Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Organic Food? Sort of Vent
TGT09 04:32 PM 02-16-2010
I am semi-organic for myself and my husband. Very limited to certain things though i.e. milk and meat. I still eat McDonalds (I know, doesn't make sense). I know the downfalls of eating all the crap and don't care so much as I like to eat it. :-)

Well, I have a dc family (2 dc kids) that are completely organic fanatics. Fine, for home life but should they be expect me to keep it up at my house when they aren't paying extra for it? I did not think they were this strong-willed about it as we talked about it in their interview but I have been getting some berating texts from the mother. I have given into buying some organic so they don't have to pack their lunches and most of the time it isn't that much more expensive. BUT, it adds up and I'm finding it hard to keep on my grocery budget every week because of it. Everytime the mother sends me a text, I respond about something financial and she responds with we could start sending a few things a week. I have ALWAYS accepted that I would like for them to do that and they do it for a week and then not again until she "flips" about something else.

I would just like to my own defense say, I definitely go out of my way to make sure all the kids have well rounded meals and as "organic" as I possibly can. The other dc parents I have are not organic nor do they care to be.

Ahhh, I don't know what to do. I feel like this is really starting to become a bigger pain than what it's worth.

The unfortunate part is that the mother is the sister of one of my husband's best friends....although they are estranged. I am also "friends" with the grandmother and she is the one that recommended me to them.
momma2girls 04:35 PM 02-16-2010
Originally Posted by mcmann05:
I am semi-organic for myself and my husband. Very limited to certain things though i.e. milk and meat. I still eat McDonalds (I know, doesn't make sense). I know the downfalls of eating all the crap and don't care so much as I like to eat it. :-)

Well, I have a dc family (2 dc kids) that are completely organic fanatics. Fine, for home life but should they be expect me to keep it up at my house when they aren't paying extra for it? I did not think they were this strong-willed about it as we talked about it in their interview but I have been getting some berating texts from the mother. I have given into buying some organic so they don't have to pack their lunches and most of the time it isn't that much more expensive. BUT, it adds up and I'm finding it hard to keep on my grocery budget every week because of it. Everytime the mother sends me a text, I respond about something financial and she responds with we could start sending a few things a week. I have ALWAYS accepted that I would like for them to do that and they do it for a week and then not again until she "flips" about something else.

I would just like to my own defense say, I definitely go out of my way to make sure all the kids have well rounded meals and as "organic" as I possibly can. The other dc parents I have are not organic nor do they care to be.

Ahhh, I don't know what to do. I feel like this is really starting to become a bigger pain than what it's worth.

The unfortunate part is that the mother is the sister of one of my husband's best friends....although they are estranged. I am also "friends" with the grandmother and she is the one that recommended me to them.
I would have to tell this family, if you want to be organic, you will have to supply all the organic food, otherwise everyone eats normal food here at daycare. I once had a peanut allergy and milk allergy. The peanut family brought all snacks and the milk allergy brought all food and snacks.
AfterSchoolMom 04:38 PM 02-16-2010
I would just let her know that if they require "special" food for their kids, they need to provide it or pay you more to cover it, end of story. Otherwise, serve the kids the same foods that you serve everyone else. They knew what they were getting into when they signed on with you, right? Friend or no, I wouldn't let them dictate to me what I serve, especially if it was hurting my grocery budget!
gbcc 04:40 PM 02-16-2010
If a child has a special diet or allergy I make the parents supply all the food. I spend enough on crafts, food and supplies and I can't afford the extra cost. I respect their decision, but it is just that, their decision.
TGT09 05:10 PM 02-16-2010
The biggest problem of all is that I feel like it's cutting into my craft budget. In the planning stages of this daycare, I had so many craft ideas and fun things to do with the kids and now can't afford to do much.

In the interview I kept saying I do organic milk and such and wouldn't mind doing that for their kids. If you don't know, organic milk is like $4 for a half gallon and seriously wonder what I was thinking. That was all that was said though, I didn't say I would do all organic. They said that it would be soooo nice for them to not have to pack lunches and that was that. They kept saying they would send snacks and boxes of organic mac and cheese. I have gotten 1 can of soup and 2 boxes of mac and cheese.

I just don't know how to backpedal now even though I feel like there were some serious misunderstanding on their part.
Persephone 05:22 PM 02-16-2010
So I have a question for those of you would make the "allergy" family prove their own food. Do you give them a price break then since you are not paying for their food?
Unregistered 05:40 PM 02-16-2010
Originally Posted by Persephone:
So I have a question for those of you would make the "allergy" family prove their own food. Do you give them a price break then since you are not paying for their food?

