Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wet Diapers, Fleece and Eczema
Unregistered 03:47 PM 06-15-2016
I'm going to get right to the point. I have a 2 year old dcb (just turned 2) and he has been in care for 6 months July 10. He has bad eczema and has red and torn up skin since starting. Mom is a self declared "naturalist" and doesn't want to use steroids. She has me putting and all herb and lilac oil lotion on once a day and dresses him in fleece footy pjs 24/7 so he can not scratch himself until he bleeds.

Temp here in Alaska has been around 55-65, highest 68 within the last week.

Friday I told mom that I need other clothes for him that are cooler as its summer time and next week (now this week) it's supposed to get into the 70-80's for temperature outside. I also told mom that he only had 3 wet diapers Friday and I was worried about his water intake, mom said she'd keep an eye on it.

I was closed Monday.

Tuesday he had 4 wet diapers and came in a cotton full body footed jammy. Last night I told her it was supposed to get hot the next few days so pack me something for him that is good for hot weather (tomorrow and Friday it's supposed to up to 75 and 82)

Dcb was dropped off at 8:15am, in thick fleece pjs, and has not had a full wet diaper (I changed him once and the diaper was barely wet) and its now almost 2:30. That will be 6 hours. He will be here until 5:30pm.

I've been trying to get him to drink nice cool water but he's only had about a cup. He's napping now and I hope that he has a good wet diaper when he wakes... But...

I'm concerned. Is 6 hours an ok time frame to not pee enough for a 2 year old? He is no where close to potty training, so it's not that...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Thriftylady 03:51 PM 06-15-2016
I would demand mom see a doctor. I say that being a person who suffers from excema. It is miserable. My skin gets at times like you are describing. I have to have steroid cream when it does. Sometimes they give me oral steroids, but they avoid that as much as possible since I am diabetic. I use a lot of herbal therapies myself, but sometimes you need a doctor. I may consider calling CPS if she refused medical care, but I for sure would refuse to keep him another day without a doctors note with a diagnosis and a treatment plan.

As far as the water and wet diapers. I am not sure. Someone else here hopefully can offer you more info on that.
childcaremom 03:51 PM 06-15-2016
I would send home because he is not prepared for the day. As you requested.

I would also turn away at the door tomorrow if he is not prepared.

I would also consider reporting so that he can get proper treatment. Poor thing.
jenboo 04:05 PM 06-15-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I would demand mom see a doctor. I say that being a person who suffers from excema. It is miserable. My skin gets at times like you are describing. I have to have steroid cream when it does. Sometimes they give me oral steroids, but they avoid that as much as possible since I am diabetic. I use a lot of herbal therapies myself, but sometimes you need a doctor. I may consider calling CPS if she refused medical care, but I for sure would refuse to keep him another day without a doctors note with a diagnosis and a treatment plan.

As far as the water and wet diapers. I am not sure. Someone else here hopefully can offer you more info on that.
I agree with this. My eczema is really irritated by oil and sweat. When i was little it used to get like how you are describing it. It was painful. I would not accept the boy until he had seen a dr and has proper clothes.
Thriftylady 04:08 PM 06-15-2016
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I agree with this. My eczema is really irritated by oil and sweat. When i was little it used to get like how you are describing it. It was painful. I would not accept the boy until he had seen a dr and has proper clothes.
Is that what the issue is in summer? I thought it was just the heat alone. I am so glad I finally got diagnosed in January after 4 years of issues with no diagnosis. I am doing so much better this summer knowing how to treat my skin. This poor baby needs to get that treatment also. And most of my treatment involves no steroids. Just found the right soap and the right lotion, but he will need them to get this calmed down I am afraid.
JackandJill 04:12 PM 06-15-2016
I would turn away or send home if he doesn't have more weather appropriate clothes! That's crazy, poor kid.

I would think he should have more wet diapers and be drinking more water, though I am not sure what the exact amount should be. Dehydration is a serious issue in little kids, it can go from bad to worse very quickly! Maybe call a pediatricians office to see what their thoughts regarding that issue are.
AmyKidsCo 06:59 PM 06-15-2016
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Me too. Heat and sweat make mine worse.

