Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Whining and Tattling
mac60 08:23 AM 04-05-2010
Whining and tattling.This must be the new trend of todays young children. Does it ever end? Tattle tattle whine whine.
GretasLittleFriends 08:31 AM 04-05-2010
My MIL who is retired from close to 30 years of daycare gave me probably the best advice I'd ever heard for this...

She had an ear (I'm thinking a costume type, but could have just been a pic) taped to the wall. She would tell the whiners and tattlers to go tell the ear. It was down at their level so they could talk straight into it.

I have yet to find an ear, but I do have a large stuffed Pooh bear that the kids tattle to.
newtoeverything 08:34 AM 04-05-2010
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
My MIL who is retired from close to 30 years of daycare gave me probably the best advice I'd ever heard for this...

She had an ear (I'm thinking a costume type, but could have just been a pic) taped to the wall. She would tell the whiners and tattlers to go tell the ear. It was down at their level so they could talk straight into it.

I have yet to find an ear, but I do have a large stuffed Pooh bear that the kids tattle to.
That is sooooo cute!!!
tenderhearts 09:30 AM 04-05-2010
Wow what a great idea, I have trouble with a couple of my kids doing this too.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 09:50 AM 04-05-2010
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:

I LOVE this!! I love hearing great advise...I don't have any that whine and tattle right now, but I did have a couple of years ago...I had a boy that told on my daughter every 30 secs...even if she wasn't doing a thing wrong.
Childminder 10:41 AM 04-05-2010
I have my kids talk to the mirror in the bathroom. I like the ear thing and I know that some people use a certain stuffed bear and call it 'Tell it to Teddy'.
gkids09 12:09 PM 04-05-2010
Found an ear! Have been meaning to order this one to hang on our wall, but haven't gotten around to it yet. The kids are doing better here lately with their tattling, so I guess I haven't been desperate yet
I think it's got a pretty good price on it too!
http://shop.advanceweb.com/Novelty-I...astic-Ear.aspx
Unregistered 12:30 PM 04-05-2010
That is so cool.
I tried to find a "giant plastic eye" but they didn't have one.
I want to put it up for the ones who think that as soon as I'm out of their line of sight they can turn into a bunch of rule breaking beasts.
The whole big brother thing.
The ear might work for that though, because when I do hear them acting up I usually shout out that "I can still hear you guys!"
Hmmmm
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:56 PM 04-05-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I tried to find a "giant plastic eye" but they didn't have one.
I want to put it up for the ones who think that as soon as I'm out of their line of sight they can turn into a bunch of rule breaking beasts.
Ha..I LOVE it!!!! I need that one too.
originalkat 08:09 PM 04-05-2010
I have 5 girls and only one boy. The tattling and whining NEVER ends. I am going to try the "Go Tell Teddy" ides. That giant ear is pretty cool but I dont really want it hanging on the wall.
Chickenhauler 10:24 PM 04-05-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
Whining and tattling.This must be the new trend of todays young children. Does it ever end? Tattle tattle whine whine.
It's not 'todays young children'. Every generation does it, has done it, and all future generations will continue to do it.

Where else do narcs and jailhouse snitches come from?
MarinaVanessa 08:45 AM 04-06-2010
Yes it's a problem for all of us. I have a "tattling turtle" that I got the idea from this forum a while back which worked for a while but sometimes they still want to tattle to me .

This is how the conversation yesterday went:
Child A: "Miss Vanessaaaa. ______ is touching meeeeeee"
Me: "Well, have you asked him not to?"
Child A: "No"
Me: "So ask him nicely not to touch you because I can't stop him from touching you. Only he can stop touching you"
Child A: "Please don't touch me" (distain in his voice)
Child B: After listening to the entire conversation and being given the evil eye from child A the entire time while child A holds arm that child B has touched like it's been infected by the ebola virus, he simply walks away.

You know, You gotta love Mondays lol.
TGT09 01:24 PM 04-06-2010
Fantastic idea! I'll be finding an ear ASAP!
sherrillcannon 05:03 PM 04-22-2010
Perhaps it would help to have a copy of my newly released children's book, "Peter and the Whimper-Whineys" by Sherrill S. Cannon to read to your whining child. It is now available at amazon.com.
jen 07:45 PM 04-22-2010
I had heard another provider say that they had a picture of an ear up on the wall for tattlers. I never thought that it would work, but tattling had reached an all time high so I tried it...it's working! It has cut down a ton! They are still telling me what;s important but skipping the rest.
Tags:tattling, whining
Reply Up