I would not give them a break if I had to prep the food due to the extra time that it took. But if the food was ready and their was no major prep might would knock of a about 5-10 Dollars.
momma2girls 06:06 PM 02-16-2010
No, they pay full price- I can't give them a break for their children's food allergies.
mac60 07:13 PM 02-16-2010
First of all,,,,,I would stop responding to her texts. Texts in my opinion are not businesslike and should not be used. Second, I would tell her that the children can either eat what everyone else does, or else she can pack their lunch and snacks, either way, the rate is the same. I can just imagine my own group wanting "what they have" and it becoming a big hassle.
Persephone 07:41 PM 02-16-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
No, they pay full price- I can't give them a break for their children's food allergies.
But your not paying for their food.
mac60 03:15 AM 02-17-2010
I agree, whether or not the family packs their own food, the rate is the same. It is the families choice to do it. As a provider, I have rates that I must sustain to cover my business expenses, and give myself an income. I can not allow families to come in and dictate what "they" will pay. These are my rates and this is what I supply/how I operate/etc, if the family wants to deviate from that, like bring in organic lunches and snacks, so be it, but my rate stays the same. Having one family bring in lunches could be a potential problem when the other kids se what Johnny brought today and wants "that". I can definately see that happening. One thing I have learned, you can not let a parent dictate your business practices or your rate. If they don't like something a provider does (not organic food) and wants to bring in lunches, it will be at their expense, not providers.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 04:24 AM 02-17-2010
I do not charge for meals. But my meals are sometimes meatloaf, sometimes chicken, sometimes pbj or sometimes cobb salad. AT SIGNUP,.. they decide,. their food or mine. if they choose to provide,.. it must be an every day thing. Not a ,.. I dont like what we are having today can I bring something type of thing. I have one vegan organic family now who provide everything down to the water. The rest of us eat family style lunches from my own recipes.
gbcc 04:36 AM 02-17-2010
In my opinion food and crafts are a bonus. Many providers don't include meals in their prices. They are paying for the SPOT only. Not the quantity or quality of care. IMO, it's like formula. Could you imagine the cost if we supplied formula??
Persephone 04:46 AM 02-17-2010
But really it's not the family choice to not eat your food, your saying that you will not provide if there are food allergies. When providing for food allergies is not all that different or hard.

My son has food allergies and it's not something I picked to do.
gbcc 05:04 AM 02-17-2010
In that case, it's not their choice unfortunately, it is something they have to deal with. Like if they needed an antibiotic while in my care, I wouldn't pay for half of it because they needed it while in care. Mom's don't choose to feed formula, but it has to be done and it's costly, a cost the parents need to accrue.

My reason for allergies is not so much the cost. For me it is a safety precaution. For instance, peanut allergy. There are so many crackers etc that have the oil for some reason. They have a dozen different names for the oil and I don't want to accidently give one to the child and have an episode. If it were reversed and I was the parent, I would supply my own meals to reduce the risk. I've never had a parent have an issue with this or decide to go elsewhere due to this.
Persephone 05:10 AM 02-17-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
In that case, it's not their choice unfortunately, it is something they have to deal with. Like if they needed an antibiotic while in my care, I wouldn't pay for half of it because they needed it while in care. Mom's don't choose to feed formula, but it has to be done and it's costly, a cost the parents need to accrue.

My reason for allergies is not so much the cost. For me it is a safety precaution. For instance, peanut allergy. There are so many crackers etc that have the oil for some reason. They have a dozen different names for the oil and I don't want to accidently give one to the child and have an episode. If it were reversed and I was the parent, I would supply my own meals to reduce the risk. I've never had a parent have an issue with this or decide to go elsewhere due to this.

I understand the precaution, this is one of the main reasons why I don't send my child somewhere. I'm worried to death about preschool next fall with snacks.

But on the same hand, if you are feeding the other children at snack time an item with peanuts, that allergic child could have a reaction anyways. He can touch the area where the food sat, he can touch the sink after the child watches her hands to get the peanut off. Anything.

So to me, isn't it safer to just provide the safe food anyways?

