Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Here
temom 11:07 AM 05-07-2012
Hello
I recently found this forum, and its been a life saver. I am from toronto, canada. and i run a home daycare for the last 2 years. Since the start of the new year i have had two very bad experiences with DCP. First one set of DCP whos kids i had been looking after for over a yr, stopped coming and ended up not paying me for my services for that month, i do have a pay in advance policy, but i was like i have known them for a yr their kids are friends with my kids so to me it was okay when the dad said he has money trouble and would pay me end of the month. At the end of the month they came acussing me off hitting their kids, and keeping them in the same diapers and putting them and their kids in emtional turmoil for the last 6 months blah blah!!! i was so shocked and disturbed that i let them walk off my property with paying me.

Secondly i was back stabbed by a friend who i helped start her own daycare and would send one of my DCK to her as back up, she brainwashed this kids mum who had been with me for 3 yrs and the DCM pulled her kid out without any notice and now is going to this so called friend. And later i found out that the same friend had fb the other parents as well and saying nasty things behind my back to them as well. I have been so depressed and down because of all this. I can't believe people can be like this.
Thanks for listening
Blackcat31 11:22 AM 05-07-2012
Welcome to the forum!

Your status has been upgraded so you can post freely now
cheerfuldom 11:25 AM 05-07-2012
I am SOOOO sorry you are going thru this. Unfortunately, you learned the hard way, two important lessons: NEVER do work without pay in advance, no exceptions. NEVER mix business and friendship.

Running your own business means you have to think like a business owner. You cannot just trust someone because they are a friend or a long time client.

Please stick around and post any questions you have! The experienced ladies here will tell you exactly how it is and 99% of the time, they are right. I wish I would have had a forum like this when I first started because I had some bad experiences just like yours. It is heart breaking but you learn to avoid things like this or handle them professional should they still happen.
DCP 12:58 PM 05-07-2012
I agree 100% with Cheerful - NEVER mix pleasure with business EVER...that is one thing I have refused from the get go. I have plenty of friends that want to either send their kids to me or have me help them do this.
I refuse both! I explain to them why of course. My own family member who does it...stabbed me in the back!!! On top of which when she started EXPECTED me to do everything for her!!

Also yes ALWAYS get money up front. i require not only first week ahead but also a deposit which covers one week of care. If they do not pay on Friday I do have the deposit..they have until Tuesday before I let them know they are depleting their deposit and can be terminated by Friday.

People in this world are amazing and I am for ever being horrified by the actions of others...I will NEVER understand it and I try not to even bother trying to.

Wish you lots of luck!!! (BTW..the kids are not the only ones that learn during this experience LOL)
temom 01:06 PM 05-07-2012
Thank you Sooo much, its nice to get all this off my chest, and you all are right i have enough friends and shouldn't mix business with pleasure. I guess this is lesson learned!!!
Has anyone ever taken people like these to small claims court??? i am still thinking if i should take them to court and get my money back, i do have enough proof ( contract) as well as an e-mail where he is refusin g to pay me money because of the emotional roller coater i have put his family through. Advice please.
AfterSchoolMom 01:07 PM 05-07-2012
Welcome to the forum!

I'm so sorry that you've had some bad experiences. I agree - never mix business with friendships. Hopefully your next families will be good ones.
DCP 01:12 PM 05-07-2012
If it was only a week's pay - i would not waste my time really. But I am one of those people that can not stand wasted time either LOL Even sitting on the couch staring at a tv is wasted time to me
My time off from work if not for doctors..I want to be pleasurable not spent in a court room LMAO

It depends on your feelings on how strong you feel you want justice (as it is not always just about the dollar) If you really want justice from this person and have the back up proof..then by all means..go for yours!!
temom 01:16 PM 05-07-2012
Thanks DCP, and its about a grand. silly me let them con me for a month
I personally am a very God fearing person and so believe in karma, but losing a grand has me on the fence. i guess this is kinda a poll to see what a group of fellow DCP would say.
DCP 01:18 PM 05-07-2012
Holy Moly!!!!
Well then my opinion changes..yes take them to court!!! But be expected to hear "why would you do that" LMAO
temom 01:20 PM 05-07-2012
HAHAHAHA!!!! yea i know that is coming as well. thanks
DCP 01:21 PM 05-07-2012
LOL Your welcome!! And the best of luck!!! From those court shows my hubby watches...as long as you have the proof...you will come out on top!!! (even if the judge beats you up a little)
MyAngels 08:20 PM 05-07-2012
You could always turn it over to a collection agency. You might lose some amount to fees (I'm not sure, as I've never had to use a collection agency), but at least you wouldn't have to go to court.

For a grand, I would definitely not let it go. As a matter of fact, I'd try to make their lives miserable while collecting - but I'm kind of mean that way .
Michael 10:17 PM 05-07-2012
Welcome to the forum. I just started a business in Toronto.
temom 04:55 AM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by Michael:
Welcome to the forum. I just started a business in Toronto.
Hi Michael, what kinda business if you don't mind me asking?
saved4always 05:11 AM 05-08-2012
Welcome to the forum! I am so happy that I found it at the beginning of this year, too. It so helps to talk to other people who understand childcare dilemmas.

Sounds like that first family had it planned out to leave without paying and is making accusations to stop you from collecting the money. If you had a contract, you could take them to court or collections. I am a non-confrontational person so I would probably stew about it and then let it go. Of course, that is not a good business move, nor is it right for them to get away with not paying.

That stinks about your "friend". I have 3 friends on my street who also provide home child care and everyone is very respectful of each other's business; we send potential clients to each other when we are full but we don't steal clients from each other or talk badly about each other.
saved4always 05:15 AM 05-08-2012
Ohhhhhhhh....just saw the post that they owe you a grand. I might even go after that if someone did that to me.
AnneCordelia 05:25 AM 05-08-2012
Welcome!! I am in the GTA too. Nice to see more ladies from Toronto here!

I would definitely want my money. I would start with a registered letter giving them a deadline to make payment and then take it to the courts. A thousand bucks is a lot of money.
temom 05:32 AM 05-08-2012
thanks for the support guys, it happened in feb and i am still stewing over it
and as for the friend, that is what i was doing for her because i was full would send clients to her. I used to baby sit her kid and noticed that there was something off about the kids behavior, What happened was that she wanted the kid to go to the school my son was going to go because that way my son could look out for her son(both are the same age) and because he went to my DC she could enroll him in my son's school otherwise he would go to his home school, then she lost her job and pulled her son out and i helped her start her own DC, but in school books he still went to my DC. early in the yr they school thought he had autism and sent him for a diagnoses but both the parents are in denial and refused. This yr she asked me again if she could tell the school he still goes to my DC so he could stay in school, i refused because of the fact that this yr two kids from my DC were going to the same school and with her son on the books it would be 6 kids and i could get in some seriously trouble, ( we are allowed only 5) i guess she lashed out due to anger. But i think its still wrong and i have full right to refuse.
What amazes me is that her son is having a really hard time in school, he is a brillant kid but has a very tough time understanding what is expected of him. My son makes sure he gets off the bus each morning because there have been times he kept sitting in the bus and nearly got off at the wrong school, if not for my son this kid could have been lost and after all this she goes around talking bad to my clients and i end up losing them. sigh!! i guess u never know what is going on in someones head.
Michael 01:26 PM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by temom:
Hi Michael, what kinda business if you don't mind me asking?
We will be building out the virtual properties that we own on this site: www.CastelloBrothers.com

We will have offices and R&D located in Toronto and executive offices in the States.
Tags:canada, competition, friends/neighbors/relatives kids - risk, money owed, small claims
Reply Up