Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hold me!!
Blackcat31 08:09 AM 12-08-2010
Ughhhhh, I have a 9 month old who cries and whines ALL day for me to hold him. Doesn't matter if I am sitting on the floor right next to him or in the next room.....he wants nothing more than to be held! I refuse to walk around all day with an baby on my hip (Geez, I'd have 3 year olds who'd want to be held then too!) Anyways I told mom that this behavior is driving me bonkers and she says "It is my step-dad's fault. If 'baby' makes a peep, step-dad picks him up."
They live in a multi-generational home. DCM say her step-dad says it is his right to spoil the grandkids. DCM also says she explained how it makes the 'baby's' day at day care tough then because he doesn't get held all day. Seems step dad doesn't care. So now MY problem is how do I curb this behavior? If I walk away, 'baby' freaks and cries harder and holds his hands up or follows me around lifting his arms and whining....(he uses sign language for "up" also) It is VERY frustrating!!! I know there is nothing else going on because in true baby manipulation form 'baby' breaks immediately into a huge smile the second he is picked up! put him back down and it is like a lightswitch and he goes back to crying!!

It is like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw39dsFmxQM

Any suggestions????
Live and Learn 08:47 AM 12-08-2010
Is he there full time five days a week? If so I would set him down when it suits you and teach him to sooth himself .....by ignoring the crying and giving lots of attention when he isn't crying to be held.....if he is there full time then he is probably spending way more time with you then the step dad and you will "reprogram" this behavior. If he is only there a couple days a week then it is going to be a whole lot more difficult!.....Good Luck!
Reply Up