(At the center I worked at for years, when I started (would have been about 18 years ago now) we had a child with peanut allergies. We had a snack mix that we feed the children that had peanuts in it. We were told by older staff that all we needed to do was to pick out the peanuts out of the mix and give it to the child. And that's what we did. We were young and didn't know. I thank God now, that, that child never had a reaction.)
momma2girls 05:17 AM 02-17-2010
It is just like if someone wants Whole milk, and the other wants skim, and the other wants Vitamin D milk, or certain juice only. There is no way I could buy 3 different gallons of milk each week, different juices each week, etc.... What I serve is what I serve, if they want or need anything else they have to supply it.
TGT09 05:33 AM 02-17-2010
I already buy 2 different kinds of milk as it is! I can't imagine a parent wanting something else besides! In my handbook, it does say if your child has a food allergy then that is the only time where I will serve something different to that child. As for the organic mom, she e-mailed me (after I e-mailed all the foods I serve on a regular basis for approval) and apologized for how the texts came across. She sent their lunch and snack today.
momma2girls 05:50 AM 02-17-2010
I understand the precaution, this is one of the main reasons why I don't send my child somewhere. I'm worried to death about preschool next fall with snacks.

But on the same hand, if you are feeding the other children at snack time an item with peanuts, that allergic child could have a reaction anyways. He can touch the area where the food sat, he can touch the sink after the child watches her hands to get the peanut off. Anything.

So to me, isn't it safer to just provide the safe food anyways?

(At the center I worked at for years, when I started (would have been about 18 years ago now) we had a child with peanut allergies. We had a snack mix that we feed the children that had peanuts in it. We were told by older staff that all we needed to do was to pick out the peanuts out of the mix and give it to the child. And that's what we did. We were young and didn't know. I thank God now, that, that child never had a reaction.)
If your child has a peanut allergy- it's another story!! Many many labels have on them, processed with peanut lines- I had a parent that offered right away to bring snacks with him everyday, because it really is hard to find something that doesn't say that on the label!! There are many children that have peanut allergies and some can be very lethal to the child.
You should always send a snack for preschools and schools for peanut allergies. You can't be to safe when it comes to this!!!!
GretasLittleFriends 05:59 AM 02-17-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
Could you imagine the cost if we supplied formula??
You don't have to offer formula? With the food program (at least here in Minnesota), in order to get paid for the infants, I have to offer formula, then when they're old enough I have to offer iron fortified infant cereal. I do not, however, have to offer baby food. I can make my own peas in the food processor or whatever.

So, when I first got on the food program, I went to Walmart and found the cheapest (iron fortified) baby formula. It happened to be Parent's Choice brand. I only have to offer it. The mothers of the two kids I had that drank/or still drink formula have chosen to use their own. I can still claim those meals with the food program because I offered something, yet they chose their own.

Oh, and my husband and I had this discussion when my son was born about the cost of formula. Each 25.75oz can (Enfamil Lipil or Similac Advance) costs around $25. Doing the math you can get somewhere between 18 and 22 bottles (8oz) so we'll say 20. Double that for a younger infant. Cost per 8oz bottle is somewhere around $1.20 per meal (bottle). If the infant is young and you're only feeding 4oz at a time, that's $0.60 per meal. I wish it only cost that much for the rest of the kids to feed them snacks/meals!!
Persephone 06:53 AM 02-17-2010
If your child has a peanut allergy- it's another story!! Many many labels have on them, processed with peanut lines- I had a parent that offered right away to bring snacks with him everyday, because it really is hard to find something that doesn't say that on the label!! There are many children that have peanut allergies and some can be very lethal to the child.
You should always send a snack for preschools and schools for peanut allergies. You can't be to safe when it comes to this!!!!
This is very un-true. Peanut allergy is not that hard to deal with. Everyone seems to think it is. My son also has an egg allergy, that is much harder. Peanut is pretty easy to avoid.

I'm more worried about at preschool on days that I send something different for my child, while the rest of the class is eating something that has peanut or egg that it could get to my son.

I drill it into my son why he can't eat foods because of allergies and he already at age 2 knew to ask if he could eat foods and if it had egg or peanut in it.
originalkat 07:11 AM 02-17-2010
I would not provide the special organic food for the children. I would say that you do serve some organic foods and provide well balanced meals, but if they want their children on a strictly organic diet they need to provide their own lunches.
booroo 07:53 AM 02-17-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I would not give them a break if I had to prep the food due to the extra time that it took. But if the food was ready and their was no major prep might would knock of a about 5-10 Dollars.
preping food for children with food allergies takes no more time than making regular food. Also, the only hard part is reading labels.
I have a child with food allergies, its not that hard to take the milk out and use soy/rice/Almond/Hemp milk in its place its not that hard, just learning the ratio is. When I make stuff that needs dairy, use her milk instead as the substitute. Really this makes me made that children with food allergies are left out on tons of things. Its not that hard to keep stuff that they can eat. I do alot of non dairy snack around here and food. I also provide the snacks for all the classroom parties and the after school church program(50 child and adults). I take a big hit in my budget because other people refuse to make foods that she can eat, and she is left out.
Also the food programs reimburses you for alot of the expense that you put into meals.

