Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>parent disclosing too much information
Nurse Jackie 10:44 PM 06-24-2016
I had a sahm use my drop in service faithfully at least once a week. Well one day at drop off she just started telling me everything that was going on between her and dcd relationship. As she got further into the conversation I quickly realized this was a horrible idea me listening to her relationship problems. All I did was listen and nod my head trying to have a sympathetic look on my face while trying to figure out how to end the conversation. I most definitely did not offer any advice because I learned along time ago if you don't have the common sense to realize when its time to go my advice will not convince you. I guess I kind of felt bad because she's from another country and moved here to be with the father of her child. She has no family or friends in the U.S.. Finally after about 45 minutes of me looking and not saying too much I was able to end the conversation. That was 4 weeks ago and I haven't seen them since. Because she hasn't been back I had to let go of my Friday boy because I have full-time spots to fill and I had a family needing immediate care and I couldn't offer them the spot because the friday boy was taking up the friday spot. Her daughter would come for the most part 2 days a week and because I charged more for drop in care and I had the friday boy I didn't mind having 2 light days out of the week because I wasn't really missing out on a lot of pay not having the full time spot filled. Heres my question how do you avoid these types of situation? I don't want to lose out on money because a parent gives out too much information and then becomes to embarrassed to come back.
Controlled Chaos 07:36 AM 06-25-2016
That's a bummer. 45min wow...

I might send a text asking if dcf wants the drop in spots next week and if they don't let you know by --- then you will offer them someone else. If they jump on not wanting to lose the spot great, if not I would look at filling the spot or advertising for more drop in clients. I like drop ins too.

In the future, I might after realizing a parent was unloading personal info say "oh my! I hate to interrupt, you clearly have a lot on your plate. But I have to change Suzy and get snack ready. Hope you have a nice day. See you this afternoon!" And then walk away.
Reply Up