Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Chasing Down Payments
Unregistered 07:50 AM 06-17-2016
Do you remind parents every week that they need to pay you. I'm getting tired of having to remind parents when they need to pay. It's a weekly thing where I have to remind at least 1 person of payment. I have 3 options for parents to pay. Cash, chase or paypal. I do not accept checks because I don't want to deal with the hassle if the check bounces. I am on vacation and for the past few weeks leading up to my vacation I have been telling parents they need to pay me in cash the friday before I go on vacation or pay the Thursday while I'm on vacation for the upcoming week through paypal(I do not charge parents for my vacation). All of my cash paying parents opted to pay via paypal but yesterday by the end of the day no one paid so I had to text them during my vacation to remind them to send payment. It gets so frustrating because I don't get to pocket all of the money they pay me. A large portion of it gets set aside for taxes then I have to buy food and supplies for the upcoming week. I really love what I do but chasing down payment and the fact that people don't want to pay for childcare is really making me rethink this career chose. Sorry for the long vent.
Thriftylady 07:57 AM 06-17-2016
There is a really easy answer! Payments are due by Friday for the following week of care. If it isn't paid on Friday, attach late fees. Mine are $10 a day. If tuition and late fee is not paid in full Monday morning at drop off, you can't drop off until it is. This works much better for me than back when I took payments at the end of week and often didn't get paid on Friday. When they KNOW they won't have care if they don't pay on time, they do. Last summer I had a mom as "Can I pay you on Monday, they pay me on a debit card and I am not sure I know how to get the money off of it". I said "Sure, just be sure to have an extra $30 added to the payment on Monday or she can't stay. I got paid on Friday.
Blackcat31 08:00 AM 06-17-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Do you remind parents every week that they need to pay you. I'm getting tired of having to remind parents when they need to pay. It's a weekly thing where I have to remind at least 1 person of payment. I have 3 options for parents to pay. Cash, chase or paypal. I do not accept checks because I don't want to deal with the hassle if the check bounces. I am on vacation and for the past few weeks leading up to my vacation I have been telling parents they need to pay me in cash the friday before I go on vacation or pay the Thursday while I'm on vacation for the upcoming week through paypal(I do not charge parents for my vacation). All of my cash paying parents opted to pay via paypal but yesterday by the end of the day no one paid so I had to text them during my vacation to remind them to send payment. It gets so frustrating because I don't get to pocket all of the money they pay me. A large portion of it gets set aside for taxes then I have to buy food and supplies for the upcoming week. I really love what I do but chasing down payment and the fact that people don't want to pay for childcare is really making me rethink this career chose. Sorry for the long vent.
I never chase my paycheck. Instead I have "motivational consequences" so that parents WANT to pay on time.

Today is payday for everyone.

If anyone does not pay their invoice, they automatically have $30 added onto their bill and services are suspended until the bill is paid in full in cash. (NO other payment options are available if they are paying late).

If this is the second time they are paying late, they would have $60 added to their bill with the same requirements for payment.

If it's the third time they are late, they have no child care any longer and their deposit (2 weeks) is forfeited.

So honestly, if a parent wants to pay me late, they are gambling with their contract. Up to them to make sure they pay on time.

I do not do reminders, weekly invoices are passive-aggressive behaviors when it comes to being paid.

I uphold my end of the deal and FULLY expect parents to hold up their end. After all, they ARE adults.
Thriftylady 08:02 AM 06-17-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I never chase my paycheck. Instead I have "motivational consequences" so that parents WANT to pay on time.

Today is payday for everyone.

If anyone does not pay their invoice, they automatically have $30 added onto their bill and services are suspended until the bill is paid in full in cash. (NO other payment options are available if they are paying late).

If this is the second time they are paying late, they would have $60 added to their bill with the same requirements for payment.

If it's the third time they are late, they have no child care any longer and their deposit (2 weeks) is forfeited.

So honestly, if a parent wants to pay me late, they are gambling with their contract. Up to them to make sure they pay on time.

I do not do reminders, weekly invoices are passive-aggressive behaviors when it comes to being paid.

I uphold my end of the deal and FULLY expect parents to hold up their end. After all, they ARE adults.
I think I like this "3 strikes" plan better than what I do.
Second Home 08:03 AM 06-17-2016
I also have a $10 late fee per day if not paid on Monday by 5pm . Though I do end up sending a text to anyone who has not paid at drop off reminding them of the late fee if not paid by 5 .

Just this week I had one family who did not pay in the am and then wanted to come by at 7pm . I said that I would not be home and they still owe the late fee since it was not paid by 5 . They were mad but I am sticking to my policies.
Blackcat31 08:05 AM 06-17-2016
Originally Posted by Second Home:
I also have a $10 late fee per day if not paid on Monday by 5pm . Though I do end up sending a text to anyone who has not paid at drop off reminding them of the late fee if not paid by 5 .