I understand the dcm not wanting to use steroids, I try not to also. Mine gets better when I use organic lotion. Non-water based ointments help too, like CeraVe or Aquaphor.
284878 05:36 AM 06-16-2016
My mom has it, as did Grandma. My mom doctor sends her to some light treatments, where she sits with lights on her skin. She also uses the lotions list above.

If his is not approving, she might not have the right oil for him.
Thriftylady 08:29 AM 06-16-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Me too. Heat and sweat make mine worse.

I understand the dcm not wanting to use steroids, I try not to also. Mine gets better when I use organic lotion. Non-water based ointments help too, like CeraVe or Aquaphor.
I am thinking the non-water based lotions have been a big factor for me. My doctor explained it as the water based ones actually dehydrate fast, and some think as they do, they steal moisture from your skin. He actually said Vaseline is best, but I just can't do the gross stuff. I wonder if changing lotions has made a bunch of my difference, because soap and lotion is the only thing I do differently. I haven't had a flare up since January, and haven't had to use my steroid cream since then either.
Blackcat31 08:44 AM 06-16-2016
As a long time sufferer of Eczema I use only Aveeno lotion made for Eczema or Eucerine. Both are very helpful at soothing.

I would recommend cotton ONLY pants and tops. Cotton breathes better and does not trap the moisture or heat in which both aggravate the rash.

If mom is really into holistic and natural remedies, refer her to the local health food stores. I take 1 oz of Aloe Vera juice each morning and have eliminated citrus and dairy from my diet. I have not had any flare ups or issues for several years now.
AmyKidsCo 08:23 PM 06-16-2016
Lucky ladies!

I actually went several years without a flare-up. I think this one was caused partly by using Bath & Body Works lotion all winter (even though I know better) and stress over planning my parents' Anniversary party and having 2 student teachers this summer.

Now that the party is over and I've stopped using BBW it'll get better. I'll have the student teachers all summer but that'll be less stressful as we get to know each other and they get used to my routine.
Unregistered 08:51 PM 06-17-2016
0P here with an update.

mom sent dcb in a thinner footy pj and a pair of shorts and a shirt in a bag to be changed into. Shorts are just sweatpants cut down but at least their shorts. Talk to mom about being worried about dehydration at pick up and to keep an eye on dcb and if he's not peeing more then he'll need to be seen by a doctor Thursday. Thursday morning drop off she said that Wednesday night to Thursday morning the child had three full wet diapers. I allowed drop off because he was doing better. All Thursday he had about 3 barely wet diapers. I had to dress dcb in some of my son's old summer clothes because the sweat shorts and thick t-shirt that mom sent for summer clothes were going to be to hot.

Dad picked up ( mom and dad are divorcing) and he was updated on what was going on.

Today dad dropped off in footy but packed me a thin shirt and shorts. We changed into those after breakfast. I Applied the herbal lotion with lilac oil mom gave me for his eczema (we've been using it for a month almost to the day. dcb doesn't like it and has been crying "no! Ouchies!! No!" So I've told mom that I haven't been using it, so she gave me a vitamin E lotion) before nap. I did not put him back in his footy because he'd get way to hot, so I left him in shorts, socks and t-shirt. Nap was around noon, during nap dcb tore himself open horribly! His left foot from ankle to toes was bleeding and oozing clear fluid!!! I applied first aid and wrap with gauze after applying antibacterial cream on the open wounds... I felt so horrible for the little boy...

Had DH call dad and tell him that I needed dcb to be picked up. Told him that we need dcb to see a doctor. Dad said that he was already ahead of us on that, that on his way to pick up he called mom and demanded that mom let him take dcb to a doctor and get things figured out. Dad commented that Dcb's eczema treatment is one of the things they are divorcing over. Dad told me that mom finally gave the OK as long as steroids or Benadryl weren't used.

Told dad to remember to get me a doctors note so I can apply lotion here as well.
Thriftylady 07:37 AM 06-18-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
0P here with an update.

mom sent dcb in a thinner footy pj and a pair of shorts and a shirt in a bag to be changed into. Shorts are just sweatpants cut down but at least their shorts. Talk to mom about being worried about dehydration at pick up and to keep an eye on dcb and if he's not peeing more then he'll need to be seen by a doctor Thursday. Thursday morning drop off she said that Wednesday night to Thursday morning the child had three full wet diapers. I allowed drop off because he was doing better. All Thursday he had about 3 barely wet diapers. I had to dress dcb in some of my son's old summer clothes because the sweat shorts and thick t-shirt that mom sent for summer clothes were going to be to hot.

