Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pink Eye
Country Kids 09:43 AM 04-05-2012
OK, never had this in my childcare but.....there's always a first!

Talked to parent today about something and was mentioned child was/had been on antibiotics-. For what I asked-this was over the phone as I had another question and they called me from work. Child is in my care.

A week ago last Sunday/Monday child had gone to doctors because of having pink eye!!! They hadn't been in my care since the previous Thursday so that was two weeks ago today. I didn't have any kids last week.

How long does the virus last and should I be doing anything more then I already am? I wipe everything down, wash hands, disenfect spray, the works.
Soupyszoo 09:48 AM 04-05-2012
My daughter has this right now. Well technically not pink eye but a really red irritated eye. The doctor said that IF it was pink eye, there's not much you can do to prevent the others from getting it. Even if you sanitize ect... Chances are anyone exposed will get it. It's VERY contagious.

"THANKS DOC!"

But no really good luck! When I found out, I started cleaning and haven't stopped! Anything helps I'm sure
Country Kids 09:54 AM 04-05-2012
Well so far no reports of anyone else having it over the break, so maybe the child became contagious after they were here.

I'm so ready for all sickness, eye issues, any type of illness to be done for the year. Its been a long year (winter actually) for people to be sick.
Crystal 10:00 AM 04-05-2012
You should be fine. 24 hours on antibiotics for it is the exclusion time. I prefer 48 hours. I woldn't worry to much about it, BUT I would monitor for it to return. If the parents didn't do a through cleaning, including washing all of her bedding, lovies, etc. she will likely get it again. I would keep monitoring her, AND wash any bedding, stuffed animals etc. and sanitize toys.
B Lou 10:09 AM 04-05-2012
I have it in my contract that there is to be NO PINK EYE in my daycare. If they even suspect that their child may have pink eye they are not allowed. Have even turned a child away from the door. I have had a cornea transplant and so I refuse to take the chance of my body rejecting it.
bice99 10:31 AM 04-05-2012
Since there is no way to determine if pink eye is viral or bacterial, antibiotics don't always work. So my policy is no symptoms for 24 hours before returning - no redness, watering, light sensitivity, goop, matting.
Blackcat31 10:51 AM 04-05-2012
http://www.hennepin.us/files/Hennepi...0_s6CONJUN.pdf
Reply Up