Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dr. Seuss Birthday
MommyMuffin 05:46 AM 02-19-2011
I have 2 2yos who would love to celebrate Dr.Seuss birthday..we will celebrate next friday (my birthday!!)

So far I have a hat project, Horton Hears a Who movie, and lots of Dr. Seuss books, we are going to make cupcakes too.

Anyone else celebrating? Any more ideas?
mickey2 05:51 AM 02-19-2011
I am planning on celebrating as well. I have a 4 year old who just LOVES Dr Seuss

I am going to stretch it out for the week starting on Monday Feb 28 and make it Dr Seuss week!

Check this out! Great ideas! Have fun!

http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/mar...l/blmar2nd.htm

http://www.seussville.com/
Pammie 07:44 AM 02-19-2011
It's one of my favorite days of the year!!

I ask the kids to wear their favorite mismatched crazy socks (Fox In Socks)

We have butter toast - kids choose to eat theirs butter side up or down - with breakfast (The Butter Battle Book)

We have green eggs and ham for lunch (Green Eggs and Ham)

We use Model Magic to create our own animals (If I Ran The Zoo)

Each child gets a 4 ft length of butcher paper and makes colorful footprints by walking in paint - and then all over the paper (The Foot Book)

We sort/graph colored goldfish crackers (One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish)

We use chenille stems to make daisy headbands (Daisy Head Maisy)

We make Oobleck - equal parts cornstarch and water. Each child chooses their color by dropping in food coloring. Seal in a baggie and double-seal with duct tape. Its a fun squishy mess to play with while we read (Bartholomew and the Oobleck)

We match pictures of baby animals to their mothers in a Memory/Concentration type card game (Are You My Mother?)

My collection of Dr. Seuss Books are in a special basket for the kids to choose on their own during free-play times.

Did I mention it's one of my most favorite days of the year??
Kaddidle Care 07:49 AM 02-19-2011
Don't forget Wacky Wednesday! The kids get a kick out of dressing up wacky and the parents have been very talented with the outfits, right down to 2 tone hair! (If they forget turn their shirt inside out or backwards and they'll fit in.)
busymomof2 09:52 AM 02-28-2011
We will be celebrating the whole week as well. I got out all my DR. Seuss books and checked out more from the library. We will be doing the following
1. watching Cat in the Hat cartoon on PBS in the ams
2. a birthday party for Dr. Seuss on Tuesday with cake and gifts for the kids. Each child will get a Dr. Seuss book. I got them from target for $5 each on sale.
3. Crafts will be: Simon the fish from tissue, cat in the hat hat, thing one and thing two construction paper craft.
4. We will be eating green eggs and ham for lunch one day
5. Reading just his books for story time
6. watching Hornet hears a Who movie
7. and the kids will dress up according to the schedule below.

Tuesday: The 500 Hats of Bartholomew- Wear a hat
Wednesday: Wacky Wednesday- Come dressed mixed up
Thursday: Sleep Book- Wear pjs (but shoes to go outside)
Friday: Fox in Socks-Wear your favorite socks
My daughter is so excited!
Cat Herder 10:12 AM 02-28-2011
I love Theodor Geisel!!!!! One of my all time favorite authors.

His birthday is one of my favorite holidays...

Did you know oriental trading company has the wall clings, now???
gkids09 11:41 AM 02-28-2011
I actually wrote my term paper on Dr. Seuss when I was in high school!!
I LOVE his books. The kids do too. We read The Cat in the Hat this morning, and will read more of his books all day. I have started doing art lessons with them once or twice a week to practice following directions, and today we made the cat's hat.

Tomorrow I think we'll read The Foot Book and paint feet like a pp has suggested!

I'm off Wednesday, so my two assistants will be doing the project with them that day. It'll probably be One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. They'll use colored goldfish crackers to make their craft. They'll also sing Happy Birthday to Dr. Seuss.

Thursday I haven't decided yet...Possibly I Can Read with My Eyes Shut! and make books with all the pictures they've made all week...That may be Friday's story though. Who knows...

We'll make cupcakes Friday, and send them home...Let mom and dad sugar them up for the weekend. haha!

Any other suggestions?
AnythingsPossible 12:34 PM 02-28-2011
Originally Posted by busymomof2:
We will be celebrating the whole week as well. I got out all my DR. Seuss books and checked out more from the library. We will be doing the following
1. watching Cat in the Hat cartoon on PBS in the ams
2. a birthday party for Dr. Seuss on Tuesday with cake and gifts for the kids. Each child will get a Dr. Seuss book. I got them from target for $5 each on sale.
3. Crafts will be: Simon the fish from tissue, cat in the hat hat, thing one and thing two construction paper craft.
4. We will be eating green eggs and ham for lunch one day
5. Reading just his books for story time
6. watching Hornet hears a Who movie
7. and the kids will dress up according to the schedule below.

Tuesday: The 500 Hats of Bartholomew- Wear a hat
Wednesday: Wacky Wednesday- Come dressed mixed up
Thursday: Sleep Book- Wear pjs (but shoes to go outside)
Friday: Fox in Socks-Wear your favorite socks
My daughter is so excited!
I think I am totally stealing your week! We have spring break this week and I have been spinning my wheels trying to decide what to do with the SA kids this week. Your plan sounds fun, thanks for sharing.
AnythingsPossible 12:44 PM 02-28-2011
Originally Posted by Pammie:
It's one of my favorite days of the year!!

I ask the kids to wear their favorite mismatched crazy socks (Fox In Socks)

We have butter toast - kids choose to eat theirs butter side up or down - with breakfast (The Butter Battle Book)

We have green eggs and ham for lunch (Green Eggs and Ham)

We use Model Magic to create our own animals (If I Ran The Zoo)

Each child gets a 4 ft length of butcher paper and makes colorful footprints by walking in paint - and then all over the paper (The Foot Book)

We sort/graph colored goldfish crackers (One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish)

We use chenille stems to make daisy headbands (Daisy Head Maisy)

We make Oobleck - equal parts cornstarch and water. Each child chooses their color by dropping in food coloring. Seal in a baggie and double-seal with duct tape. Its a fun squishy mess to play with while we read (Bartholomew and the Oobleck)

We match pictures of baby animals to their mothers in a Memory/Concentration type card game (Are You My Mother?)

My collection of Dr. Seuss Books are in a special basket for the kids to choose on their own during free-play times.

Did I mention it's one of my most favorite days of the year??
These sound fun as well! The oobleck, i've never tried but my kids have done it in school and always used borax...it works with just corn starch and water?
Tags:dr seuss, wacky wednesday, wednesday
Reply Up