Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interview Help
childcaremom 06:21 AM 02-26-2015
What types of questions do you ask parents?

I am reopening in a few weeks and my interview techniques are a little rusty. I like to ask parents questions while they are here and wondering if anyone has suggestions or input.

I do a tour of my home, a brief overview of our day and then go through my policy book thoroughly. I then give them an opportunity to ask any questions and then like to ask them a few.

What I ask right now:
What methods of discipline do they use with their child?
What is your child's napping/sleeping routine?
What does mealtime look like in your house?
What are your major concerns about having your child in daycare?
What do you hope your child gets out of their daycare experience?

Am I missing anything?

My BIG issues have been discipline and routine with past parents (meaning there was none, lol) and I am hoping to avoid this type of thing with my next group.

Thanks!
AuntTami 07:18 AM 02-26-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
What types of questions do you ask parents?

I am reopening in a few weeks and my interview techniques are a little rusty. I like to ask parents questions while they are here and wondering if anyone has suggestions or input.

I do a tour of my home, a brief overview of our day and then go through my policy book thoroughly. I then give them an opportunity to ask any questions and then like to ask them a few.

What I ask right now:
What methods of discipline do they use with their child?
What is your child's napping/sleeping routine?
What does mealtime look like in your house?
What are your major concerns about having your child in daycare?
What do you hope your child gets out of their daycare experience?

Am I missing anything?

My BIG issues have been discipline and routine with past parents (meaning there was none, lol) and I am hoping to avoid this type of thing with my next group.

Thanks!
If routine has been an issue I would ask what their routine is currently like and if they would be willing to adjust their weekend schedule so the children can stay on their daycare schedule. It's so much easier when they nap at the same time on Saturday and Sunday as they do the rest of the week.
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:28 AM 02-26-2015
It sounds like you are very thorough and professional. It seems like you have all your bases covered! Maybe just add a convo emphasizing how important it is to keep a schedule or routine, and consistency between daycare and home...that group care success just really isn't possible without it...and see what their response is. If they don't seem to care or joke about how fly-by-the-seat-of-their-pants they are, then you probably know they won't be a good fit for you. Good luck!
spinnymarie 11:00 AM 02-26-2015
We do a set of pre-interview questions, so that we can decide whether or not an interview is even worth it.
After these questions, we send the handbook via email, and set up an interview, which is more answering any further questions and a tour and seeing how we mesh face-to-face and how the kid behaves. But most of our hard-hitting questions are before the interview, and look similar to yours:

To better assess your needs we have a set of pre-interview questions. This helps us understand your family dynamics and can help ensure good daycare-family compatibility.

What is your child’s name, gender and birthdate?
What is your current job, partner’s job, and hours?
What is your current address?
What kinds of things are you looking for in a daycare?
How would you describe your parenting style? What is your favorite parenting book?
What are your child’s current routines for eating, sleeping, soothing, and discipline/guidance?
What is your child’s current schedule?
What are some things your family likes to do for fun?
Does your child have any special needs, diets, allergies or medical conditions? Any allergies in the family? Does your child have up-to-date vaccinations?
Is/was your child breast-fed or formula fed? How often has your (infant) child been fed with a bottle?
How does your child soothe him/herself? How do you soothe your child?
Has your child been in care before? Why have you decided to leave/change your current care arrangement?
What social experiences has your child had away from immediate family members?
Blackcat31 11:03 AM 02-26-2015
My parent questionnaire asks:

1.) Please describe what qualities you are looking for in a child care provider:

2.) Please tell me a little bit about what you are looking for in regards to the environment:
(for example; are you looking for a large group for your child to learn social skills or are you looking for a small group so your child receives more one-to-one care)

3.) What do you find is the most difficult part of parenting? the easiest?

4.) Please describe your bed time expectations/routines
a) your meal time/expectations routines
b) your daily activities/routines

5.) Are there other adults in your child's life that are a source of influence, support, guidance and care giving?

6.) Are you a fairly scheduled family or do you prefer to take things as they come?

7.) What are the last 3 illnesses/situations that required your child to see a doctor?

8.) Would you describe your child as a leader, a follower or a little of both?

9.) Please tell me a little bit about your discipline methods both at home and in public

The answers provided to my questions tell me A LOT about a family.

NONE of the questions can be answered with a simple yes or no either... ......which was the point.
Josiegirl 03:26 PM 02-26-2015
Some great replies, looks like I'll be adding more ??'s to my short list.
childcaremom 04:08 AM 03-01-2015
Thanks for all the suggestions! I had another interview yesterday, used some of these, and have a much better feeling about how it went.

Thanks again!
Tags:interview questions, interviewing parents
Reply Up