Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Send This?
Angelwings36 06:23 AM 02-02-2012
I HATE, HATE, HATE parents that drill you during interviews on your "educational" qualifications of being a childcare provider. Here's a closing letter that I wrote up for an interview I just had. After all 3 of my references called me last night and reported that they all had a bad feeling about this lady, I chose not to enrol her child and told her I had filled my space. Whether I will send this letter or not can be up to you all! ENJOY!

Dear Interview,

I felt it was the polite thing to inform you that I have filled my space for July.

I did speak to one of my references last night and I believe there was some mix up about my qualifications. The course that I took is called the Child Care Career Skills course, this is something I took online a while back. The course covers such areas as; Families & Childcare, roles in childcare, basic principles of development, understanding infants and toddlers, understand preschool and school agers, operating an early childhood program, providing an appropriate environment, keeping children safe and healthy, handling schedules and routines, food for young children, developing professional skills, guiding and observing children, teaching and learning/creating art activities, language & dramatic play, social studies & music activities, science, math & active play, caring for infants and toddlers, caring for school age & special needs children.

When I spoke to you on Tuesday about my qualifications I proclaimed myself as a MOM. Being that the definition of a childcare provider is the following:

Definition of a Child Care Provider
Child Care Pro-vi-der (child'kâr prõ vid'er)n. chef, baker, janitor, sock and shoe finder, coat buttoner, boot fitter, bottle washer, grocery shopper, diaper changer, protector, dish washer, nose wiper, vegetable pusher, floor sweeper, waiter, story teller, playground attendant, PE teacher, activity director, driver, zoo keeper, inspector, aerobics instructor, tutor, entertainer, therapist, manager, derby instructor, performer, bookkeeper, self-esteem builder, teacher, helper, well wisher, nurse, traffic controller, noise controller, life saver, thinker, problem solver, engineer, designer, counselor, safety instructor, arbitrator, creator, inventor, companion, musician, historian, technician, dietitian, athlete, beautician, fire marshall, analyst, artist, dentist, scientist, biologist, technologist, accountant, manicurist, receptionist, environmentalist, pharmacist, hygienist, speech therapist, reader, builder, informer, composer, supervisor, author, navigator, peacemaker, friend. . . . . . .

And being that the definition of the mom is the same I felt the qualification of being a mother for 7 years would mean much more to you then an educational background on the concept of running a daycare, which in essence is the same thing as being a mother to more than one child at the same time.

I just wanted to clear the air so you understand why there was a “mix up” and didn’t think I was giving anyone false information.

Good luck with your search!

Sincerely, A Child Care Provider.
Crazy8 06:27 AM 02-02-2012
I would not bother sending it but I'm sure it feels good to write it out!! I wouldn't even have bothered to lie about filling your opening and would have just told her I didn't feel it was the right fit for the daycare.
Christian Mother 07:42 AM 02-02-2012
Totally agree with LittleDiamonds.

It always feels good to get it down on paper then burn it...since you already let her know that you filled the spot you don't need to really send anything further. You can ask her though if she would like to be put down on your waiting list...
Cat Herder 07:45 AM 02-02-2012
Keep it for you.

A simple "Thank you for you interest in my program. I am sorry, but at this time I do not feel we will be a good fit for one another. Good luck in your search for the right provider for you and your child. Have a great weekend. " will do.

I see you already told her you were full.... I'd not recommend that because if she is passive aggressive/vindictive, she could call everytime she see's your ad to make a point.
SandeeAR 07:45 AM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
I would not bother sending it but I'm sure it feels good to write it out!! I wouldn't even have bothered to lie about filling your opening and would have just told her I didn't feel it was the right fit for the daycare.
Agree with this, I never lie to a parent, (or anyone for that matter LOL).

She will never read past....I have filled my spot.
Blackcat31 07:48 AM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Keep it for you.

A simple "Thank you for you interest in my program. I am sorry, but at this time I do not feel we will be a good fit for one another. Good luck in your search for the right provider for you and your child. Have a great weekend. " will do.

Cat Herder 07:53 AM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Funny story.... The first pediatrician I interviewed gave me a similar speel....

I am a PITA Patient... FYI....
Blackcat31 07:56 AM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Funny story.... The first pediatrician I interviewed gave me a similar speel....

I am a PITA Patient... FYI....
You?! Really? No way!!

...me too (which is why I am in this field in the first place.)

...and the one thing I have learned over the years, is although I am really good at talking A LOT and filling silent spaces () you actually say more with less.
Cat Herder 08:04 AM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
you actually say more with less.
This is so true!!!!!!!
cheerfuldom 09:10 AM 02-02-2012
I dont try to justify my education, the way I do things, etc, etc. I am happy to explain but I dont try to please every person out there (especially ones that you arent enrolling anyway). After 5 years of home daycare, I am very "take it or leave it". I feel that I am perfectly qualified to care for children. If someone doesnt agree with me, fine, they can go find someone else but i am not going to rush around trying to show that I am qualified enough.

Keep the letter and just forget about this mom. I also do the "we arent the right fit for you" with some interviews.
Tags:declined client, interview - follow up
Reply Up