Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm not ready for the blue eyed son to go back to school
nannyde 08:25 AM 08-11-2014
Ugh this summer went by so fast. School starts next week in Podunk North Jesus. They get a head start in mid August because they have so many snow days. He didn't get out of school until June 6 so it was a short 10 weeks off.

This was the first summer of his life that I was off work. I haven't worked since mid April. We moved into a new house two hours away from Des Moines in the end of April. Since the move he has had our home and his Mama to himself. It's been the best months of being a mom since he was born.

I'm in the depths of despair sending him off to school so soon. He went to football practice at 6:30 am this morning so the new gig has already started.

These kids grow up way way too fast. In four years he will be off to college. He thinks he is going to live here forever but after forcing him to watch every Dr Phil "mooching children" show, he knows I'm not down for a 30 year old basement dweller who has 27 jobs on his resume.

Wish I could homeschool him but he needs kids. Being an only child who is homeschooled by a single mom isn't going to fare well for his future. It's just tough to see this little chapter of our lives coming to an end. I'm just in a wicked funk that I can't seem to shake.
midaycare 08:29 AM 08-11-2014

Blackcat31 08:30 AM 08-11-2014
It's all good Mama... you made the decisions you did for a reason and you are giving him EXACTLY that.

It's always tougher on us than it is on them but you did good and like I said before, once he has entered "adulthood" he will look back on this summer and the ones still yet to come with all the fond memories (and then some) that you wished for him.

Even though it makes sense in your head...it rarely makes sense in your mom-heart.

So lots of these are necessary for every new chapter of parenting that comes our way.... :

SUPER glad your (and blue-eyed son's) summer has been so awesome!!!!
Cat Herder 08:32 AM 08-11-2014
I am there with you, Nan. Mine drove themselves to school in their own cars, they had part-time jobs all summer..... and the house will be completely empty (whiny dramatic effect intended, yes DH and I will still be here ) in 3 years.

Let the Pity Party commence.
Meeko 09:39 AM 08-11-2014
Aww...Nan.....they grow up waaay too fast don't they?

Try and focus on the fact you did have these few weeks to yourselves. He will remember them always.

My youngest goes back to high school next week. She will be a senior this year. I remember KG like it was yesterday.

I have had at least one child in school since 1988. I am not sure what to do after 26 straight years of school supplies, homework etc!

My 19 year old is leaving in 6 weeks time. She will be gone for 18 months on a church mission. I'm so proud of her I could burst and dreading the day she leaves at the same time.

These kiddos really do have our hearts tied up don't they?!

melilley 10:49 AM 08-11-2014
Awwwww
I get like this every school year, well except for this year, I'll bashfully admit. DD is full force into her preteen phase and has been driving me nuts, but before this year, I just about came to tears at the end of every summer. But then we get into the school year routines and everything seems back to normal.

You're lucky to have been able to have the whole summer off with him and to be able to make those memories!
Janiam 02:14 PM 08-12-2014
I feel ya. I can only imagine after having a summer off that it's that much harder to get back in the groove. Doing DC we get so little exclusive time with our just our kids but I think they cherish it as much as we do. Good luck to you and your DS in your new home and school!
nannyde 02:25 PM 08-12-2014
Originally Posted by Janiam:
I feel ya. I can only imagine after having a summer off that it's that much harder to get back in the groove. Doing DC we get so little exclusive time with our just our kids but I think they cherish it as much as we do. Good luck to you and your DS in your new home and school!
He's excited which chaps my hide. I think he's over mommy and me time.

I think it's a combination of moving, time off, and the fact he sprung up to six feet in a few months. All the baby is gone.

He's out all the time too. Living in a small town males it easier to let him have freedom and the green space is huge here. He has a whole nutter life goin on that doesn't include his mama. He needs home cooked meals and his fave shorts washed the second he takes themoff. . And $ of course but he doesn't need much else.

It sucks and I'm over it!
sharlan 04:49 PM 08-12-2014
I know what you mean. My grandkids go back to school on Monday, no snow days here.

For all intents and purposes, my summer is over as they have last minute doctor's and dentist appts.

I live for my summers.
Tags:teens, whining
Reply Up