Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare in Basement
JessB 08:13 AM 05-18-2011
Hello all,

I'm in the process of setting up my house for daycare and becoming licensed. I'm fortunate to live in a house with a basement that has a full kitchen, bathroom, and two large rooms. I'm so excited to get everything set up and ready for kids.

Does anyone do daycare solely out of their basement? I'm concerned that parents may think it's too dark. There are large egress windows and a few other small windows but it's definitely darker than our main floor.

Any tips to brighten things up?

Thanks!
PitterPatter 08:21 AM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by JessB:
Hello all,

I'm in the process of setting up my house for daycare and becoming licensed. I'm fortunate to live in a house with a basement that has a full kitchen, bathroom, and two large rooms. I'm so excited to get everything set up and ready for kids.

Does anyone do daycare solely out of their basement? I'm concerned that parents may think it's too dark. There are large egress windows and a few other small windows but it's definitely darker than our main floor.

Any tips to brighten things up?

Thanks!
The wall mounted child mirrors maybe and some overhead lighting is all I can think of. Good luck!
melskids 08:23 AM 05-18-2011
light colored paint too!
Live and Learn 08:28 AM 05-18-2011
Yellow paint, as much natural light as possible....don't use window treatments that cover any part of the window. Bright light bulbs.
mrsp'slilpeeps 08:31 AM 05-18-2011
I run my dayhome out of my basement. It's framed,insulated,polywraped but no drywall, and 2 small windows. So i have to keep some lights on. Some parents didnt like that and didnt hire me, but the kids i have dont care what my walls look like, they just want to play and have fun, and as long as they are happy, healthy, safe and fed, who cares where your dayhome is run. Now that spring is here we alternate from outside to downstairs. I wish i had a kitchen and a loo in my basement!!! You will find the right kids and parents who dont care about the material stuff just as long as they are happy with you! Good luck.
wdmmom 08:41 AM 05-18-2011
Florescent light bulbs, plenty of lighting, light colored walls, and light carpet. Hang bright colored posters with colors, shapes, days of the week, months of the year, etc.
PitterPatter 08:56 AM 05-18-2011
I don't want to threadjack here but this brings up a question I have.

I have a full basement but it's all cement, walls and floor, and I don't think I can run a dayacre down there because it's kinda damp. I wory if I were to install rugs and such they would just be ruined. So how do those of u with basement daycares keep the dampness out?
Meeko 08:57 AM 05-18-2011
Just add as much light as you can and mirrors are wonderful. Place a mirror opposite a light or window for added illumination. Keep colors very bright and cheery to add to a bright feeling. Stay away from browns, navy blue etc.

For window coverings, put valances up high so that they do not cover the window. No drapes necessary as nobody lives down there. Use a roller shade or something similar for your nap area. If you like the LOOK of curtains....hang them on the WALL beside the window. It will give the illusion of a bigger window.

You can also trick the eye into thinking a room is lighter by adding a fake window. Place an old window frame on the wall with a nature photo or poster behind it. Add drapes to the side. It give just gives the "feel" of a room with windows. You can also find wallpaper artwork that look like open windows when pasted on the wall. I have seen ones that "open" onto sea scapes or forests etc. Very pretty.
wdmmom 08:59 AM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:

I have a full basement but it's all cement, walls and floor, and I don't think I can run a dayacre down there because it's kinda damp. I wory if I were to install rugs and such they would just be ruined. So how do those of u with basement daycares keep the dampness out?
My basement is completely finished. I've never had a problem with wetness/dampness.

Depending on how bad yours is, you might want to consider in investing in a few dehumidifiers. Is the concrete floor sealed? Consider calling a contractor and having them assess your basement to determine if there's anything they can do to alleviate it. New windows, sealant, etc.
Meeko 09:06 AM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
Just add as much light as you can and mirrors are wonderful. Place a mirror opposite a light or window for added illumination. Keep colors very bright and cheery to add to a bright feeling. Stay away from browns, navy blue etc.

For window coverings, put valances up high so that they do not cover the window. No drapes necessary as nobody lives down there. Use a roller shade or something similar for your nap area. If you like the LOOK of curtains....hang them on the WALL beside the window. It will give the illusion of a bigger window.

You can also trick the eye into thinking a room is lighter by adding a fake window. Place an old window frame on the wall with a nature photo or poster behind it. Add drapes to the side. It give just gives the "feel" of a room with windows. You can also find wallpaper artwork that look like open windows when pasted on the wall. I have seen ones that "open" onto sea scapes or forests etc. Very pretty.
See attached pics of FAKE windows.
Attached: fake.jpg (45.4 KB) fake window.jpg (57.0 KB) 
morgan24 09:11 AM 05-18-2011
I do it in the basement too. It's a big room, we put in lots of canned lights and painted it a light color, the carpet is a light beige and one half has the little tikes blue mats on it. We have one window and a sliding glass door, so we have to have some lights on most of the time. It's nice to have daycare in its own space and being able to close the door at the end of the day and go upstairs.
Meeko 09:18 AM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:

My day care doesn't have a basement....but my home does. We converted our sunken driveway garage into a family room. We put this stuff on the concrete walls and our basement is wonderful. You just paint it on the walls! You can get it at any home improvement store.