Just this week I had one family who did not pay in the am and then wanted to come by at 7pm . I said that I would not be home and they still owe the late fee since it was not paid by 5 . They were mad but I am sticking to my policies.
They were mad because you wouldn't make special arrangements to accommodate their late payment?

Bahahahahahaha!!!

Good for you for sticking to your policies...bet they do too from now on
childcaremom 08:05 AM 06-17-2016
Do you charge late payment fees? I charge $15 per calendar day. Usually it only takes getting hit with fees once and they don't forget again.

I do send home a reminder bill. It helps me stay organized.
Snowmom 08:06 AM 06-17-2016
They're taking advantage of you because they can. Set the precedence on how you want to be treated.
Options to stop the behavior:
1. Attach a hefty penalty for being late.
2. Adopt a no-pay/no-stay policy and uphold it.
3. Adopt a 3 strikes you're out policy.

There's plenty of options to "make it hurt" for people who test your boundaries. The one you're using just isn't working.
childcaremom 08:09 AM 06-17-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I think I like this "3 strikes" plan better than what I do.

Me, too.
LysesKids 08:20 AM 06-17-2016
I get paid on the 1st of the month by all except one family.... they are my weekly pay (Friday in advance of care) their contract states they will be automatically switched to Drop-in status if not paid. They want care Monday morning, they pay the daily fee until I have their full amount in hand - no pay, no stay. Only had to implement the drop-in clause once in 3 years lol
Unregistered 08:48 AM 06-17-2016
I do have a $10 per day if not paid by Friday 5:30 and Monday you have to have payment including late fess or child does not stay. My issue is having to remind parents of payment. I wanted to know is this something for that is common for daycare providers to remind parents of payment. I am currently in the process of redoing my contract and handbook and really would like to adopt blackcats policy if she doesn't mind. Thank you guys for your input.
Unregistered 08:49 AM 06-17-2016
op here I do have a $10 per day if not paid by Friday 5:30 and Monday you have to have payment including late fess or child does not stay. My issue is having to remind parents of payment. I wanted to know is this something that is common for daycare providers to remind parents of payment each week. I am currently in the process of redoing my contract and handbook and really would like to adopt blackcats policy if she doesn't mind. Thank you guys for your input.
Thriftylady 08:52 AM 06-17-2016
I do have a $10 per day if not paid by Friday 5:30 and Monday you have to have payment including late fess or child does not stay. My issue is having to remind parents of payment. I wanted to know is this something for that is common for daycare providers to remind parents of payment. I am currently in the process of redoing my contract and handbook and really would like to adopt blackcats policy if she doesn't mind. Thank you guys for your input.
The only time I ever give reminders is if for some reason their rate is not the same every week. Then I will do an invoice on Friday. But I don't expect to remind them that they have to pay me on Friday. I mean they don't forget to pay their rent, house payment or other bills where they don't get a reminder. You pay it every week, month whatever you shouldn't need a reminder. Our water bills come on little postcards, and often get stuck together in the mail during delivery. I get other people's all the time, and send back out. I have several times not gotten mine, but I KNOW I have a water bill due every month. They don't really need to remind me of that. Just give me the amount.
Unregistered 08:55 AM 06-17-2016
thats exactly how I feel Thrifty
Blackcat31 08:57 AM 06-17-2016
You are more than welcome to adopt that policy!

Consequences with increased fees makes a huge difference in the behavior of parents.

I too, used to send reminders but stopped because it became too time consuming and it's not like we don't have a ton of other stuff to do too...
MunchkinWrangler 10:53 AM 06-17-2016
So far, my families are great and if they forget they drop it off midday or by the end of the day. It rarely happens that anyone forgets.

If I were to have to deal with this issue, I have in my contract the 'no pay, no play' line. They have by the end of the day to make their payment and if not they can't drop their child off for care until payment is made. I have tossed around the idea of attaching a late fee but like I said so far I haven't had an issue with this.
AmyKidsCo 12:24 PM 06-17-2016
Payments are due Thursday but aren't considered late until 5pm Friday. All of my parents do direct deposit except the ones who pay monthly. I send out invoices the last Monday of the month, and that's usually enough to remind them. One family usually brings their check Tuesday but the other one sometimes needs a reminder Friday morning.
e.j. 04:17 PM 06-17-2016
I don't remind parents every week that they have to pay me. They all know payment is due on Monday and most families have been great about paying on time. Some tend to be a little more forgetful than others and when they are late in paying, they do get a reminder along with a late fee if it becomes a regular problem.
Reply Up