Dad picked up ( mom and dad are divorcing) and he was updated on what was going on.

Today dad dropped off in footy but packed me a thin shirt and shorts. We changed into those after breakfast. I Applied the herbal lotion with lilac oil mom gave me for his eczema (we've been using it for a month almost to the day. dcb doesn't like it and has been crying "no! Ouchies!! No!" So I've told mom that I haven't been using it, so she gave me a vitamin E lotion) before nap. I did not put him back in his footy because he'd get way to hot, so I left him in shorts, socks and t-shirt. Nap was around noon, during nap dcb tore himself open horribly! His left foot from ankle to toes was bleeding and oozing clear fluid!!! I applied first aid and wrap with gauze after applying antibacterial cream on the open wounds... I felt so horrible for the little boy...

Had DH call dad and tell him that I needed dcb to be picked up. Told him that we need dcb to see a doctor. Dad said that he was already ahead of us on that, that on his way to pick up he called mom and demanded that mom let him take dcb to a doctor and get things figured out. Dad commented that Dcb's eczema treatment is one of the things they are divorcing over. Dad told me that mom finally gave the OK as long as steroids or Benadryl weren't used.

Told dad to remember to get me a doctors note so I can apply lotion here as well.
I hate to say it, but at this point steroids may have to be used. When I get that bad I have to have them and as I said before my doctors will do anything to not give them to me due to my diabetes.

Blackcat, does citrus really affect it? I ask because I almost always have lemon slices in my water. I would hate to give that up.
Blackcat31 08:09 AM 06-18-2016
Blackcat, does citrus really affect it? I ask because I almost always have lemon slices in my water. I would hate to give that up.
LOTS of foods you should avoid if you have eczema

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.c...food-triggers/

http://skincare.lovetoknow.com/skin-...s-cause-eczema
Thriftylady 10:02 AM 06-19-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

See now my doctor refused to send me for a new round of food allergy testing when I asked. I had it when I was a kid and tested positive for nearly everything. All of those things I eat now, some much less than others. I nearly died as a baby from starvation, because the milk gave me such severe reactions and they didn't have all the formulas then that they do now. They finally found Goats milk for me, which mom said was hard to get at the time. I was asking then about gluten. They told me that they don't do blanket testing anymore, because of the high number of false positives. And said that if a food isn't making you sick, you should just keep eating it. But I am not sure how you would know for sure with eczema. I mean food is so complex. Take bread for instance, there are many possible allergens there. Milk, eggs, wheat, gluten...
Pestle 11:11 AM 06-20-2016
Good dad! I can see the reason for the divorce--she's so sold on her own philosophy that she's allowed her child's health to get out of control. If she's that inflexible when the evidence is crying and bleeding in front of her, she's got issues.
Unregistered 11:34 AM 06-20-2016
Where I live, 68 would be winter weather, and it would be perfectly normal to wear footy fleece jammies.

This weekend, highs were in the mid-80s, and everyone couldn't stop talking about the "cool weather" we were having for Father's Day and how lucky we were.

Haha!
Thriftylady 01:08 PM 06-20-2016
Where I live, 68 would be winter weather, and it would be perfectly normal to wear footy fleece jammies.

This weekend, highs were in the mid-80s, and everyone couldn't stop talking about the "cool weather" we were having for Father's Day and how lucky we were.

Haha!
That was my thought also. But I learned one summer in high school that I lived in Sweden, that "hot" or "cold" is relative. It was in the 60's and they were complaining of heat and swimming. Not I!!!! I needed it to be at least 80. Our bodies really do adjust to these things! Now for me, highs in the 60's sounds like a perfect summer!
Ariana 01:14 PM 06-20-2016
Whey protein in dairy is 100% responsible for eczema. I know because my kids had it and my niece had it and when we eliminated dairy all of it cleared up.

