Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Find Out What Municipality I'm In?
CAPA 08:58 AM 08-27-2012
I'm basically looking to buy a house to start a daycare center. Now, I don't know exactly where I will be buying the house, but I have an idea. Say I see a house I like and I am interested in finding out whether or not I can use the home as a daycare center - how do I find out what municipality it's in so that I can call and find out if I can put a daycare center in that house?
itlw8 10:42 AM 08-27-2012
I am assuming you live in an area where everything runs together. But there still has to be a master map with all streets on it with each towns borders

These days I am sure you can pull it up on line
Crazy8 12:34 PM 08-27-2012
are you in the US? Our state has organizations for licensing by county. Surely you can find what county the house you are looking to buy is in??? If a house is listed for sale I'm sure the realtor can tell you what town/county it is and you can find the licensing organization that way.
Blackcat31 12:43 PM 08-27-2012
Originally Posted by CAPA:
I'm basically looking to buy a house to start a daycare center. Now, I don't know exactly where I will be buying the house, but I have an idea. Say I see a house I like and I am interested in finding out whether or not I can use the home as a daycare center - how do I find out what municipality it's in so that I can call and find out if I can put a daycare center in that house?
I am guessing the realtor you use might know what municipality the home is in. If not, I suggest calling your city's zoning office as they should also be able to tell you that info.

Every state is different as far as what rules and regulations there are in regards to child care so calling your area licensing department might also be helpful.
Sugar Magnolia 02:49 PM 08-27-2012
Yes Blackcat is right, the realtor will know. In fact, the listing on the mls will say what municipality the property is in. Your realtor will likely NOT KNOW if you can run a daycare center out of a certain home. That info comes from zoning. My experience is that zoning will say it must be zoned commercial, institutional or certain residential zones,.usually those zoned multi family with a "major conditional use" approval. Its complicated. Don't trust the realtor for detailed, complex zoning info, they aren't experts, the municipality is. Pm me if you'd life, op, I have limited internet right now, thanks to Isaac.
Reply Up