Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nature exploration with SA
themoorethemerrier 07:21 AM 03-16-2012
We've already got the farm-to-fork program, but for the older SA we're creating a nature exploration program.

We have all our survival books, nature guides, compasses and walkie talkies for outdoor exploration, but I'm trying to pull together the indoor activities for our rainy days...

So far, all I have is a weather station and some nature crafts... Any recommendations for games, books and other activities?
MrsB 07:36 AM 03-16-2012
A couple ideas off the top of my head

puting together survival packs
making an outdoor meal like fire stew - basically just a piece of foil, with whatever they would like in it offer things like carrots, baby potatoes, green peppers, mushrooms, olives, green beans, pieces kilbasa sausage, little smokies, ham pieces, etc

They put them all inside the foil and wrap it up and then put it in the oven (or fire if you were out in the woods)

I am sure more will come to mind.
cheerfuldom 08:13 AM 03-16-2012
what about fort kits? could work indoor or out

http://designdazzle.blogspot.com/201...lding-kit.html

http://megandandymade.blogspot.com/2...-fort-kit.html
themoorethemerrier 08:29 AM 03-16-2012
We do have a cast iron dutch oven and mountain pie makers that our family uses all summer, but I am a little wary having actual fires. (Anyone have camp fires with your dck?)

Ooooo... I like the fort kit... They're already always making forts in my house, might as well pack it up for an adventure. Nice. Thanks.
cheerfuldom 08:33 AM 03-16-2012
yay! glad I helped. if you are into dyi, you can also consider teepees....they are very simple to make and you can do the ones that fold up
MrsB 09:07 AM 03-16-2012
Originally Posted by themoorethemerrier:
We do have a cast iron dutch oven and mountain pie makers that our family uses all summer, but I am a little wary having actual fires. (Anyone have camp fires with your dck?)

Ooooo... I like the fort kit... They're already always making forts in my house, might as well pack it up for an adventure. Nice. Thanks.
I've never done fires here either not sure I would want to. I am sure there is probably some reg that says I can't. You could just bake them in your oven though.
themoorethemerrier 09:23 AM 03-16-2012
I missed the part where you said oven, all I saw was fire. I can definitely do camp fire meals. We already do quite a few garden meals (they harvest and help prepare) so that would be a great addition to our hands-on learning. Thanks!
Reply Up