I would never ask a parent to bring in there own food if they had a food allergy, no if your vegan or stirckly organic, yes, that is different. But I still think that the organic can be reimbursed through the food program, or some of it anyway.
Persephone 08:01 AM 02-17-2010
Originally Posted by booroo:
preping food for children with food allergies takes no more time than making regular food. Also, the only hard part is reading labels.
I have a child with food allergies, its not that hard to take the milk out and use soy/rice/Almond/Hemp milk in its place its not that hard, just learning the ratio is. When I make stuff that needs dairy, use her milk instead as the substitute. Really this makes me made that children with food allergies are left out on tons of things. Its not that hard to keep stuff that they can eat. I do alot of non dairy snack around here and food. I also provide the snacks for all the classroom parties and the after school church program(50 child and adults). I take a big hit in my budget because other people refuse to make foods that she can eat, and she is left out.
Also the food programs reimburses you for alot of the expense that you put into meals.

I would never ask a parent to bring in there own food if they had a food allergy, no if your vegan or stirckly organic, yes, that is different. But I still think that the organic can be reimbursed through the food program, or some of it anyway.
Thank you for your post. I'm glad someone else sees that it's not that much harder. Yes, reading can be a pain at first but once you figure it out it goes pretty fast at the store. Just like someone who might be watching calories or carbs, you learn to read the labels.

The preschool that we will be using this fall is very willing to work with us on his diet needs. I do plan on bringing a lot of special treats, since DS can't have cupcakes from the store or anything like that.
booroo 08:10 AM 02-17-2010
Thank you for your post. I'm glad someone else sees that it's not that much harder. Yes, reading can be a pain at first but once you figure it out it goes pretty fast at the store. Just like someone who might be watching calories or carbs, you learn to read the labels.

The preschool that we will be using this fall is very willing to work with us on his diet needs. I do plan on bringing a lot of special treats, since DS can't have cupcakes from the store or anything like that.
r

They town that we live in now, actually is peanut/tree nut free.....Meaning the schools/preschools are free from all nuts.

As i said it not that hard. I have several websites that I purchase from. They have all the 8 food allergies free food mixes and stuff like that. My daughter has never has a chocalote chip cookies until last year when I found these special chocolate chips.

Where we lived before, in preschool she was left out alot....I learned her first year how left out she felt. Thats when I decided to be the snack mom for all parties. We had dairy free pizza parties and different stuff like. It can be done.
Unregistered 08:12 AM 02-17-2010
Food programs reimburse per meal. They don't care how expensive the food you are purchasing is, they are paying you back at a set rate.
I have one lactose intolerant child that I buy separate soy milk, yogurt, and cheese for.
I had to turn in a medical exemption form in order to serve him these foods.
When I claim his meals, I receive the same amount for his meals as I do for the other children. It's not going to break the bank or anything, but I do pay more to feed this particular child and even make a special grocery trip to buy the cheese because my regular store does not sell it. I can't feed the other children these foods and claim the meals, because they don't count if they don't have a medical exemption.
If I was really watching out for my bottom line, it would make more sense for me to have his parents provide the food.
Organic food would be completely on the parents.
Persephone 08:16 AM 02-17-2010
r

They town that we live in now, actually is peanut/tree nut free.....Meaning the schools/preschools are free from all nuts.

As i said it not that hard. I have several websites that I purchase from. They have all the 8 food allergies free food mixes and stuff like that. My daughter has never has a chocalote chip cookies until last year when I found these special chocolate chips.

Where we lived before, in preschool she was left out alot....I learned her first year how left out she felt. Thats when I decided to be the snack mom for all parties. We had dairy free pizza parties and different stuff like. It can be done.
That's great that they are peanut free where you live! I would love that!

Please PM me the sites that you use that are 'free'. I always love checking out new things!
tenderhearts 08:36 AM 02-17-2010
I have a dcg that is now 4, she has been with me since she was an infant. Her family are vegetarians and eat all organic, they have always supplied her food/snack. Now it's more of a snack they provide which she will not eat at my house. They allow me to feed her anything (which is within USDA guidelines) as long as I don't give her any meat. The snack he brings every day for her she will not eat here. So if she has apples in hers and knows that I'm feeding my kids my apples she wants my apples not hers, her dad knows this, so since they have a long drive home from my house like an hour they just eat it on the way home. It makes it nice for me that they are not so strict at my house.
momma2girls 09:26 AM 02-17-2010
This is very un-true. Peanut allergy is not that hard to deal with. Everyone seems to think it is. My son also has an egg allergy, that is much harder. Peanut is pretty easy to avoid.

