Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Minnesota-Servicing Fire Extinguishers
Missani 12:08 PM 08-17-2011
Okay, I know a lot of you live in Minnesota, so I really need an answer to this one! My first renewal is coming up soon (before Oct. 1), and I know that fire extinguishers need to be "serviced" annually. What does that mean and how does one do that?

I assume they probably check the pressure, etc. but who does it? I asked my licensor and she said that if you attend trainings, a lot of them will have someone who can do it before or after. I guess I attend the wrong trainings then, because I've never heard of that.

So, I called a local fire extinguisher company and they acted like I was crazy. They told me that they only service the fire extinguishers that they go out and put (by contract) in companies. They told me to contact the maker of my extinguisher but acted like I was crazy and didn't really need this done.

Then, I called the 800 number for the maker of my fire extinguisher (Kidde) and they told me they couldn't help me. So, then I called Resources for Child Caring, and they told me to call my licensor. Full circle.

So, anyway, it clearly says we need to do this annually in the rule book and the application I filled out for renewal asked if I had done it and when, so I can't be the only person who has had this question. WHERE THE HECK DO YOU "SERVICE" YOUR FIRE EXTINGUISHER? I do NOT want to spend another $85 to buy a new one every year, but that is looking like my only option (too much $$ and what a waste of my perfectly good one that I have). So, if you know the answer, I would greatly appreciate it!
mema 12:13 PM 08-17-2011
Where did you buy them? I go back to the place that I purchased them from and they service them. Not sure what they do, but it only takes a few minutes and costs me about $10 for the 2 I have.
jojosmommy 12:13 PM 08-17-2011
google (your town) MN fire extinguisher service. Our local one charges $4 to check it out and tag it for the next year. Takes 10 min max and they will even come to your house (for an additional fee).

Make friends with your closest one- they will do cool demos for the kids.

If this doesn't work call your local fire dept (non emergency number) and see what they say.
Zoe 12:24 PM 08-17-2011
Your licensor should know who in your town/area does this. My licensor gave me the number of a local company that services fire extinguishers. The only problem is they keep it so you have to have a spare. So ask any company you talk to if they do it that day or if they have to keep it.

I'm on the Provider's Choice food program and there's a conference in September where they offer fire extinguisher servicing. That's how I'm getting mine done this year.

Again, check with your licensor. He/she is supposed to be there to help you out. They have the resources. Use them.
DCMom 12:45 PM 08-17-2011
I usually have mine done at the Providers Choice Conference in September. Get some of your training hours done and your fire extinguishers recharged all in one day, lol.

Honestly that is a good question...I know I had mine done at a little place on University Ave in St. Paul once. I don't remember the name, but it was near University and Snelling Aves.

Good Luck!
Blackcat31 12:47 PM 08-17-2011
I ran into this same issue last year during relicensing and found out that my Kidde fire extinguisher was no longer acceptable and we are now required to have metal or steel heads and not plastic ones like Kidde is now. We have a service here in town that services fire equipment and I ended up having to purchase another extinguisher that met the new requirements and was charged $45 so I wasn't happy about that but what do you do?

The place I use was called Arrowhead Fire and Safety Equipment. Maybe they will know a place in your area. I will PM you their number.
MARSTELAC 12:47 PM 08-17-2011
My local fire department will stop over and do it for ten bucks. I don't know what they "Do" lol...I get a new tag!

Sometimes when that guy isn't available, my hubby takes it to a place that specializes in extinguishers and it is "done" for about 10-15 bucks and again, I get a new tag.

Sorry, blonde here.
daysofelijah 01:05 PM 08-17-2011
I just drop it off at our local fire station. Somebody comes around and services them about once a month for $5 and they call me to come pick it up when it's ready. My dh said all they do is bang on the bottom with a hammer, lol, who knows?
GretasLittleFriends 06:59 AM 08-18-2011
Originally Posted by daysofelijah:
I just drop it off at our local fire station. Somebody comes around and services them about once a month for $5 and they call me to come pick it up when it's ready. My dh said all they do is bang on the bottom with a hammer, lol, who knows?
You're dh is pretty accurate. I have a guy that comes to my house; Jack's Fire Extinguisher Sales & Service. They even call me the week before to remind me my annual check is due. They come out to my house with a rubber mallet (big rubber hammer), tip my extinguisher upside down, tap it a few times, check the gauge, then put a new tag on it. Reminder call and in-home service $9; can't complain.
MarinaVanessa 07:15 AM 08-18-2011
I have a Kidde (I'm in CA though, not Minnesota) but my fire extinguisher is only good for a year then you have to buy a new one. Around here it costs just as much to have a fire extinguisher serviced as it does to buy a new one so I buy the one that you get rid of at the end of the year. You may want to figure out which Kidde fire extinguisher you have because you may have the "throw away" kind. It's kind of hard to tell the difference if you go out and buy one from a home improvement center. I used to work for Lowe's while I was getting ready to do daycare and I bought one from there and even I had a hard time figuring it out. The box doesn't exactly say it out right in big bold letter KWIM? I had to ask my co-worker in hardware. Make sure that you have the right extinguisher if you're having it serviced. $9-$10 to have a FE serviced is awesome. I called EVERYWHERE and they would quote me $65 and up
Meeko 12:00 PM 08-18-2011
We have a company that come to us to do it. Costs me $20. I just looked up fire service in the yellow pages
jojosmommy 07:05 AM 08-19-2011
Originally Posted by daysofelijah:
So what do you do while your extinguisher is gone? I thought you had to have it in the house available at all times while daycare is operating?
Unregistered 08:23 AM 01-04-2013
Greta's Little Friends, how do i get a hold of jack's fire exting. sales and service?? they are not on the interweb...man, these servicers are hard to find!! And where are they located? i'm in NE Minneapolis. Thanks!
MNMum 10:26 AM 01-04-2013
Nardini Fire in St. Paul. $6 or something, about 2 minutes...
Willow 10:37 AM 01-04-2013
I realize this is an old thread but everyone should make sure to check with whoever has your homeowners insurance policy.

Ours provides and services all of ours for free, I just have to drop off the canisters to exchange for new ones once a year
Tags:fire extinguisher, minnesota
Reply Up