Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is It Really Colic?
Leigh 09:07 AM 02-09-2016
I have had an infant here for 2 months. She NEVER stops crying. Seriously, she cries at least 80% of the time she is here. Nearly never naps, either. If she does, it's about 20 minutes. She's got a horrible case of eczema, too. I encouraged her parents to try a different formula, because I think she may have a milk allergy (I've seen it plenty of times). They won't. They have her on steroids now, daily, for the eczema, instead.

The dad says she's "colicky", the mom just looks at me apologetically and says "I know, I know". I really wonder if colic is even a real "condition"...I would think a parent would be willing to try something else to try to make their baby comfortable, but they're not willing to try a new formula or try allergy testing (I know not many allergists will test a child this age, but some do).

How do you all deal with babies like this? I have 2 interviews set up to replace her and her sibling, but until then, I really DO need the money. It's not driving me as crazy as it used to (I've termed over this before), but still, I'd like to try to find something to make her happy for at least a short time. Wearing her makes her more insane, BTW.
Blackcat31 09:10 AM 02-09-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I have had an infant here for 2 months. She NEVER stops crying. Seriously, she cries at least 80% of the time she is here. Nearly never naps, either. If she does, it's about 20 minutes. She's got a horrible case of eczema, too. I encouraged her parents to try a different formula, because I think she may have a milk allergy (I've seen it plenty of times). They won't. They have her on steroids now, daily, for the eczema, instead.

The dad says she's "colicky", the mom just looks at me apologetically and says "I know, I know". I really wonder if colic is even a real "condition"...I would think a parent would be willing to try something else to try to make their baby comfortable, but they're not willing to try a new formula or try allergy testing (I know not many allergists will test a child this age, but some do).

How do you all deal with babies like this? I have 2 interviews set up to replace her and her sibling, but until then, I really DO need the money. It's not driving me as crazy as it used to (I've termed over this before), but still, I'd like to try to find something to make her happy for at least a short time. Wearing her makes her more insane, BTW.
Period of PURPLE crying....

It literally opened my eyes to a once "dreaded" infant age/stage. Once I learned more about it, it made it tons easier to deal with.

Unless of course, there are environmental or parental factors added to the situation that lend to the issue.
Ariana 09:44 AM 02-09-2016
I don't believe in colic personally. Not sure about the "purple crying" as this is the first I have heard of it. However according to Dr. Sears 80% of infants are allergic or sensitive to dairy. Eczema is a big red flag for this as this is something my own child developed before I knew she was allergic to dairy. Of course everyone told me all of her symptoms were "normal". Meanwhile things like colic, eczema, cradle cap, infant acne can all be explained through allergies to dairy.

Having said all of that there isn't much you can do. Even if they took their child to the DR or an allergist they won't confirm what you suspect because a) dr's know very little about nutrition and can only treat symptoms and b) Even if they could test for a dairy allergy it will only show up if it's an allergy to casein. Casein allergies present as hives and is usually an anaphylactic allergy. Whey, which is another protein in milk is what my own kids are allergic to. This allergy present as skin rash and eczema, sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes and cradle cap.

The only person that can advise the parents in this is a naturoptahic DR and good luck getting this parent to go to one. most parents think naturopaths are voodoo dr's and they are very expensive. As someone who tried desperately to help a child with a clear dairy sensitivity it can get very frustrating when a parent has no interest in uncovering what is going on. It took a LOT of research on my behalf to uncover what was going on with my first child.

Would you feel comfortable "forcing" the parents to switch formulas for 3 weeks to see? As in "I need something done or I may need to term"?
Leigh 10:40 AM 02-09-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I don't believe in colic personally. Not sure about the "purple crying" as this is the first I have heard of it. However according to Dr. Sears 80% of infants are allergic or sensitive to dairy. Eczema is a big red flag for this as this is something my own child developed before I knew she was allergic to dairy. Of course everyone told me all of her symptoms were "normal". Meanwhile things like colic, eczema, cradle cap, infant acne can all be explained through allergies to dairy.

