Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Providing Daycare For Neighbors
sharlan 02:46 PM 07-21-2011
Would you provide daycare for a close neighbor?

My policy is if I can see your house from my sidewalk, the answer is no.

It would irritate me to walk out to get the mail and see your car in the driveway. If the kids see that Mommy/Daddy is home, they want to be there, too.
Pammie 02:49 PM 07-21-2011
Nope.
No neighbors.
No relatives.

Crazy8 02:57 PM 07-21-2011
definitely not if it was someone I knew.... might consider if it was someone in my development that I didn't know at all. And you are right about not being able to see their house.
daysofelijah 03:10 PM 07-21-2011
I like the idea of if you can see their home, no. I have done daycare for 3 close neighbors. It is very irritating to know that the dad gets home at 3:00 nearly every day, but no one comes to pick up until my exact closing (if not late) or that one parent stays home to do yard work or clean or paint, etc.

I know they're paying me whatever they are doing so I generally am not bothered by it, but when I can look out my window and SEE that they are home and not coming to get their kids, it's irritating.
sharlan 03:54 PM 07-21-2011
It's not so much that the parents are home doing whatever, it's that the kids see and start crying and whining.

I don't have a problem when my parents tell me in the morning that they're sick or they're going to do a home project. They're paying me to watch their kids.
TBird 06:33 PM 07-21-2011
I've had the neighbor's nephew all summer and will get their daughter in the fall. I don't have any problem with it as long as we're not friends.......it's strictly biz.

It's true though....the nephew whined and cried every time we passed the house to get to the park (mom is usually home...she just sends him to learn & interact with other children. I could care less who's home as long as I get paid on time). I just continued to ignore the whining and he finally stopped one day, never to whine again!
CheekyChick 10:03 PM 07-21-2011
I watch a neighbors child and it's worked out great. I don't care if they are home, working, sleeping, etc. I just care that I get paid on time and I always do.
mom2many 10:24 PM 07-21-2011
I had a dck that lived down the street. Parents were both teachers and home by 4 pm, but wouldn't come get their child till I closed at 6 pm. I'd see dcd's car in the driveway and wonder why he wasn't here to come get his child...then one day it was 15 minutes past my closing and he still wasn't here. After making numerous calls, I found out that he'd taken his "normal" afternoon nap and had not heard the alarm he'd set or his phone when I'd called! Soon after that I termed the family when I had my 2nd child saying, "Sorry I don't have room anymore."
I learned my lesson...no more neighbors!
littlemissmuffet 10:20 AM 07-22-2011
Never. I have neighbors ask at least once a month too - and it is so NEVER gonna happen!

No neighbors.
No friends.
No family.
MommyMuffin 10:54 AM 07-22-2011
I have a dck who is a neighbor. My advice is do not do it.
The reason is; I have buisness decisions to make and I dont want to worry about having hard feeling with a neighbor. I dont want to be concerned about taking my kids for a walk and a disgruntle former daycare parent a few houses away is outside watering their lawn giving me the stink eye.

This did not happen, I am just saying.

My situation is: I have a neighbor dck and I need to make room for a sibling of a dcb in my care. I had to think long and hard about it because I didnt want to hurt feelings. But, I have to make a buisness decision and I need to keep the other dcks to make money. So I will be letting the neighbor dck go and I am not looking forward to the stink eye.

So, I would say dont do it.
nannyde 11:03 AM 07-22-2011
No neighbors
No friends
NO family
No family, neighbors, or friends of dcp's

"six degrees of separation" is best
SimpleMom 11:05 AM 07-22-2011
Nope. Did that once and will never do it again.
Country Kids 11:07 AM 07-22-2011
[quote=nannyde;130306]No neighbors
No friends
NO family

Have you ever started taking care of children then find out the parents are friends in your chiddcare or a cousin or somehow know each other?
nannyde 11:10 AM 07-22-2011
[quote=Country Kids;130311]
Originally Posted by nannyde:
No neighbors
No friends
NO family

Have you ever started taking care of children then find out the parents are friends in your chiddcare or a cousin or somehow know each other?
Oh yes

Once with former bff's
Once with neighbors

and it didn't make me no money....
CheekyChick 11:25 AM 07-22-2011
Out of curiosity, why do many providers (here) shy away from enrolling a friend/family member of a child they currently care for? I am full with 16 and
have a rather long wait list. I doubt I would stay full if it weren't for referrals.
SandeeAR 12:01 PM 07-22-2011
No neighbors
No friends
NO family

"six degrees of separation" is best
Funny, everyone seems to have a problem with this grouping. Me Nope.

1st family: Our church youth pastor
2nd family: A girl my daughter went to school with
3rd family: Co-worker of my DD
4th family: Friend of co-worker above
5th family: Friend of family 3 and 4

No problems. They have all been great families!
CheekyChick 12:06 PM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Funny, everyone seems to have a problem with this grouping. Me Nope.

1st family: Our church youth pastor
2nd family: A girl my daughter went to school with
3rd family: Co-worker of my DD
4th family: Friend of co-worker above
5th family: Friend of family 3 and 4

No problems. They have all been great families!
Me too!!!

I have cousins, co-workers, friends, and a fantastic neighbor. They are all wonderful families and there hasn't been a single problem. As a matter of fact, I think it gives my DC a "warmer" feel because so many of the parents/children know one another.
nannyde 12:11 PM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
Out of curiosity, why do many providers (here) shy away from enrolling a friend/family member of a child they currently care for? I am full with 16 and
have a rather long wait list. I doubt I would stay full if it weren't for referrals.
Full with a rather long wait list: Time to raise some rates

It's about the percentage each family has of the total income. The more children you have the less one family affects the bottom line. You have a lot of wiggle room when you have 16 and a long wait list. You don't have that when you have four/six/eight kids.
momma2girls 12:21 PM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Would you provide daycare for a close neighbor?