I'm more worried about at preschool on days that I send something different for my child, while the rest of the class is eating something that has peanut or egg that it could get to my son.

I drill it into my son why he can't eat foods because of allergies and he already at age 2 knew to ask if he could eat foods and if it had egg or peanut in it.
yes, egg is harder, but if a daycare provider doesn't know anything on egg and peanut allergies, or milk allergies, it can be very difficult for them!! Most people don't know to look at every single label of every food, to see if has eggs or made on peanut lines, etc....... Many would just think of a peanut allergy, no nuts!!!
gbcc 09:26 AM 02-17-2010
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
You don't have to offer formula? With the food program (at least here in Minnesota), in order to get paid for the infants, I have to offer formula, then when they're old enough I have to offer iron fortified infant cereal. I do not, however, have to offer baby food. I can make my own peas in the food processor or whatever
No, I don't have to offer it. In NY I only have to offer the cereal which is no more than $2 per box and it last forever. I can offer it if I want to, but if I choose not to then I will still get reimbursed the same rate because I offer cereal. I can have a 8 wk baby on formula or breast milk and as long as I offer to buy cereal when older I will get reimbursed. I would think it was universal since it's a national program. Maybe it is up to the sponsor though.
booroo 06:45 AM 02-18-2010
yes, egg is harder, but if a daycare provider doesn't know anything on egg and peanut allergies, or milk allergies, it can be very difficult for them!! Most people don't know to look at every single label of every food, to see if has eggs or made on peanut lines, etc....... Many would just think of a peanut allergy, no nuts!!!

Well a little education goes a long way in this situation. And really whats there to know. Its deadly in some cases therefore there is no need to use. Most partents of a child that has a food allergy is willling to educate any person willing to take the time to find out more about the situation. I finally yesterday had 1 mom call and ask if she could help lessen the burden and offered to take turns with snacks at church, I gave her the websites that I shop from and she is going to purchase some of the stuff and make treats as well; ones that my daughter can have. Now that is a mom willing to be educated. Plus most members of our church, now know that she cant have dairy, they have purchased special treats for there house just for her for when we come over. This all took place within the last couple of days, this one mom started it all.

This is no different then if the child was a diabetic, my 12 year son has 2 friends with it, I have purchased special treats for them to keep over here, I always make sure they check there levels before meals. I have a chart for both so that we can count carbs. I have educated my self with diabetis since these children have come into our family.
jen 10:13 AM 02-18-2010
I would give the family a sample menu and let them know that you do supply a healthy, well balanced meal plan. Aside from that, if they would like their child to eat exclusively or almost exclusively organic that they need to either supply meals or find alternative care. I wouldn not give them a discount for supplying their own food.

As for the allergy scenario, it really isn't the same thing as it is a medical issue as opposed to a personal life style choice. That said, I don't take kids with major food allergies. As in, if they get a rash from a strawberry, no biggie...if they are going to have a lethal reaction to a food, I feel that the liability is just too great...
Persephone 10:42 AM 02-18-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
I would give the family a sample menu and let them know that you do supply a healthy, well balanced meal plan. Aside from that, if they would like their child to eat exclusively or almost exclusively organic that they need to either supply meals or find alternative care. I wouldn not give them a discount for supplying their own food.

As for the allergy scenario, it really isn't the same thing as it is a medical issue as opposed to a personal life style choice. That said, I don't take kids with major food allergies. As in, if they get a rash from a strawberry, no biggie...if they are going to have a lethal reaction to a food, I feel that the liability is just too great...
Getting a rash from a strawberry is an allergy to it. Just because it's just a rash this time doesn't mean the next time it will be "just" a rash. It could be that lethal reaction.
Carole's Daycare 11:18 AM 02-18-2010
I don't give them a price break, because I still provide the work/prep/cleanup, and some foods like fruits and veges. Really its just the processed things that may have been exposed to an allergen- for my dc family its peanut and sunflower/safflower oil- which most pre-packaged convenience foods have exposure to. If I'm cooking "real" meat and serving fresh, canned or frozen veges and fruits- that's all safe and I serve all families the same. My menu is planned in advance, so I * the days I'm concerned and mom sends her own substitute for the questionable food.