Having said all of that there isn't much you can do. Even if they took their child to the DR or an allergist they won't confirm what you suspect because a) dr's know very little about nutrition and can only treat symptoms and b) Even if they could test for a dairy allergy it will only show up if it's an allergy to casein. Casein allergies present as hives and is usually an anaphylactic allergy. Whey, which is another protein in milk is what my own kids are allergic to. This allergy present as skin rash and eczema, sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes and cradle cap.

The only person that can advise the parents in this is a naturoptahic DR and good luck getting this parent to go to one. most parents think naturopaths are voodoo dr's and they are very expensive. As someone who tried desperately to help a child with a clear dairy sensitivity it can get very frustrating when a parent has no interest in uncovering what is going on. It took a LOT of research on my behalf to uncover what was going on with my first child.

Would you feel comfortable "forcing" the parents to switch formulas for 3 weeks to see? As in "I need something done or I may need to term"?
I've already begged them to try another, and even gave them a can of soy formula and asked them to give it a try. It didn't happen. I'll be terming anyway, soon, as these two are part time kids, and I'm interviewing for some full time kids to replace them. I hate to see the baby cry and suffer, though, it's just not fair to her. Pediatricians here are so reluctant to advise formula changes, I'm sure that they were advised to stay on the milk formula.
MunchkinWrangler 10:53 AM 02-09-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:

The steroids alone will make her not be able to sleep. I'm sure her eczema hurts so that's probably why she is crying all of the time and wearing her probably hurts her as well. Plus winter brings drier air so that's not helping her condition.
I'm sorry I really don't have any advice, the parents don't care because they're not dealing with it for the bulk of their day. I would probably term as well, just for the fact that nothing you do is helping the situation. It's not your fault but some things are just beyond what we can do at daycare.
Blackcat31 10:58 AM 02-09-2016
As an eczema sufferer myself the VERY first thing my dermatologist suggested I give up was dairy.
Artsandcrafts 11:07 AM 02-09-2016
Eczema is an autoimmune disease. Kids with eczema have higher chances to develop asthma, allergies and ADHD. So, it is not just the skin. It could be because of the eczema he's restless, because it can affect behaviour or because it could be very uncomfortable on the skin if it gets to bad. Steroids are not supposed to be used long term either, they could have side effects and that could be also be affecting the baby.
Artsandcrafts 11:08 AM 02-09-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
As an eczema sufferer myself the VERY first thing my dermatologist suggested I give up was dairy.
My breastfeeding newborn also improved a lot when I stopped eating dairy and grains.
Blackcat31 11:15 AM 02-09-2016
Originally Posted by Artsandcrafts:
Eczema is an autoimmune disease. Kids with eczema have higher chances to develop asthma, allergies and ADHD. So, it is not just the skin. It could be because of the eczema he's restless, because it can affect behaviour or because it could be very uncomfortable on the skin if it gets to bad. Steroids are not supposed to be used long term either, they could have side effects and that could be also be affecting the baby.
Yes! Even the steroid cream I get says USE SPARINGLY and the cream I have is like .001%.

I was always under the assumption that infants shouldn't use steroid cream at all until they're at least 2.

I've got a DCK with eczema but her Dr won't prescribe anything with a steroid until then . (age 2)

Originally Posted by Artsandcrafts:
My breastfeeding newborn also improved a lot when I stopped eating dairy and grains.

Leigh 11:31 AM 02-09-2016
You ladies have it right. WHY can't the pediatricians get it? In my experience, these symptoms are always milk allergy-I haven't seen it yet where a dairy free formula didn't fix it or at least improve it drastically. This is the second parent I've had (one was of a 9 month old who was DIAGNOSED with milk allergy, and the parents still gave the milk based formula because they "liked it better"-that one got termed) that simply refuses to try. And you're right about the steroid creams-they should be used sparingly, and not for more than 2 weeks at a time.
Ariana 12:48 PM 02-09-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It's good to see some parts of the medical community getting this information. I went to a dermatologist for years because of acne and they never ever suggested giving up dairy. It was just drugs drugs drug!
Second Home 12:54 PM 02-09-2016
I remember my brother being diagnosed with colic . He had bouts of intense crying ( but not constant crying). He always pulled his legs in toward his stomach when he has the crying episodes .He was prescribed a small amount of peppermint water to sooth his stomach and it usually worked . Eventually he grew out of it.
Tags:colic
Reply Up