ATEX BASE DRYLOKŪ MASONRY WATERPROOFER
Latex Base DRYLOKŪ Masonry Waterproofer is a low odor, water clean-up formula for waterproofing all interior, exterior, above or below grade masonry walls, cinder and concrete blocks, stucco, brick, retaining walls, basements, and foundation. No pre-mixing or pre-wetting necessary.

Ready mixed - Low-odor Formula
Withstands 10 pounds of hydrostatic pressure, greater than a wall of water 22 feet high
Breathable film - does not trap moisture in masonry
10-year Warranty
Clean up with soap and water
Applies easily with brush and/or roller
Complies with all current VOC and/or VOS
Tintable - available in these ready-mixed colors:
JessB 09:50 AM 05-18-2011
I love this idea; thanks so much for sharing!
JessB 09:51 AM 05-18-2011
Thank you to everyone for the great ideas! I'm definitely going to invest in some mirrors and different types of lighting.
JenNJ 10:28 AM 05-18-2011
I was also going to suggest faux windows. I also have friend whose playroom is in the basement. She painted the ceiling with a blue sky and clouds to open it up. It looks beautiful and really keeps things airy and fresh.
PitterPatter 10:31 AM 05-18-2011
My day care doesn't have a basement....but my home does. We converted our sunken driveway garage into a family room. We put this stuff on the concrete walls and our basement is wonderful. You just paint it on the walls! You can get it at any home improvement store.

ATEX BASE DRYLOKŪ MASONRY WATERPROOFER
Latex Base DRYLOKŪ Masonry Waterproofer is a low odor, water clean-up formula for waterproofing all interior, exterior, above or below grade masonry walls, cinder and concrete blocks, stucco, brick, retaining walls, basements, and foundation. No pre-mixing or pre-wetting necessary.

Ready mixed - Low-odor Formula
Withstands 10 pounds of hydrostatic pressure, greater than a wall of water 22 feet high
Breathable film - does not trap moisture in masonry
10-year Warranty
Clean up with soap and water
Applies easily with brush and/or roller
Complies with all current VOC and/or VOS
Tintable - available in these ready-mixed colors:
Thank u!!! I will check this stuff out see if I can do it!
momofsix 10:39 AM 05-18-2011
I am also in the basement. We had our basement completely waterproofed before I started, b/c we had a ton of leaking-especially with heavy rain. I also run a dehumidifier in the warmer months and I buy Damp Rid and hang up 3-4 bags throughout the whole basement. It helps with the damp smell. Here's a liink for it from amazon, but it's way cheaper at the store!

http://www.amazon.com/DampRid-Hangin...5740431&sr=8-4
Meeko 10:44 AM 05-18-2011
I have a tiny bathroom next to my kitchen. It has no windows at all. I put this pastable mural on the wall. (My home has a cabin feel and a log wall and fireplace in my kitchen) It's amazing how it makes the bathroom feel bigger and more open.
Attached: bathroom mural.JPG (27.8 KB) 
Unregistered 10:59 AM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by awpotter:
I run my dayhome out of my basement. It's framed,insulated,polywraped but no drywall, and 2 small windows. So i have to keep some lights on. Some parents didnt like that and didnt hire me, but the kids i have dont care what my walls look like, they just want to play and have fun, and as long as they are happy, healthy, safe and fed, who cares where your dayhome is run. Now that spring is here we alternate from outside to downstairs. I wish i had a kitchen and a loo in my basement!!! You will find the right kids and parents who dont care about the material stuff just as long as they are happy with you! Good luck.
Where are you located? I have small windows too, so I only have one exit. Would love it have it in my basement and get licensed. Any advice would be great. I would have a prefect day care if I could do this. I'm in il
Blackcat31 12:12 PM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Where are you located? I have small windows too, so I only have one exit. Would love it have it in my basement and get licensed. Any advice would be great. I would have a prefect day care if I could do this. I'm in il
Licensing requirements in my state require two exits from every room. Egress windows are required and must be a specific number of inches wide and high and from the floor. I suggest checking with the licensing department in the state you are in. If you do not know where to find that information, post which state you are in and I am sure someone on here will be able to lead you to the link or site you need.
mrsp'slilpeeps 01:17 PM 05-18-2011
I live in Canada. My dayhome is privatly run as i dont need to be accredited. My windows are big enough for my hubby to crawl out of and they are at ground level, so I know that in an emergency ,I can get the kids out and myself.

Until my basement is complete, i get the kids to paint pictures and i tape them up to cover the polty wrap! carpet ends cover my floors and thats about it. Lots of toys and stuff to do, so the kids dont mind.
Michael 04:48 PM 05-18-2011
Brilliant!
Childminder 05:51 PM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by :
Licensing requirements in my state require two exits from every room. Egress windows are required and must be a specific number of inches wide and high and from the floor. I suggest checking with the licensing department in the state you are in. If you do not know where to find that information, post which state you are in and I am sure someone on here will be able to lead you to the link or site you need.
Egress is a required size for a firefighter to be able to enter WITH his air tank on. The measurements should indeed be in your licensing regulations or go to your local building dept for the information.
Tags:basement
Reply Up