Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anybody That Is Licensed And Has Three Or More Young Kids Of Their Own At Home?
cheerfuldom 07:40 PM 05-03-2012
I am considering getting licensed. However, I am concerned about how capable I will be with my own four kids at home (the oldest will be in three day preK in the fall) plus daycare kids. Right now I have three of my own kids (and pregnant with the fourth) plus two daycare kids. That number is very smooth and easy for me. I can do another daycare kid with minimal issues but it seems like anytime I take that 7th kid, it is too much for me (tried it in the past). I would have to take 7 or 8 kids, at least for awhile, in order to pay for some changes that will need to be made in my basement in order to be licensed. Do you think I am getting in over my head here? It is VERY hard to find kids right now and I feel that because I am not licensed (I am legal), that I am not competitive enough for the families that I want to attract. There is numerous SAHMs starting up with one or two kids, I see new daycare type ads daily on CL and many post names or numbers so I know when it is repeated ads or not. Its either you take one or two and do a very casual day/routine/program, or you get licensed and take 8 to 12 and be seen as an official daycare. Right now I am in between and I really dont think my own number of kids is a good thing when attracting families so that is another strike against me (not that I can do anything about it anyway).

All this to say, are there moms with many kids that still make daycare work? Should I just keep everything small until my kids are in school? I'd really like to be able to pay off some bills and we are sending my kids to private school for now so there is also that big bill to consider. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place!
Kiki 08:00 PM 05-03-2012
I'm not licensed yet, but I have 3 of my own, my youngest niece, and the 4 day care kids that I'm allowed to have without a license. In the summer I have my oldest niece as well. It really doesn't seem that bad for me, but my kids help me out a lot!
But-I hear the tough part, I started out really small, I only had one child up until about 5 months ago, and just slowly added kids one by one. I felt pretty frazzeled at first, but I have the hang of it now. (At least I pretend to!) Maybe start with just one, get comfortable, bring on a part time, get used to that, and mix in a full time?
itlw8 08:13 PM 05-03-2012
If you think you may be overwhelmed I would wait to expand until after the baby is born and you have your routine settled in.

If expanding is your goal start now doing one thing at a time on that list of things you would need to get licensed. Then when you feel ready then part of those things will be done.
cheerfuldom 05:52 AM 05-04-2012
Originally Posted by Kiki:
I'm not licensed yet, but I have 3 of my own, my youngest niece, and the 4 day care kids that I'm allowed to have without a license. In the summer I have my oldest niece as well. It really doesn't seem that bad for me, but my kids help me out a lot!
But-I hear the tough part, I started out really small, I only had one child up until about 5 months ago, and just slowly added kids one by one. I felt pretty frazzeled at first, but I have the hang of it now. (At least I pretend to!) Maybe start with just one, get comfortable, bring on a part time, get used to that, and mix in a full time?

I have all my kids at home right now and I wouldnt necessarily call them helpful, they are four and under. the oldest helps but the others are just babies.

As for adding more, the issue is that I cant seem to add anyone right now because being unlicensed, I am not attractive to some families, and already having my kids and daycare kids (5 plus another on the way), I cannot provide the attention and flexibility of a SAHM/babysitter.
cheerfuldom 05:53 AM 05-04-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
If you think you may be overwhelmed I would wait to expand until after the baby is born and you have your routine settled in.

If expanding is your goal start now doing one thing at a time on that list of things you would need to get licensed. Then when you feel ready then part of those things will be done.
thanks for your thoughts. I am going to start the licensing process but the few things I have do to make it work require money, that I dont have unless I take more daycare kids.
Meeko 06:01 AM 05-04-2012
Start slow...you will get used to it. Add kids as you get your routines down.

I usually have 16 (with help of course) but if I only have 8 and my assistant has the day off...I feel like I hardly have anyone here! Yet there was a time when having 8 kids by myself would have made me a train wreck! Now I think "only" 8 is a very low number. It's just what you get used to.
Kiki 06:16 AM 05-04-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I have all my kids at home right now and I wouldnt necessarily call them helpful, they are four and under. the oldest helps but the others are just babies.

As for adding more, the issue is that I cant seem to add anyone right now because being unlicensed, I am not attractive to some families, and already having my kids and daycare kids (5 plus another on the way), I cannot provide the attention and flexibility of a SAHM/babysitter.
Haha ok-that's a big difference then. I have 8, 5, 3, so it's a little more help.

