Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>14 Month Old/Hair Pulling
Maddy'sMommy 04:42 PM 10-13-2011
Any advice on how to get a 14 month old to stop pulling other kid's hair?

I shadow her through out the day to catch her before she gets does it, but it doesn't seem to be curbing the behaviour.

it seems to happen most when she is frustrated, a tug-of-war with a toy, etc. I say "We don't pull our friend's hair. That hurts", I've tried having her sit next to me after instead of playing, or putting her in her playpen, but I don't think it's working.

Any ideas?
cheerfuldom 06:06 AM 10-14-2011
I would separate her permanently till this phase is past and she can play nicely with others. Gate off her own small area and she plays in there unless she comes out and you can be right with her. sorry, thats a tough spot but the only answer I have found for it.
Heidi 06:09 AM 10-14-2011
lol...I have 14 month old twin boys here! I also have a 20 month old with a beautiful head of wild crazy curls just waiting to be yanked.

Divide and conquer is all I've got!
Meyou 06:14 AM 10-14-2011
I vote for seperate too. Give her a few weeks and the try her with shadowing in a group setting. She'll figure it out.
nannyde 06:38 AM 10-14-2011
Separate out with a play yard.

When she is out mixed in with the kids put a mitted sweatshirt or mitted shirt on her. Most likely she will need a sweatshirt version. She will be able to tool around and play but she won't be able to do any hair pulling. She just needs TIME to learn to expel her energy doing something ELSE.

She won't need the shirt for the play yard, the walks, the meals... just in free play. The only thing she wouldn't be able to do is climbing or pulling up where she needs a frim grasp for safety.
Heidi 07:57 AM 10-14-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Separate out with a play yard.

When she is out mixed in with the kids put a mitted sweatshirt or mitted shirt on her. Most likely she will need a sweatshirt version. She will be able to tool around and play but she won't be able to do any hair pulling. She just needs TIME to learn to expel her energy doing something ELSE.

She won't need the shirt for the play yard, the walks, the meals... just in free play. The only thing she wouldn't be able to do is climbing or pulling up where she needs a frim grasp for safety.
Awesome idea! Where do I get one? This might be great for my twins. Mom has to keep them in excersaucers at home because of this. They are just learning to walk, it's really not ideal.\
Maddy'sMommy 09:03 AM 10-14-2011
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I have a play yard that I am bringing inside for the winter, so I will use that to separate her out from the other boys and girls for a bit.

I've never seen a mitted sweatshirt, but I imagine I can fashion one for her.

She really is a nice kid, so I think that makes sense, she doesn't know how else to show frustration. I've been spoiled with my daughter so far I think, she is about the same age, but hasn't started anything like that.
nannyde 09:07 AM 10-14-2011
Originally Posted by bbo:
Awesome idea! Where do I get one? This might be great for my twins. Mom has to keep them in excersaucers at home because of this. They are just learning to walk, it's really not ideal.\
Easy to make your own. Just search my name and mitted and you will see my links to the ones I have on my website.
Maddy'sMommy 09:11 AM 10-14-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Easy to make your own. Just search my name and mitted and you will see my links to the ones I have on my website.
Thanks very much!
Reply Up