Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fuzzy Caterpillars Dangerous....
Oneluckymom 03:52 PM 04-19-2012
I never knew this. I always that caterpillars were harmless. Today I found a fuzzy solid black caterpillar crawling along and decided to put it in our bug jar with some rose clippings. I looked it up online to identify whether it was a moth or butterfly and read to use caution because some are poisonous and/or can cause severe allergic reactions....being a hypochondriac I began having the symptoms...lol!!

OMG....did any of you know this?
Crazy8 03:56 PM 04-19-2012
didn't know that - always thought the big black fuzzy ones were gypsy moths - we used to get TONS of them in our area when I was younger (now I guess they spray for them??).
Oneluckymom 03:58 PM 04-19-2012
I'm not sure the one I described IS poisonous but some caterpillars are. I was just shocked and now will NEVER TOUCH ONE.
Michael 04:15 PM 04-19-2012
Oh yeah, I know not to touch them as a kid. Those fuzzy hairs can sting. Here is an interesting story on hair being used as an insect protection: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/EyeHeal...ory?id=9458010
daycare 04:19 PM 04-19-2012
what really.....wow I did not know that, but I would never pick up anything I am a sissy la la....hahah
Oneluckymom 04:44 PM 04-19-2012
Daycare....I now think it's best to be a sissy lala....
Kaddidle Care 05:40 PM 04-19-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
didn't know that - always thought the big black fuzzy ones were gypsy moths - we used to get TONS of them in our area when I was younger (now I guess they spray for them??).
Big black fuzzy ones are not gypsy moth caterpillars. They are leopard moth if I recall correctly. http://www.hiltonpond.org/thisweek020608.html

Gypsy Moth caterpillars are sort of multi-colored.
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/graphics/...7/k5504-4i.jpg

I almost picked up an Io Moth Caterpillar once and one of the home-schooled kids down the block asked if it was a poisonous caterpillar. I had never heard of a poisonous one but the Io moth one can give a nasty sting like a bee sting.
http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/fasulo/woo...ges/iomoth.jpg

There's a great site for stuff like that - I think it's called name that caterpillar .com I hope it's still around.

Sorry for all the links but I sort of got into this stuff when my son was younger. He was quite the bug nut - and made me one too!

Anyone in NJ just has to go visit Insectropolis! It's awesome!!! We have a link to it on our website and I state that it's not just for boys! Something for everyone there. http://www.insectropolis.com/
Sunshine44 07:26 PM 04-19-2012
yep, you never touch a fuzzy catepillar!!
Springdaze 07:31 PM 04-19-2012
wooly bears are nice!
Sunchimes 08:01 PM 04-19-2012
I don't know about yours, but there is a black fuzzy one that is a stinging asp caterpillar. I picked up a pretty leaf when I was a kid and one was on it. I ended up in the emergency room and missed several days of school. I've been stung by scorpions, and compared to the asp, the scorpion was nothing.

They are more common in the spring and fall here, so I'm very careful not to have any leaves in my play area.
Oneluckymom 10:06 PM 04-19-2012
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I don't know about yours, but there is a black fuzzy one that is a stinging asp caterpillar. I picked up a pretty leaf when I was a kid and one was on it. I ended up in the emergency room and missed several days of school. I've been stung by scorpions, and compared to the asp, the scorpion was nothing.

They are more common in the spring and fall here, so I'm very careful not to have any leaves in my play area.
OMG!! I am so glad I am aware of this!
Kaddidle Care 05:42 AM 04-20-2012
I found a good page with great photos of the ones you don't want to touch. And Crazy8 - I stand corrected. The Gypsy Moth is listed although the ones we have here don't look like the one in the photo. I've never been stung by one - nor have I had problems with the Teddy Bear Caterpillars we have around here.

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com...s-human-health
Ariana 06:01 AM 04-20-2012
Originally Posted by chellenj:
wooly bears are nice!
Yes! I pick them up all.the.time! I think I still will since I've never had a problem in the past. Maybe I'll be more cautious of other furry ones though.
3myjob 11:45 AM 04-20-2012
WOW?!?! I DID NOT KNOW THIS...always found them and my brothers and I would keep them as a "pet" for a day and then let them go.
lilcupcakes09 11:53 AM 04-20-2012
Oh yes! My 6 yr old son stepped on one last summer in our yard in his bare feet, HORRIBLE experience for him, very very painful sting and left a mark where each hair stung him for almost a month. He couldn't walk on the bottom of his foot for 3 days. Never saw a catapillar that big in our yard before and haven't seen anymore since then. I was also stung by one in my younger years that hit my in the chin while riding a four wheeler-it was on a branch I ran over. Very painful!
GretasLittleFriends 12:08 PM 04-20-2012
The only fuzzy caterpillars I've ever seen are Wooly Bears. You guys made me very nervous, and on some quick research, they do NOT appear to be harmful. The only other caterpillar I've seen that apparently can be harmful (though not to the touch) is a monarch caterpillar. Those are toxic because of the things they eat. {Note to self - don't eat monarch caterpillars. }
KEG123 01:54 PM 04-21-2012
If I pick up a caterpillar of any sort, it's always on a stick.
dEHmom 08:22 AM 04-23-2012
Thanks for this. it was very interesting!

We have monarchs (thank goodness we aren't in the habit of eating them!). Those black hairy ones looked a little familiar, but I can't say for sure that we have those here where we live.

We've always handled caterpillars. So far we've been lucky. But I honestly think we don't have much for dangerous/venomous insects/animals here. Whew
DaycareMama 09:59 AM 04-23-2012
We get the fuzzy white ones here and they are supposed to be no joke.
Burning, rash...ect
Unregistered 02:19 PM 04-25-2012
OK SO ME AND MY FRIENDS FOUND 10 OR 13 MOTHS/CATERPILLERS BUT HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TYPE THE ARE they are mostly black with hair/fuz and have a white stripe down its back and also im trying to figure out how many males and how many females please help
Tags:allergic reactions, insects
Reply Up