Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Specializing In Infants And Toddlers
kayla 01:11 PM 12-05-2011
Hello all!!! i was thinking of specializing in infants and toddlers. I was curious if there are any providers on here that do that. If so what are your rates for those children? how does it go for you? where i live you can either have a total of 5 3 being infants/toddlers. Or you can have a total of 6 2 being infants 2 toddlers, and fill in the rest of your spots.. Thanks any input will be grately appreciated!!!
Michael 01:16 PM 12-05-2011
I placed some tags (bottom left) that may help from earliers threads.
Crystal 01:55 PM 12-05-2011
Catherder would be the person to ask. Now, where is she?
MamaBear 03:00 PM 12-05-2011
I specialize in only infants and toddlers I currently have just 5 children... 2 infants and 3 toddlers. I charge the same rate for everyone ($160 per week - I'm in California) and it never changes. It works for me! They sometimes stick around till their @ 4 years old... but having a lot of military families in my daycare, they sometimes leave sooner.
lisa@tinytots 03:23 PM 12-05-2011
I take 2 infants and 3 toddlers at most. I charge $42 per day (8am until 3 pm). Beyond 7 hours is $6 per hour. I live in an expensive area. Most people are charging $50 per day. But they are open 7:30 am until 6:00 pm. I just can't do that many hours. I am not a good fit for people that need 5 days per week. It's just too expensive. I prefer to get off by 3 or 4. I've been doing this for 20 years so I am done with the 10 hour days. I still have a few kids that leave at between at 12:30 and they only pay $24. But any new kids I will have to get the 7 hours $42 per day. My property taxes are really expensive and all of my other bills too. Needless to say I have 9 children enrolled some that only come one or two days per week. I had to blend schedules when the economy dipped. I couldn't find anyone that could afford $200 per week for full time so i decided to raise my rates and do a daily rate.
Unregistered 03:47 PM 12-05-2011
I only offer services for children ages 20 months to 5 years
I teach a preschool program from 9am to 1pm and then extended care for those that need it after those hours.

It is hard to tell you what to charge, as it really depends on your area that you live in.

To set my rates, I called everyone that I could find located with thin 15 miles each direction of me. I took what they offered vs./ what I offered at set my rates accordingly.

It is also very hard to fill up, as I am direct competition with all of the preschools. The only thing that I have gong for me, is the most of the preschools in my area only offer half day services and don't have extended care.

I make ok money, but teaching my own curriculum is really expensive, as is my community in the classroom program.

I was fulll for almost 5 years straight, the last 3 years have been up and down all over the place.
MarinaVanessa 06:02 PM 12-05-2011
I specialized in infants and toddlers too but I found that it was limiting my income. I opened up to take ages 6 weeks to age 5 (until they started kinder) and that really helped out, I was able to keep 6 children at a time.

Recently I took on a 4yo boy and they were looking for another DC to take their 6yo girl and in the end I ended up taking her as well. I don't usually (I don't like taking school agers) but it's been really nice and the extra money has helped. With my DD and 6yo dcg I'm at 6 in the daytime and 8 once school is out (my limit in CA).

I also charge $160 no matter the age for FT, I also do PT and charge $108 for 29 hours. I fill in the gaps with drop-ins for $5 an hour. I never thought I'd be offering drop-in childcare or caring for school-agers but it's really working out for me.

I think in your case I would try it out and see how you like it. If there's a demand and you're making enough income then go for it! If you have trouble filling spots then you might want to broaden your age range. You might even just make exceptions on a case by case basis. You know, do what feels right. Infant/toddler care was fun for me, I LOVED it ... but I was having trouble making ends meet this way.
Cat Herder 04:53 AM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by kayla:
i was thinking of specializing in infants and toddlers. I was curious if there are any providers on here that do that. If so what are your rates for those children? how does it go for you? where i live you can either have a total of 5 3 being infants/toddlers. Or you can have a total of 6 2 being infants 2 toddlers, and fill in the rest of your spots.. Thanks any input will be grately appreciated!!!
I specialize in only infants and toddlers (also special/medical needs ). I do quite well with this and am back up to a 3 year waiting list with calls coming in weekly.

I am in the Deep South so my rates reflect the difference in cost of living. I charge $110 week, full-time, 8am to 6pm, not based on attendance. I am one of the most expensive in my county.

They can attend every minute I am open or not at all, their choice. The full rate is due Friday in advance for the following week or their space will be filled from the waiting list. I have never had to do it because I enforce all my policies consistently across the board.

My ratio is 6 kids for pay. If I have more than 3 kids under 12 months, my ratio drops to 4.

I do want to mention that I did not START with just infants and toddlers. I built my reputation in my community beginning with school aged kids. It is much easier for parents to take a chance on a new provider when their child can tell them about their days. When kids are little parents are more likely to go with someone their friends/family have used before.

After 17 years here I can be very selective of whom I take and still be successful (I am getting older so behaviorally challenged kids/parents (non-special need) are something I pass on, now.). It did not come easily.

For new providers starting in my community it is a real challenge. I never realized how much so until I spoke with a couple recently. The market is leaning to who has the prettiest yard (landscaping), biggest home, nicest (most expensive) toys, battery toys, Star Ratings, Degrees and Standardized Curriculum. It is a rapidly changing field.

I'd recommend finding a niche market that is suited to your special skills or talents. If you enjoy what you do it shows in your work and the parents will notice. Positive word of mouth reputation is VITAL to being successful in this field.

Originally Posted by Crystal:
Catherder would be the person to ask. Now, where is she?
I am here... Been busy working on my CDA Portfolio. Homework after 40 takes a bit more time...
kayla 02:01 PM 12-06-2011
thanks!! everyone was very helpful!!i think im gonna have to keep taking all ages for now!! i appreciate all the advice!
Tags:infants, infants only, rate - 1 to 2yo, toddlers
Reply Up