Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ideas For This Space?
Lianne 11:34 AM 08-26-2013
I have a small space in my living room that I want to turn into a cozy nook. I plan to use it for transition times, while prepping lunch or during pick ups, with books and puzzles and the small amount of tv watching the kids do.

I'll be moving the cubbies elsewhere. I have no extra funds so I need to be creative. As much as I'd love a cute carpet, I have a houseful of cats that shed a whole extra cat daily. Within a week, despite daily vacuuming, carpets always look trashed. Those foam square would be cute, too but my cats scratch the heck out of them, too.

I'd love some ideas, despite my limitations.
Attached: Picture 1632.jpg (87.4 KB) 
SunnyDay 11:39 AM 08-26-2013
You could reuse a crib mattress on the floor, cover it with a sheet and add some pillows against the wall.
melilley 11:40 AM 08-26-2013
Check this out: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60054636/. I think it is the cutest thing ever! One provider had them attached to the wall hanging over the cribs. I was going to steal her idea and put one in my reading area, attached to the wall. And they are fairly cheap too! You could put a bookshelf and a few pillows, nice and cozy!
I am sure you could make one, but I'm not that creative!

blandino 11:44 AM 08-26-2013
We bought a similar item from ikea, but it is a circus tent - and we use that in our cozy corner.

We have the foam tiles in that area, which I know you said don't work for you. We also have a small foam couch, but I want to replace it with a bench cushion, I saw a cute on at Ikea, but never got it. And then we have a Tom of pillows and a box of blankets in there.
melilley 11:46 AM 08-26-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
We bought a similar item from ikea, but it is a circus tent - and we use that in our cozy corner.

We have the foam tiles in that area, which I know you said don't work for you. We also have a small foam couch, but I want to replace it with a bench cushion, I saw a cute on at Ikea, but never got it. And then we have a Tom of pillows and a box of blankets in there.
I think I could go on a shopping spree at Ikea!
Lianne 11:47 AM 08-26-2013
Originally Posted by SunnyDay:
You could reuse a crib mattress on the floor, cover it with a sheet and add some pillows against the wall.
A crib mattress is perfect and I bet I can find one for free on a local recycle site. Thanks!
Lianne 11:49 AM 08-26-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Check this out: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60054636/. I think it is the cutest thing ever! One provider had them attached to the wall hanging over the cribs. I was going to steal her idea and put one in my reading area, attached to the wall. And they are fairly cheap too! You could put a bookshelf and a few pillows, nice and cozy!
I got one of these (used) last month and screwed it to the fence in the backyard over our dinosaur jungle dirt pile. I won't be able to bring that one inside but I'll keep my eye out for another one. Good idea! Thanks
LK5kids 01:13 PM 08-26-2013
[quote=melilley;382346]Check this out: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60054636/. I think it is the cutest thing ever! One provider had them attached to the wall hanging over the cribs. I was going to steal her idea and put one in my reading area, attached to the wall. And they are fairly cheap too! You could put a bookshelf and a few pillows, nice and cozy!
I am sure you could make one, but I'm not that creative! [/QUOTE

I have the light blue circus type awning from Ikea and it's only $9.99!
melilley 09:39 AM 08-28-2013
Originally Posted by Lianne:
I have a small space in my living room that I want to turn into a cozy nook. I plan to use it for transition times, while prepping lunch or during pick ups, with books and puzzles and the small amount of tv watching the kids do.

I'll be moving the cubbies elsewhere. I have no extra funds so I need to be creative. As much as I'd love a cute carpet, I have a houseful of cats that shed a whole extra cat daily. Within a week, despite daily vacuuming, carpets always look trashed. Those foam square would be cute, too but my cats scratch the heck out of them, too.

I'd love some ideas, despite my limitations.
I saw this yesterday and immediately thought of you! Here are a few ideas that I thought would look really cute in your space!

http://jxn.craigslist.org/bab/3963377687.html
AcornMama 01:28 PM 08-28-2013
I literally just took this picture and loaded it onto my computer to send to dh because I'm trying to figure out if I like the fence decoration or not. I emailed him then started reading messages here. Thought it was funny to find discussion on cozy corner and Ikea decorations right after I took a picture of mine.