As for your all organic family that now eats 2 meals and a snack practically for free at your house- you need to tell them you can't afford it- write down in the form of a notice that on such & such date they must provide milk and organic food and snacks for their child(ren) as you simply cannot afford it and still provide quality crafts and activities, which hinders the type of care you want to provide to ALL the kids in care, including hers. A compromise might be ensuring you wash produce in FIT or Dr. Bronners- a pesticide removing produce wash- (although its not as effective for soft skinned fruits like peaches, or grapes- its pretty effective for things like apples, mangoes, cucumbers, watermelon etc. I do that anyway. I'm surprised she hasn't had issue with the household chemicals you use- Many of the more miltant organic proponents, as well as people concerned with increases in childhood cancers and various developmental problems blame household cleaners etc and use organic products like Melaleuca or Dr. Bronners.
booroo 11:19 AM 02-18-2010

This is were education about allergies and reaction come into play. That reaction right there is the start of a big one, you never know when that might be. My now 2 year old was stung by a bee, he welted and rashed up, did this 4 times after being stung. The next time was a rush to the ER 2 days in the hospital one day spent in the PICU. That is the thing about allergies, you never know when the body says enough is enough.
Carole's Daycare 11:29 AM 02-18-2010
My son's best friend (and his entire family) suffer from multiple allergies. My son's friend gets allergy shots and carries an epi-pen, as does his 1st grade sister. The baby that I watch regularly also has an epi-pen and is hugely allergic to peanuts, sunflowers, milk, eggs as well as regular nasal allergies. Thankfully not allergic at all to strawberries. But ABSOLUTELY never underestimate the possible severity of an allergic reaction. A small rash one day, a bigger rash the next time could well be followed momentarily by anaphylactic reaction. I was very nervous the first few times I watched her, but felt obligated because this mom transports my son to after school activities etc and is so important in our life- without her my son would never have had swim lessons or many other opportunities because I just cant transport him. As time has progressed I've become much more knowledgeable about what foods she can have and have a more effective plan for serving meals that keeps her food isolated/separate. Also my familes know which days she'll be here, so the moms don't send kids with peanut butter toast faces & hands- I'm still nervous, but I know what to do to keep her safe and what to do in an emergency. It's actually been a great opportunity for the kids to show empathy and concern for their friend- making sure they put on a clean shirt before daycare w/no food debris from breakfast- washing their hands carefully before handling shared toys etc.
booroo 11:34 AM 02-18-2010
Originally Posted by Carole's Daycare:
My sons best friend (and his entire family) suffer from multiple allergies. My son's friend gets allergy shots and carries an epi-pen, as does his 1st grade sister. The baby that I watch regularly also has an epi-pen and is hugely allergic to peanuts, sunflowers, milk, eggs as well as regular nasal allergies. Thankfully not allergic at all to strawberries. But ABSOLUTELY never underestimate the possible severity of an allergic reaction. A small rash one day, a bigger rash the next time could well be followed momentarily by anaphylactic reaction. I was very nervous the first few times I watched her, but felt obligated because this mom transports my son to after school activities etc and is so important in our life- without her my son would never have had swim lessons or many other opportunities because I just cant transport him. As time has progressed I've become much more knowledgeable about what foods she can have and have a more effective plan for serving meals that keeps her food isolated/separate. Also my familes know which days she'll be here, so the moms don't send kids with peanut butter toast faces & hands- I'm still nervous, but I know what to do to keep her safe and what to do in an emergency. It's actually been a great opportunity for the kids to show empathy and concern for their friend- making sure they put on a clean shirt before daycare w/no food debris from breakfast- washing their hands carefully before handling shared toys etc.
Thank you for this post. What blessing you must be for this mom. I was a neverous wreck the whole time my daughter spent in daycare, the many reason why I gave up my high paying job, I just couldnt deal with it anymore, the daycare woman never got it, and I cant tell you how many times, I was called because she was being rush to the ER because they feed her something with milk in it.

Again Carloe is right once you educate your self, it not that hard to deal with.
jen 12:13 PM 02-18-2010
This is were education about allergies and reaction come into play. That reaction right there is the start of a big one, you never know when that might be. My now 2 year old was stung by a bee, he welted and rashed up, did this 4 times after being stung. The next time was a rush to the ER 2 days in the hospital one day spent in the PICU. That is the thing about allergies, you never know when the body says enough is enough.
Well, the only thing I can tell you is this...my daughter got a rash around her mouth when she would eat strawberries. The pedi said not to worry about it, she would more than likely outgrow it. He also said we should "just give her a strawberry from time to time and check it out." He was right, she outgrew it and it was never more than a very mild redness around her mouth.

That said...I wouldn't give a daycare child a stawberry if I knew that she was allergic to it...however, if one came in contact with his/her food I would not be in a huge panic about it either. If a child has a known allergy that is definitely going to require a trip to the ER by ambulance, than I am not going to put myself at risk. It just isn't worth it to me.
momma2girls 12:39 PM 02-18-2010
Well, the only thing I can tell you is this...my daughter got a rash around her mouth when she would eat strawberries. The pedi said not to worry about it, she would more than likely outgrow it. He also said we should "just give her a strawberry from time to time and check it out." He was right, she outgrew it and it was never more than a very mild redness around her mouth.

