disability and one is without.
melilley 07:11 PM 03-17-2013
Awesome thanks!!!
Sunshine74 08:15 PM 03-17-2013

If someone is gluten free, you have to be very careful with oatmeal. Oats have gluten, but they do make gluten free oatmeal. However some people with Celiac's or gluten sensitivities cannot eat that either due to trace amounts of gluten.

Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
I also have a lactose intolerance but can have cheese, yogurt, ice cream (to a lesser extent).
Tags:allergies, providing - food
Reply Up