Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Diapers
kpa0627 10:32 AM 04-14-2010
I change diapers on a schedule @ 9, 12,3 and usually right before the child leaves. Obviously if I smell something stinky I change in between too. But is checking/changing diapers every 3 hours (or between if noticed) an adequate amount? This means I change each child at least 4 times a day.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:46 AM 04-14-2010
I dont have a schedule, when they pee, I change, ANY PEE. not just if its full. I had a mom years ago who griped that I changed them too much, I flat told her ,.. well when you decide to pee your pants and then sit on it, Ill do the same for your baby. Until then,.... Ill change them when they are wet.
momma2girls 10:46 AM 04-14-2010
Originally Posted by kpa0627:
I change diapers on a schedule @ 9, 12,3 and usually right before the child leaves. Obviously if I smell something stinky I change in between too. But is checking/changing diapers every 3 hours (or between if noticed) an adequate amount? This means I change each child at least 4 times a day.
I change all children on an average of 4-5 times a day.
GretasLittleFriends 11:24 AM 04-14-2010
Depends on the day, what's going on, and who gets here when. I try to change the diapered ones every 2 hours. I have one mom who wanted me to wait 4 because diapers are expensive. I still change every 2. Sometimes one goes 2.5 or 3 hours between because I try to get them all on the same sched each day. Of course, if I smell something stinky, I'm checking the diapers and changing the appropriate one.
tymaboy 12:16 PM 04-14-2010
I dont really pay attention to how often I change diapers, if I notice they stink or are wet I change them. I tell parents at interviews that I do not like it when kids get rashes so I make sure to change them often. I never had a parent complain that I am going threw too many diapers.
Liliya 12:19 PM 04-14-2010
Originally Posted by kpa0627:
In my state licensing rule says,that child in diaper should be checked every 2 hours.
newtoeverything 12:20 PM 04-14-2010
I dont' keep track either. When they are wet or dirty I change them. None have ever had a rash (accept when they arrive with one on Monday :/)...
SunflowerMama 12:40 PM 04-14-2010
I change them at 9:30a, 12, right after they wake and then before they go home. If they are stinky other times of course I change them then as well.
MarinaVanessa 12:58 PM 04-14-2010
I check every 30-45 minutes and change even if there is just a little bit of pee. I live in CA and here a diaper rash can be considered neglect so I like to be careful. I usually change each full-time child about 6-8 times but I am currently going through an issue with a parent that can't believe that I use her diapers so fast. I got a great suggestion today about adding a clause to my handbook letting parent's know to expect to go through more diapers here than at home. That should fix it, I hope.
AmandasFCC 01:04 PM 04-14-2010
I check regularly and do diapers at 11:30 and 3:30. And, of course, when I smell a funk in the air Most of my diapered kids aren't here til 9am, and they nap from 12:30-3, so I change after we've had snacks and drinks.
misol 01:06 PM 04-14-2010
I also change diapers every 3 hours and then in between as needed. That usually ends up being 4-6 changes depending on how long the child is in care.
jen 01:12 PM 04-14-2010
I just change as needed...so far no problems with rashes or parental complaints!
melissa ann 04:38 PM 04-14-2010
I don't have a schedule. I check when they get here, a little bit after meal/snack time, after naps, when there's a smell and when they get fussy. That ususally means a diaper change is in order.
Mondays the dcb usually has a red tussy and he cries at diaper changes. I always use baby powder (that's it) and if the boy is with me 4-5 days, it clears up. Only to have to start all over again the following monday (or whatever his first day of the week is)
Liliya 05:31 PM 04-14-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I check every 30-45 minutes and change even if there is just a little bit of pee. I live in CA and here a diaper rash can be considered neglect so I like to be careful. I usually change each full-time child about 6-8 times but I am currently going through an issue with a parent that can't believe that I use her diapers so fast. I got a great suggestion today about adding a clause to my handbook letting parent's know to expect to go through more diapers here than at home. That should fix it, I hope.
How many kids you have in diapers? checking every 30-45 minutes seems very often. If you follow 10 steps -diaper change procedure.
You will be changing diapers none stop,all day long.
I have only two in diapers out of 7 kids.
hawkfan428 05:40 PM 04-14-2010
In Illinois we have to change diapers ever 2 hours
Unregistered 05:42 PM 04-14-2010
I do a schedule, but I get off of it if I notice one has a wet diaper, or a stinky one lol. Most children get here around 8:15, so I change them again at 10:30 (unless they need one sooner, like those who arrive around 6:30 or 7 they'll get changed again by 9), then again right before laying them down for nap (around 12:45) and again when they wake up around 3:15. One little girl in particular seems to wet a LOT, so I change her again, if needed, before her mom arrives at 5:00. So I try to stick to: 9:00, 10:45, 12:45, 3:15, and sometimes again at 5. Sometimes I have 7 children in diapers, depending on the day of the week, so it's hard to stick to a schedule with that many. By the time I change one child who has a stinky, someone else now has one, or is already really wet. By the time they're changed it's time for everyone else's diaper change, but the 1st one who had the stinky is now clean and dry and doesn't need one yet, but 30 minutes after everyone ELSE is finally all changed, they're wet enough that their diaper feels squishy, so on the cycle goes...
Former Teacher 07:20 PM 04-14-2010
I use to tell parents that I change every 2 hours or as needed. The only difference is after nap or when a baby has been sleeping awhile. Then I change right away.

I once had a parent who didn't want me to change her daughter right after sleeping for a few hours because she would always have a BM after waking up. She asked me to wait until I fed her and then change her. I never did. I still always changed her because it is a pet peeve of mine lol

We use to tell the parents at the daycare that the "average" usage is 5 a day. But it depended on the child.
TGT09 05:10 AM 04-15-2010
I too don't change on a schedule. I would say I check at LEAST every 2 hours unless I smell something.

A few of my kids get rashes fairly easy so I make sure that I change them as frequently as my day allows.
kdparadise 06:10 AM 04-15-2010
Every 2 hours for & if fussy I go through the basic list: need a diaper change?, hungry?, need to be held?, teething?
originalkat 08:12 AM 04-15-2010
When I had kids in diapers I changed them about on your schedule. I didnt change them every time they pottied. I think that is rediculous and VERY expensive. Going potty in a diaper isnt the same as going potty in your pants! Of course poops were changed immedietly.
momofsix 10:58 AM 04-15-2010
I change infants every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Once they're older (about a year) and don't wet as often it's more like before morning snack, after lunch, after nap and before they go home--which works out to about every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. I had a mom complain that I changed her baby too much too--i couldn't believe it, of all the things to complain about!
MarinaVanessa 09:26 AM 04-20-2010
Originally Posted by Liliya:
How many kids you have in diapers? checking every 30-45 minutes seems very often. If you follow 10 steps -diaper change procedure.
You will be changing diapers none stop,all day long.
I have only two in diapers out of 7 kids.
Tell me about it ... I was used to my daughter being very sensitive to urine and if I didn't change her right away she would get diaper rash. That and living in CA makes it harder for me in daycare because in CA a diaper rash is enough to have CPS knocking at your door so I'm a little paranoid of a child getting diaper rash. I talked to all of the parents and we agreed that checking every two hours will be fine. I have three kids in diapers; two infants and a three year old (yes I know, three years old, but the parents aren't really helping out with potty training and my method is that it's a partnership and I will only help with potty training if parents do it too). I don't mind changing the 3 year-old's diapers and obviously they don't mind paying for them
Tags:diaper
Reply Up