That said...I wouldn't give a daycare child a stawberry if I knew that she was allergic to it...however, if one came in contact with his/her food I would not be in a huge panic about it either. If a child has a known allergy that is definitely going to require a trip to the ER by ambulance, than I am not going to put myself at risk. It just isn't worth it to me.
I had a child in my daycare last summer with a milk allergy. The mother asked if she could bring in snacks and her dinner with her. I said sure! It was never an issue with her at all. I was scared at first, but I got used to it. The only thing was if she got milk spilled on her at the dinner table, if she just touched it, etc. she would need her epi pen immediately. She was severely allergic to milk!!! The Mom never asked me if I would ever go down on her rates, just because she is not eating here.
Persephone 12:57 PM 02-18-2010

I think your pedi was crazy to tell you that. It could have been bad!

But the best way to avoid a trip to ER is to educate yourself about allergies and read labels.

I have a Epi-pen for my son but I plan to never have to use it because I just read labels like crazy. If we go out to a restaurant we either take a trip to McDonalds first, since they are safe or I call ahead and talk to a manager about their food.
booroo 01:18 PM 02-18-2010

But the best way to avoid a trip to ER is to educate yourself about allergies and read labels.

I have a Epi-pen for my son but I plan to never have to use it because I just read labels like crazy. If we go out to a restaurant we either take a trip to McDonalds first, since they are safe or I call ahead and talk to a manager about their food.

I agree. we carry 2 epis one for the daughter that is allergic to milk, and for my son that is allergic to bees.
TGT09 01:28 PM 02-18-2010
Do you know as a provider if I can get an epi-pen to keep on hand?? I don't have any allergies and none of my kids have any "known" allergies. Most of the kids have had almost everything. Would this be a silly thought? My cousin is allergic to peanuts so I understand it a little but need to be a little more educated. I always make him a dessert when our family get together that doesn't have nuts.
Persephone 02:28 PM 02-18-2010
Do you know as a provider if I can get an epi-pen to keep on hand?? I don't have any allergies and none of my kids have any "known" allergies. Most of the kids have had almost everything. Would this be a silly thought? My cousin is allergic to peanuts so I understand it a little but need to be a little more educated. I always make him a dessert when our family get together that doesn't have nuts.
You have to have an RX for it.
momofboys 03:13 PM 02-18-2010
But really it's not the family choice to not eat your food, your saying that you will not provide if there are food allergies. When providing for food allergies is not all that different or hard.

My son has food allergies and it's not something I picked to do.
Yes, then you need to provide what he needs. My son also had issues with regular milk when he was younger & has a peanut allergy. When he was younger he went to a home daycare provider. I provided all of the soy milk he needed which is quite pricey. I think it would be ridiculous for the provider to be expected to provide things they would not normally provide just for one child. In regards to a nut allergy my provider avoided giving him peanut products. I would not give a discount for a parent who brought their own food. When we were buying him the soy milk (Silk) I think it was $3 or more for 1/2 gallon (& this was many years ago). Why should the daycare provider "Eat" this expense. It's not the same as buying something you would use for your own family.
TGT09 03:24 PM 02-18-2010
I figured you needed an RX....it just freaks me out at the thought of something happening and me not being able to do anything.
Persephone 04:43 PM 02-18-2010
I figured you needed an RX....it just freaks me out at the thought of something happening and me not being able to do anything.
If he has one, ask his parents to send it when he is visiting. I always carry one with me and if my son was visiting someone I leave it.
Persephone 04:45 PM 02-18-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
Yes, then you need to provide what he needs. My son also had issues with regular milk when he was younger & has a peanut allergy. When he was younger he went to a home daycare provider. I provided all of the soy milk he needed which is quite pricey. I think it would be ridiculous for the provider to be expected to provide things they would not normally provide just for one child. In regards to a nut allergy my provider avoided giving him peanut products. I would not give a discount for a parent who brought their own food. When we were buying him the soy milk (Silk) I think it was $3 or more for 1/2 gallon (& this was many years ago). Why should the daycare provider "Eat" this expense. It's not the same as buying something you would use for your own family.
I'm not saying that a provider needs to provide 'special' foods. I'm saying that if a parent was to bring meals for their child, then you are not spending that money on food. So your basically making extra money on that child.
gbcc 05:22 PM 02-18-2010
I'm not saying that a provider needs to provide 'special' foods. I'm saying that if a parent was to bring meals for their child, then you are not spending that money on food. So your basically making extra money on that child.
I guess it depends on the provider, but me personally, the extra money would go towards programing. I have so much money to spend on personal allowances and so much to spend on business allowances. When it's gone in either account it's gone so if I can save on food cost (coupons, parents, ect.) then it goes to crafts, toys, and education.
mac60 06:07 PM 02-18-2010
My theory is my lunch cost the same whether I feed 3 kids or if I feed 5. If I make a box of mac and cheese, make a pack of hot dogs, open a can of peaches, the cost is the same regardless of how many I feed, 3 or 5. If I only feed 3, there may some some leftovers, but leftovers don't get reused like they should, and end up being wasted.
momofboys 06:13 PM 02-18-2010
I see your point but daycare providers get paid such minimal amounts & lunch can be provided for small amounts also. I certainly wouldn't give a parent a $1 or $2 discount per day when they only pay me a little over $2 or so an hour. I provide breakfast if they are here but several days a week they eat prior to getting here. Well I wouldn't give them a discount since they ate at home. At this point I think it's really getting nit-picky if we are talking about a dollar here, a dollar there.
jen 09:39 AM 02-19-2010