This is our cozy corner or book corner or whatever-I-end-up-calling-it-corner. It's in a corner of our living room, which is kinda small, but is now dedicated to preschool/daycare use. Our couches, tv, etc. have been relocated to a bonus room.

I just hope the decorations hold up.
Attached: DSCN2596.jpg (79.3 KB) 
misslori50 02:11 PM 08-28-2013
we have that tent too
misslori50 02:17 PM 08-28-2013
This is what we did the book shelves are made from old head boards
Lavender 02:17 PM 08-28-2013
I used this to create a cozy area in my room:

http://www.amazon.com/Knights-Playho...ds=castle+tent

LoraJenkins 02:33 PM 08-28-2013
I have one over the reading area in my room. You can see photos in my photo file.
MotherNature 06:29 PM 08-28-2013
i have that leaf over my son's bed. He has a Very Hungry Caterpillar room.
melilley 10:42 AM 08-29-2013
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
i have that leaf over my son's bed. He has a Very Hungry Caterpillar room.
What a cute idea!
melilley 10:44 AM 08-29-2013
Originally Posted by AcornMama:
I literally just took this picture and loaded it onto my computer to send to dh because I'm trying to figure out if I like the fence decoration or not. I emailed him then started reading messages here. Thought it was funny to find discussion on cozy corner and Ikea decorations right after I took a picture of mine.

This is our cozy corner or book corner or whatever-I-end-up-calling-it-corner. It's in a corner of our living room, which is kinda small, but is now dedicated to preschool/daycare use. Our couches, tv, etc. have been relocated to a bonus room.

I just hope the decorations hold up.
I love your little area. I think the fence looks so cute!
Brooksie 10:58 AM 08-29-2013

I have this over my book nook! I love it!
530429_413237895412905_1531562733_n.jpg
Have the canopy, some comfy pillows, stuffed animals, book case and a very small area rug from Ikea, think it was $5.00 and its shag. My dog sleeps on it and I can never see his hair..
Attached:
melilley 11:00 AM 08-29-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
I have this over my book nook! I love it!
Attachment 1938
Have the canopy, some comfy pillows, stuffed animals, book case and a very small area rug from Ikea, think it was $5.00 and its shag. My dog sleeps on it and I can never see his hair..
Ok, I love your book nook, I'm going to have to get one! They look so cute in all the pictures that I have seen!
AcornMama 11:47 AM 08-29-2013
I love your little area. I think the fence looks so cute!
Thanks! Looks like I mounted my leaf a lot lower than Brooksie did. Hope I don't end up regretting that!
AcornMama 11:48 AM 08-29-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
I love the little rug! Something else to add to my wish list!
Starburst 02:01 PM 08-29-2013
Maybe instead of a little rug having a welcome/goodbye mat.
Attached: hello, goodbye.jpg (58.8 KB) 
Brooksie 02:36 PM 08-29-2013
Originally Posted by AcornMama:
Thanks! Looks like I mounted my leaf a lot lower than Brooksie did. Hope I don't end up regretting that!
I mounted mine so high because of the stairs and lighting. I didn't want the view blocked from the steps and my lamp is pretty tall. I also planned on, and now use the small wall space for our daily schedule. I think yours looks nice and cozy! I love the fence! I also like the idea of being able to mount it lower, I like the effect it gives better for some reason but I would be worried about kids messing with it. I have a really young group though- 3 and under.
MCC 07:07 AM 08-30-2013
I have the Ikea leaves as well. I have a HUGE teddy bear that we got from Vermont Teddy Bear (a gift), and a book shelf. I separated the area with Ikea Expedit Units. I use the 4x4 one as a changing table.

This is also the area that I trap the babies in when the older kids are dancing and running around.

I think this is y favorite area in our playroom.

Lianne 07:17 AM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by MCC:
I have the Ikea leaves as well. I have a HUGE teddy bear that we got from Vermont Teddy Bear (a gift), and a book shelf. I separated the area with Ikea Expedit Units. I use the 4x4 one as a changing table.

This is also the area that I trap the babies in when the older kids are dancing and running around.

I think this is y favorite area in our playroom.

That's really cute. I got a used crib mattress last night and will go searching for throw pillows or something to make it look like a daybed when done. I do like the idea of the leaf canopy so I'll be watching for one.
Tags:layout, organize, remodel
Reply Up