Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do I Cancel Daycare? Sore Throat And Low Grade Fever
Miss Lindsey 03:14 PM 12-13-2010
I dont know if its strep or just a viral sore throat. I have kids here until 6 every night, so I cant get to a dr to find out. If I keep up on the motrin/tylenol, I feel ok. When on earth do you go to the dr when you are sick? I dont want to lose the money for tomorrow (unlicensed, private daycare and I dont charge for missed days) if its just a virus kinda t fy ing...but if its strep...i dont wanna continue to suffer without antibiotics and risk infecting the rest of my family and daycare kids. I know most of you say you dont cancel if you are sick, so just curious how you handle stuff like this.
Gotta love winter germs!
jen 03:21 PM 12-13-2010
Nope, I would probably stay open. If you can run up to urgent care tonight to make sure you don't have strep, that may be a good idea. Hope you feel better!
Miss Lindsey 03:30 PM 12-13-2010
Yeah, our urgent care closes at 6...right after my last kid leaves. Might see if I can get my hubby to stay and watch them while I go in the morning. He hates seeing $$$ fly out the door too.
marniewon 03:43 PM 12-13-2010
Start downing garlic - better than any antibiotic out there, and it's cheap, and you don't need a prescription for it (Just make sure you have a lot of mints on hand!!)
jen 05:13 PM 12-13-2010
speaking of home remedies...

Make yourself some hot tea and add honey and cayenne pepper! Seriously, your throat will feel better in no time.
Crystal 06:22 PM 12-13-2010
Do you have white spots in your throat? Are your glands swollen?Are you fatiqued? If so, you probably have strep and you're contagious.

Is there a Rite-Aid, or CVS in your area? Some of them have clinics in their stores that are open later hours. Call and check and you can get a strep culture taken and it only takes a few minutes ( my hubby had to do this before, it was $65 for the visit plus prescription)

Otherwise, If you have those symptoms, I would try to find someone to come work for you (while you are there, resting) and go see a doctor. You don't want to be responsible for the DCK getting strep.
DanceMom 06:50 AM 12-14-2010
My health comes first....My kids health comes first. If I have to close because I thought I had to go to the doctor for strep throat...I would.

If anything could you have parents pick up an hour early so you can go at 5 ?
Miss Lindsey 08:09 AM 12-14-2010
Went to urgent care this morning...strep throat. I was miserable all night with fever and throat pain so bad I saw stars when I swallowed. I texted all my parents to let them know and that they could use their own discretion. 2 cancelled, one said "still coming...just dont lick her...lol". So she is here, but she will be going down for a nap soon and I plan on curling up and sleeping too. Hoping the antibiotics kick in quick.

Thanks for the suggestions!
momofboys 08:23 AM 12-14-2010
Originally Posted by Miss Lindsey:
Went to urgent care this morning...strep throat. I was miserable all night with fever and throat pain so bad I saw stars when I swallowed. I texted all my parents to let them know and that they could use their own discretion. 2 cancelled, one said "still coming...just dont lick her...lol". So she is here, but she will be going down for a nap soon and I plan on curling up and sleeping too. Hoping the antibiotics kick in quick.

Feel better! Get your rest!
kendallina 09:09 AM 12-14-2010
Ugh, sorry it's strep. I like what the one parent said, "just don't lick her"...lol.
marniewon 09:58 AM 12-14-2010
Originally Posted by Miss Lindsey:

I can't believe the one parent still brought their child! Have they ever had strep? Do they have any idea how much it hurts and how it will feel to that little one when she gets it? And how dcp's will have to miss work when she does get it? Out of curiosity, was this parent mom or dad?

Hope you feel better soon!
DanceMom 12:01 PM 12-14-2010
Doesnt surprise me that one child still came - I have a mom that will bring her daughter NO MATTER what ! So instead of offering, if I am THAT miserable I close.

Hope you feel better soon !! I hate strep!!!
Miss Lindsey 12:11 PM 12-14-2010
Its the mom. She is the kind of mom who would attend a chickwn pox party just to expose her to it early rather than vaccinate. I dont lick dcg, but she does put EVERYTHING in her mouth.
Tags:close daycare, fever, sick days, sore throat
Reply Up