I have done enough of my own research to say tat this is the issue here. I would personally go and buy this kid some clothes to change int immediately when he gets here. I would try to convince mom to give up dairy for at least 3 weeks to see if it helps, otherwise I would take it upon myself to buy anti-eczema cream just for his relief. It won't get rid of the eczema but it might offer some relief.
Thriftylady 01:18 PM 06-20-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Whey protein in dairy is 100% responsible for eczema. I know because my kids had it and my niece had it and when we eliminated dairy all of it cleared up.

I have done enough of my own research to say tat this is the issue here. I would personally go and buy this kid some clothes to change int immediately when he gets here. I would try to convince mom to give up dairy for at least 3 weeks to see if it helps, otherwise I would take it upon myself to buy anti-eczema cream just for his relief. It won't get rid of the eczema but it might offer some relief.
But getting the cream without parent permission is a slippery slope. I have parents provide and sign all medications, but I provide sunscreen. And, if it is that bad, I would still be demanding documentation from the doctor. With so much liability placed on us as providers, you can't be to careful.
Ariana 01:24 PM 06-20-2016
But getting the cream without parent permission is a slippery slope. I have parents provide and sign all medications, but I provide sunscreen. And, if it is that bad, I would still be demanding documentation from the doctor. With so much liability placed on us as providers, you can't be to careful.
I meant over the counter cream like Aveeno etc.
Blackcat31 02:10 PM 06-20-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I meant over the counter cream like Aveeno etc.
Yeah, most of us can't use ANYTHING without written prior approval from the parent.
Including OTC creams, ointments and lotions.
Unregistered 03:04 PM 06-20-2016
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Good dad! I can see the reason for the divorce--she's so sold on her own philosophy that she's allowed her child's health to get out of control. If she's that inflexible when the evidence is crying and bleeding in front of her, she's got issues.
She's only sold on it as long as it's good for her... During the interview she was telling me that her kids only eat fresh none processed foods so starting daycare where they weren't going to be getting her home grown and cooked foods was going to be hard on them. Gave me a sob story about how the doctors only want to use steroids as soul treatment for dcb's eczema ( and since I have no experience with that I believed her) and that she wanted to try herbal remedies first, and how she wanted a place where they were going to be doing lots of crafts because they do so much at home. Very anti-vaccine and That she didn't want to put such nasty chemicals in her boys bodies.

She was very anti-vaccine ( literally used the line "I was getting vaccines for the boys until I was educated on the dangers of them") until I explained that any license daycare wouldn't take her kids without, she tried to tell me that oh, she could do a religious waver. Told her that I only took medical wavers (checked with my state regs and I am allowed to not take any wavers if I so choose) when the doctor wouldn't give her one she got her kids up to date. Dcb is due for his next round on Friday. I've told dad and mom that I need updated shot records with dcb's 25 month vaccines by drop off Friday morning.

She buys dcb and his 5 year old brother McDonald's twice a week. Jusy This morning I learned that dcb has never been to the doctor for his eczema. Mom lied to me. That the mom's friend (the one selling mom all the herb and natural remedies) is the person who said eczema... The kid is undiagnosed by medical professional...

They are only here until August, than mom is moving with the kids.

We kind of need the money as my husband is loosing his job July 1st. But I don't think I can keep playing part of this. I learned so much about eczema by googling eczema. Mom and dad literally knows nothing about it except no diary. I told mom some of the thing you have all said regarding it and she should google it, and she told me that she doesn't have internet at her cabin (but she gets an hour lunch break at her job and I know she has internet there)

Mom has also let slip at they do Pizza Hut pizza once a week, found this out when I reminded her that we we're doing our pizza party at the end of the month and mom said "oh both my boys love cheese pizza, we pick it up every Monday!"

What can I do...
Thriftylady 03:53 PM 06-20-2016
She's only sold on it as long as it's good for her... During the interview she was telling me that her kids only eat fresh none processed foods so starting daycare where they weren't going to be getting her home grown and cooked foods was going to be hard on them. Gave me a sob story about how the doctors only want to use steroids as soul treatment for dcb's eczema ( and since I have no experience with that I believed her) and that she wanted to try herbal remedies first, and how she wanted a place where they were going to be doing lots of crafts because they do so much at home. Very anti-vaccine and That she didn't want to put such nasty chemicals in her boys bodies.