My policy is if I can see your house from my sidewalk, the answer is no.

It would irritate me to walk out to get the mail and see your car in the driveway. If the kids see that Mommy/Daddy is home, they want to be there, too.
I have a friend that babysat for their neighbor, and she was out tanning the entire day. That was the end of it for her!
CheekyChick 01:49 PM 07-22-2011

It's about the percentage each family has of the total income. The more children you have the less one family affects the bottom line. You have a lot of wiggle room when you have 16 and a long wait list. You don't have that when you have four/six/eight kids.
If I went much higher, I wouldn't stay full. I actually don't have a lot of "wiggle room" because my overhead is so high. I NEED to stay full to keep things running. That is why I gladly welcome referrals.
nannyde 01:57 PM 07-22-2011
I charge X for infants and X for 2+ (full time). That is pretty much the top range for in-home care in my area. If I went much higher, I wouldn't stay full. I actually don't have a lot of "wiggle room" because my overhead is so high. I NEED to stay full to keep things running. That is why I gladly welcome referrals.
Just five dollars a week per child would net your business 4160 a year. That's a lot of money.
CheekyChick 02:04 PM 07-22-2011
Just five dollars a week per child would net your business 4160 a year. That's a lot of money.
I love the idea of an additonal $4,160.00 per year. Cruise? Shoes? Botox? I'd probably just put it right back into my business. I'm too practical.
bice99 02:34 PM 07-22-2011
I loved watching my neighbor's son. I was always paid on time. Daddy always picked up as soon as he got home (Mom was sleeping b/c of night shift) and he got picked up instantly if he got sick. And yes, we're friends with our neighbors. But this year they wanted me at 6 AM and I won't do that, so off to a center they go
Country Kids 02:58 PM 07-22-2011

I'm totally confused on this one? Easily done-remember birthday is coming up which means brain is getting older, not computing as well anymore If you are full, have a great relationship with your families why raise your rates and possibly lose a great thing.

CheekyChick and I were actually talking and for my area I charge several hundred dollars less than her and I'm on the high end of my area. Remember I charge hourly so in the end my fulltimers sometimes hours will make their rates about 50-100 dollars more than the flatrates around this area.
CheekyChick 03:34 PM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I'm totally confused on this one? Easily done-remember birthday is coming up which means brain is getting older, not computing as well anymore If you are full, have a great relationship with your families why raise your rates and possibly lose a great thing.

CheekyChick and I were actually talking and for my area I charge several hundred dollars less than her and I'm on the high end of my area. Remember I charge hourly so in the end my fulltimers sometimes hours will make their rates about 50-100 dollars more than the flatrates around this area.
That's my dilemma... Although I LOVE the idea of making more money, I feel my rates are exactly where they should be and I don't want to ruin a good thing. Just $20.00 more per month could make a potential new family choose another provider. Plus, I would feel horrible raising my rates on my long-term families.

I still think it's a shame you live in an area that rates are so much lower. You work so hard and deserve to make exactly the same. That really stinks.
Kaddidle Care 05:35 PM 07-22-2011
The first child I ever watched besides my own was a next door neighbor's SA. She didn't quite work out so I termed her.

I watched another neighbor's child for a good 2 years and it was a blast. She was the daughter I never had. Her Mom became a SAHM after the 2nd child was born. We are still friends and our kids still play together.
cheerfuldom 08:00 PM 07-22-2011
Neighbors and such can work but the reality is that it doesn't for a lot of providers. I have watched one close neighbors but we didnt know each other before working together. I still have this little girl almost 2 years later but besides that, I don't do family, friends, anyone from my church or anyone close with any of the above. The problem I have is that most of these people want discounts and exceptions because they already know me. I did drop in care for a year for one neighbor and the FIRST time I couldn't take her son, she got all huffy and never asked again and never talked to me after that. So I guess the full year of saying yes meant absolutely nothing after just that one no.
Unregistered 09:11 PM 07-22-2011
This post interests me. My current clients include:

1: Brother and Sister in Laws kids
2: Neighbor 2 houses down- across street (can see house from here)
3. Unknown (before providing care) childcare assistance family.

Who do you think gives me the most trouble?

Actually Family 3 is leaving very soon and I couldn't be happier. Family 1 and 2 are now friends from having similar pick up times and they like knowing each other. I like the comfortable feeling of knowing these people outside of business. And I have NO problem with either sleeping, mowing, doing whatever they want while their kids are in daycare. I clean my house and do my own personal things during daycare so what is the difference? I'm not going to change their parenting style and their choices about what is important so why bother. I get paid- who cares what they do?
Ariana 03:38 PM 07-24-2011
I take care of my neighbours kids and although it's working out fairly well she's a big PITA!! It's funny how you *think* you know a family but you really have no idea until you start dealing with them and their kids. I would have told you that she was a wonderful mother before I started taking care of her kids and now I think she's pathetic!! It definately has put a damper on us ever being friends!!
Sugar Magnolia 11:11 AM 07-25-2011
I don't have a problem with neighbors, 4 of my clients live within 2 blocks, but none within sight of the center. I can see how immediate neighbors and the child being able to SEE mom or dad is home might be an issue. Friends-nope-want a discount. Had a friend who outright said "don't I get a discount? C'mon its ME" Family-nope-dont want to pay period or feel like they can break any and all rules. Luckily, I have no family with pre-k kids locally. And my friends.... wait....what's a friend again? Oh yeah, they were those people who all went "poof" when I opened my business. Jealous, catty women. Blech. Who needs 'em? Tell you what I do need, A PEN PAL! Any takers?
Tags:neighbor issue, provider - friends
Reply Up