I understand that given your family history you might feel this way. I do think it is important to remember that my child's pediatrician knows my child and my family history and is therefore in a much better position to give medical advice.
momma2girls 09:53 AM 02-19-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
I see your point but daycare providers get paid such minimal amounts & lunch can be provided for small amounts also. I certainly wouldn't give a parent a $1 or $2 discount per day when they only pay me a little over $2 or so an hour. I provide breakfast if they are here but several days a week they eat prior to getting here. Well I wouldn't give them a discount since they ate at home. At this point I think it's really getting nit-picky if we are talking about a dollar here, a dollar there.
I totally agree with you!! You are still making alot of food, no matter if one has to eat their own food.
momma2girls 10:09 AM 02-19-2010
My hrly rate and probably alot of daycare provider's out there is $2.00 and some odd cents an hr. to begin with. I can't lower my rates anymore, especially how high everything is now. I went to the craft store and spent over $100.00 last week and this week, I spent $128.00 on groc. Then I plan on going to Sam's Club this weekend, and usually spend around $200.00 on items, like toilet paper, napkins, baby wipes, soap, hand sanitizer, some food, Lysol, and disinfecting wipes!!
treasurebox55 11:04 PM 02-19-2010
We are following the same type meal patterns. We are cooking home-cooked meals as many organic and fresh food items as possible. We always use organic milk and organic salad ingredients when possible. If you do not advertise your facility as serving all organic foods, you should not be expected to do so. You are the owner and have the say as to how you run your program. It is very costly to buy organic products and I would recommend suggesting to the client that while you might be very interested in that, you do not want to create undo burdens upon the families by raising the rates to cover your nutrition program at a time when the economy is so tough for families. As we have decided, you must prioritize your changes and make them a little at a time. We use many organic products and use eco-friendly products in our building. We are teaching the children about composting and preparing to garden. One step at a time. We just say, we thank you so much for you ideas and hope to incorporate them as soon as we can!
Chickenhauler 04:23 PM 02-22-2010
Originally Posted by TGT09:

I would very simply and very firmly tell the parent that this is the way things are done here, you are free to do things as you see fit on your dime. If you wish that your children eat a special diet, then you are free to provide them as you see fit.

Having come from a farming background, let me tell you, I won't drink 'organic' milk...every 'organic' diary I know of has some of the sickliest looking herds of cattle I've ever seen. Keep in mind that these animals are not vaccinated against disease and die at a much younger age, many times because of this.
Michael 08:32 PM 03-11-2010
I agree. we carry 2 epis one for the daughter that is allergic to milk, and for my son that is allergic to bees.
Here is an Allergy Action Plan Form that parents can sign if a child needs Epinephrineor orAntihistamine administered.

https://www.daycare.com/georgia/geor...rgy_chart.html
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 02:58 AM 03-12-2010
I would simply say,.. you know whats best for your child and I think to keep your childs diet as you would like it to be you must provide ALL food. Daily. Dont stress over it. THEIR lifestyle choices do not need to be imposed on you. You seem like a loving provider, trying to keep your kids healthy,.. also remember,..as far as the Mom,... the squeeky wheel may get the grease,.. but it is also the first to be replaced when you get tired of greasing it.=-) good luck.
gbcc 02:58 AM 03-12-2010
That is a great form Michael! NY has a similar form for asthma but not as detailed as this. I'm going to give this to my healthcare counsultant to see if it is ok to use here in NY!
Tags:allergies, epi-pen, epis, meals, organic food
Reply Up