Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sensory Issue Almost 4 Year Old....Help Please
SunflowerMama 05:52 PM 02-07-2011
I knew this would be the place to go for help.

A friend of mine has twins the same age as mine (4 in a few weeks) and their school is concerned about one of the boys and wants my friend to have him evaluated for possible sensory issues.

These are things he does that are concerning his teachers. Does anyone have experience with this? Any advice? I told her I would post on here because so many of you have been doing this for years and years so I'm sure have experience with some of these behaviors and what they may mean.

Only colors in Red
Lines up his crayons
Colors very hard
Squeezes things/people really hard (doesn't know he's sometimes hurting people)
Not potty trained yet (undies mostly at home but school is requiring him to be in pull ups b/c of accidents)
Not writing yet (his twin has been writing his name and other words for over a year)
Very interested in wires
Easily frustrated and gets extrememly mad/angry

Any advice or experience you guys have I'm sure she would greatly appreciate. Thanks so much!!
lvt77 06:17 PM 02-07-2011
hmm this sounds a lot like my son, who is just spolied...

but my son is potty trained....age 3.4
Michael 06:20 PM 02-07-2011
I am wondering how his speech and comprehension are. Are they age appropriate?
juliebug 06:29 PM 02-07-2011
i would look here

http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/index.html
Mrs.Ky 04:24 AM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
I knew this would be the place to go for help.

A friend of mine has twins the same age as mine (4 in a few weeks) and their school is concerned about one of the boys and wants my friend to have him evaluated for possible sensory issues.

These are things he does that are concerning his teachers. Does anyone have experience with this? Any advice? I told her I would post on here because so many of you have been doing this for years and years so I'm sure have experience with some of these behaviors and what they may mean.

Only colors in Red
Lines up his crayons
Colors very hard
Squeezes things/people really hard (doesn't know he's sometimes hurting people)
Not potty trained yet (undies mostly at home but school is requiring him to be in pull ups b/c of accidents)
Not writing yet (his twin has been writing his name and other words for over a year)
Very interested in wires
Easily frustrated and gets extrememly mad/angry

Any advice or experience you guys have I'm sure she would greatly appreciate. Thanks so much!!
How was he as an infant?

I had a boy in daycare who was SPD as an infant he cried alot and threw lots of fits he would bang his head so hard like it didnt even hurt, he was very picky about tuxtures of baby foods, he would only drink out of one certain cup, he wasnt talking at all as an infant or at the age of 1, he didnt crawl or sit up till 11 months he didnt walk till 20 months old, etc.. Im still friends with the parents and he is 3 now the symptoms he shows now are, he isnt potty trained still, he chews on things such as mini blinds, he will go into this episode where he will take a paper towel and just sit and rub it rub it and look at it he gets this stare on his face when he is doing it it just doest seem like what a normal 3 year old would do, he also talks like a 1 year old instead of a 3 year old, he still goes into those rage fits where he bangs his head really hard.
countrymom 05:28 AM 02-08-2011
hmmm, some of it sounds normal, I have 5 yr olds who line things up and either color way too hard or so light they barely press down. As for writing their names, boys (I can say this because I have 3 girls and 1 boy) are behind than girls. Maybe they need to find another way of teaching him to write his name. I would get him assessed because if its free, take it, it doesn't hurt anyone. And if there is a problem then its better to start fixing the problem now rather than waiting till his 10 yrs old.
Tags:autism, behavior problems, developmentally delayed
Reply Up