And I agree with Meeko-just start slow, once you've added so many in, it wont seem as bad. Eventually you just get used to it, and it's not as hard as it used to be.
MMk9987 07:04 PM 05-04-2012
I am taking classes right now to become licensed to in home child care i have my frist test for infant and toddlers on may 9th a little nervous also will be taking on a dcb my mom was sitting for since he was 2 months old long story short when he was 8 months old his mom lost her job so she pulled him out of care well now she has found a job and she has just been letting random people who live in her apartment building watch him since her job is less then two miles away and we live well 20 mins from her. my mom decided she would go ahead and him for two days well he is a completely changed kid he cries like non stop he wont let you put him down. I am not sure what happen over the course of four months but I am hoping that with me taking him on I can make him back into the sweet little T we all know and love. he just turned 1
themoorethemerrier 09:38 AM 05-05-2012
Oh, I definitely agree - take it slow. Keep the number of kids that you're comfortable with and kids that you're comfortable with until after you have the baby and get settled in. Then add on as your kids start going to school until you're ready or need to get licensed.

I've got a 7, 6, 5 and nearly 3 yo. It wasn't pretty here when I had rowdy toddlers and a newborn. Personally, my hormones didn't adjust until my youngest was 2. Until then, I seriously questioned what on earth I was doing taking on more kids!

This is one of those if "I knew then what I knew now" or "if I had listened to the good advice" situations for me. I was advised to make a list of EVERYTHING that you could possibly think of that would need to be done, things that you'll need, etc and price them out. Do some one at a time and save up for the big projects. We did get a loan for an addition and for a major foundation problem that we had, so we prepped for that well in advance by creating a budget that we knew we could handle.

Anyway, congrats on your pregnancy!!!
cheerfuldom 10:40 AM 05-05-2012
Originally Posted by MMk9987:
I am taking classes right now to become licensed to in home child care i have my frist test for infant and toddlers on may 9th a little nervous also will be taking on a dcb my mom was sitting for since he was 2 months old long story short when he was 8 months old his mom lost her job so she pulled him out of care well now she has found a job and she has just been letting random people who live in her apartment building watch him since her job is less then two miles away and we live well 20 mins from her. my mom decided she would go ahead and him for two days well he is a completely changed kid he cries like non stop he wont let you put him down. I am not sure what happen over the course of four months but I am hoping that with me taking him on I can make him back into the sweet little T we all know and love. he just turned 1
good luck with this little one! the transition could be a tough one with all these random people around him, sounds really stressful but I bet he will chill out after a few weeks.
cheerfuldom 10:41 AM 05-05-2012
Originally Posted by themoorethemerrier:
Oh, I definitely agree - take it slow. Keep the number of kids that you're comfortable with and kids that you're comfortable with until after you have the baby and get settled in. Then add on as your kids start going to school until you're ready or need to get licensed.

I've got a 7, 6, 5 and nearly 3 yo. It wasn't pretty here when I had rowdy toddlers and a newborn. Personally, my hormones didn't adjust until my youngest was 2. Until then, I seriously questioned what on earth I was doing taking on more kids!

This is one of those if "I knew then what I knew now" or "if I had listened to the good advice" situations for me. I was advised to make a list of EVERYTHING that you could possibly think of that would need to be done, things that you'll need, etc and price them out. Do some one at a time and save up for the big projects. We did get a loan for an addition and for a major foundation problem that we had, so we prepped for that well in advance by creating a budget that we knew we could handle.

Anyway, congrats on your pregnancy!!!
thank you! Its nice to know there are a few that have made it work! I am hoping to receive a grant and that would be a huge blessing. wish me luck!
MMk9987 08:45 PM 09-18-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
good luck with this little one! the transition could be a tough one with all these random people around him, sounds really stressful but I bet he will chill out after a few weeks.

Thanks it actually did not work out with the dcb mom she ended up moving to a town about an hour out of where i live to be closer to her family so she is in the country now. I am just finishing up the testing to become licensed it just seems never ending I did however answer an ad on cl about a possible daycare child it is a girl she just turned 1 so hoping it all works out for the best.
Reply Up