Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Update On That Huge Lunch Issue Thread....
cheerfuldom 06:01 PM 07-08-2012
anyone remember that discussion?

if so, wanted to let you all know that I have stuck by my policy, the parents are here still and its been about 6 weeks. Lunches have VASTLY improved as I have continued to send home the "no no" items. We are down to one treat per lunch (per my rule) and in general, reasonable options for the rest of the lunch. There is actually some meat, some freshly sliced fruit and other non-packaged items this past week! I dont have a rule about the processed food but they are definitely taking a step up on their own with the lunch part. (the only part we had discussed was candy and dessert type items in the lunch). no more huge movie theater sized boxes of candy!

I know that discussion got a little controversial but I did want to thank everyone for posting even if they disagreed.....and also encourage those of you with similar policies to stick by them! For me, it is completely reasonable to set out a very few basic rules about sack lunch. Its a shame we all have to police parents so much but it is what it is.
EchoMom 06:44 PM 07-08-2012
Congrats, that's terrific! I have an update since that discussion too! Right after that thread I signed up a new DCB that was packing HORRIBLE lunches! I'd never seen anything so bad, which is why I think I couldn't relate with your situation very much. This boy was eating a whole bag of Funions for breakfast at 7:30am, pop tarts, sodas, etc. etc. It was horrible and I was SOOOOOOOOOO uncomfortable with it.

Sooooo, (remember I'm legally unlicensed and so not on any food program) I pitched it to all of my parents if they would like to pay $2/day extra and I would provide NUTRITIOUS meals and snacks. They all took me up on it and I've been loving it!!!

Thanks for sharing your experience, it was a helpful discussion!
countrymom 06:47 PM 07-08-2012
good for you for sticking to your policy. Maybe the parents are now packing healthy lunches themselves. This policy would never work for me, if you hear what these kids eat some days I have to pick my mouth up off the floor. I think the only healthy meals they recieve are from my house.
countrymom 06:50 PM 07-08-2012
you know how bad it is, I have a 6 yr old that never knew that apples can be green, heck I've had kids, who have never eaten apples before, can you believe that. Yet, my own children eat all my fruit out of my house so by wed. I have no fruit.
cheerfuldom 06:58 PM 07-08-2012
Originally Posted by glenechogirl:
Congrats, that's terrific! I have an update since that discussion too! Right after that thread I signed up a new DCB that was packing HORRIBLE lunches! I'd never seen anything so bad, which is why I think I couldn't relate with your situation very much. This boy was eating a whole bag of Funions for breakfast at 7:30am, pop tarts, sodas, etc. etc. It was horrible and I was SOOOOOOOOOO uncomfortable with it.

Sooooo, (remember I'm legally unlicensed and so not on any food program) I pitched it to all of my parents if they would like to pay $2/day extra and I would provide NUTRITIOUS meals and snacks. They all took me up on it and I've been loving it!!!

Thanks for sharing your experience, it was a helpful discussion!
I'm glad the rate increase and food issue went well! I can see how that would be much more convenient.....i would actually love to do that at this point but the rates in my area are going lower and lower and I know that parents around here would not accept any sort of rate increase from me well at all. I am already on the higher end of the rate range even AFTER I just lowered rates by $10 per week. I just cant go any lower for now AND provide lunches. Its a very hard spot to be in but hopefully, will be getting licensed come winter and get on the food program.
cheerfuldom 07:00 PM 07-08-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
good for you for sticking to your policy. Maybe the parents are now packing healthy lunches themselves. This policy would never work for me, if you hear what these kids eat some days I have to pick my mouth up off the floor. I think the only healthy meals they recieve are from my house.
well I know in my case, the parents were always packing the lunch...the daycare child is 2. The weird thing is that this child is a very good eater, happily eating even broccli. I dont know why they even packed the junk because it wasnt like she was crying for it or even cared when it was gone. I think they just werent used to actually offering anything but convenience foods.
SilverSabre25 07:23 PM 07-08-2012
Awesome! I'm so glad you stuck to it and are getting better lunches!!!

In response to a few of the other posts on crappy/sad lunches, I was in the store a few months ago and there was a family in front of me with several kids. They were walking through the produce section (it's in the front of the store of course). A little boy, 8 or 9 years old, got very excited about the green apples--"Mommy, mommy! Can we get some of these? I love these! Please? They are 4 for $2! Please, mommy?" And I looked up, smiling already, at his excitement over the apples.

My eyes widened and the smile dropped off my face though, at the mother's response. "No, that's too expensive. We can't afford no green apples." And the boy protested that they weren't expensive, only fifty cents each! The mom insisted though, that they couldn't afford "none a those." And his face fell, and he walked on, and my heart broke for him. I didn't see them through the rest of the store, but I am willing to bet (based on other factors...) that there was at LEAST $2 worth of processed, useless junk that they could have passed over to get him his precious green apples.
Reply Up