She was very anti-vaccine ( literally used the line "I was getting vaccines for the boys until I was educated on the dangers of them") until I explained that any license daycare wouldn't take her kids without, she tried to tell me that oh, she could do a religious waver. Told her that I only took medical wavers (checked with my state regs and I am allowed to not take any wavers if I so choose) when the doctor wouldn't give her one she got her kids up to date. Dcb is due for his next round on Friday. I've told dad and mom that I need updated shot records with dcb's 25 month vaccines by drop off Friday morning.

She buys dcb and his 5 year old brother McDonald's twice a week. Jusy This morning I learned that dcb has never been to the doctor for his eczema. Mom lied to me. That the mom's friend (the one selling mom all the herb and natural remedies) is the person who said eczema... The kid is undiagnosed by medical professional...

They are only here until August, than mom is moving with the kids.

We kind of need the money as my husband is loosing his job July 1st. But I don't think I can keep playing part of this. I learned so much about eczema by googling eczema. Mom and dad literally knows nothing about it except no diary. I told mom some of the thing you have all said regarding it and she should google it, and she told me that she doesn't have internet at her cabin (but she gets an hour lunch break at her job and I know she has internet there)

Mom has also let slip at they do Pizza Hut pizza once a week, found this out when I reminded her that we we're doing our pizza party at the end of the month and mom said "oh both my boys love cheese pizza, we pick it up every Monday!"

What can I do...
Well the way I look at it is that I may need the money. But that means I can't afford the liability something like this puts me under. If I worry about terming due to money, I darn sure don't need a lawsuit, or worse legal issues due to what someone said I did was "abuse", or my lack of reporting it if I suspected it. We have to think about both sides of the coin. I would make mom bring me a medical statement from the doctor before he was in my care another minute.
Thriftylady 03:55 PM 06-20-2016
Yeah, most of us can't use ANYTHING without written prior approval from the parent.
Including OTC creams, ointments and lotions.
I know in KS I couldn't. I don't know exactly what the rule on that here in Ohio is, but I won't. To much room for something to happen. I do have signed slips for "any brand sunscreen and bug spray". Anything more than that, the parents are going to have to sign a form with the name of the medication, lotion, ointment, etc written on it.
Unregistered 05:49 PM 06-20-2016
Just got off the phone with my licensing specialist. I can not ask for a diagnosis or anything above whether it's contagious or not. Also if a parent tells me to apply lotions I can not say no unless I say no to everyone for lotions. I also can not also tell the parent I won't apply unless I have a doctors note For a cream unless I also include diaper rash creams.

I can basically tell the family that if I don't see an improvement in his medical condition by (whatever reasonable time me frame) I can no longer provide care for dcb as I can not meet his medical needs and provide adequate and proper care to the other children.
childcaremom 05:54 PM 06-20-2016
My son had this when he was younger and has mostly outgrown it. However, if it is inflamed and oozing and he is scratching until it bleeds he needs to be seen by a doctor.

When my son has flare ups, we use a steroid cream, minimally applied and it clears up within a few days. Then we went back to our maintenance routine.

No way would I allow a child with weeping wounds and in that much discomfort be in my care. They would be going to the doctor and not returning without a medical note and a treatment plan.

Good lord that poor child.
Thriftylady 06:13 PM 06-20-2016
Just got off the phone with my licensing specialist. I can not ask for a diagnosis or anything above whether it's contagious or not. Also if a parent tells me to apply lotions I can not say no unless I say no to everyone for lotions. I also can not also tell the parent I won't apply unless I have a doctors note For a cream unless I also include diaper rash creams.

I can basically tell the family that if I don't see an improvement in his medical condition by (whatever reasonable time me frame) I can no longer provide care for dcb as I can not meet his medical needs and provide adequate and proper care to the other children.
But you do need to require the diagnosis. Without it you have no way of knowing if the child has a severe issue, or if it is contagious. I wouldn't allow in care without a written diagnosis from the doctor. And yes in most states you can apply what parents sign off on. Just in many states you can't apply something they didn't sign for.
AmyKidsCo 11:22 AM 06-21-2016

Shhhhh... If I don't know about them I don't have to give them up.
Tags:eczema
Reply Up