Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Answer/Return Calls During Daycare Hours?
permanentvacation 12:22 PM 06-09-2016
Another question regarding phone calls...

Do you answer and/or return daycare calls during daycare hours? And do you first let your answering machine take the calls so you can screen them before calling them back?

I am considering not answering daycare calls (other than from my current parents) during daycare hours simply so it doesn't sound so crazy here when I first speak to them. We all know that the minute we get on the phone, all h** breaks lose with the kids. All of the sudden, a baby is starving to death and screaming at the top of their lungs or an older child starts yelling at another child.

Recently, I've been so worried about getting more income that I run to answer the phone, but I have started wondering if it might be better to wait until everyone has gone home so I can call them back in the evening when I know the house will be quite so it doesn't sound like a zoo in here!
childcaremom 12:31 PM 06-09-2016
I don't. But I don't advertise my phone number, either. I have email as my first contact method.

Dcps have my phone and cell number once they are enrolled but they all know that I won't answer. If they need me (emergency), I have told them to either text or repeat calling so that I know I need to get the phone.

I am usually too busy or can't find the phone.
Blackcat31 12:40 PM 06-09-2016
I do all business during business hours only.

I teach my DC kids that when the phone rings or an adult comes over they are to behave as they would if I were sitting right there with them. If they do not, there is a consequence when I am done on the phone or done talking to the adult that were present.

This is something we practice on a regular basis since my licensor does stop by as well as my QRIS coach, food program rep and other various adults involved in my program.

I also conduct interviews for potential families during business hours as well.
Thriftylady 12:44 PM 06-09-2016
If the phone rings, I answer it. For several reasons. With hubby being on the road all the time, if he calls I am going to answer. Daycare calls usually come with a number I don't recognize, but sometimes parents do also, so I answer those as well.
NillaWafers 12:49 PM 06-09-2016
I let the answering machine take all calls and if I get a break during nap I will call back.
AmyKidsCo 12:51 PM 06-09-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I teach my DC kids that when the phone rings or an adult comes over they are to behave as they would if I were sitting right there with them. If they do not, there is a consequence when I am done on the phone or done talking to the adult that were present.

This is something we practice on a regular basis since my licensor does stop by as well as my QRIS coach, food program rep and other various adults involved in my program.

Same here, except I prefer to to interviews after hours so I can concentrate 100% on the interview.

I do screen my calls and if it's not a good time to pick up I don't.
Snowmom 12:56 PM 06-09-2016
I let voicemail pick it up and return calls at nap time. Never after hours or weekends.

I should mention though, that in my area, infant spots are really hard to find and I get calls daily for those (serious baby boom here!). Since I don't enroll "new family infants", there's no point in answering the phone anyway.
Crazy8 02:38 PM 06-09-2016
If my hands are free and its not too crazy I will answer most calls. I rarely get calls that get beyond "how much do you charge?" these days so I can be on and off the phone in 2 minutes. If it happens to be someone I may consider I will usually speak for a minute or two and then tell them I will call them back at nap time.
Controlled Chaos 02:49 PM 06-09-2016
I always let it go to voicemail first. Sometimes I will text back I am full and give them my email to contact in case they would like wait list info and prices. If I am going to call back I do it during nap or while the kids are playing outside.

I am usually full and not taking infants under 1 anymore, so most calls are going to get a text to that effect.
thrivingchildcarecom 03:21 PM 06-09-2016
So I do just let it go to voicemail and wait for a moment when I can concentrate on the call. You might want to put something in your message to say when they should expect your return call and that your primary job during business hours is caring for the children, blah, blah, blah. LOL.

By the way, I use a Google Voice number so I can see that its either business or personal.
Unregistered 08:26 AM 06-10-2016
I let numbers I dont know go to voicemail, and use a few minutes after hours to call back and get my t/s% up

But really, it diverts my attention too much to get it detail with a prospective parent.
Unregistered 09:44 AM 06-10-2016
I let it go to voicemail and do interviews after hours. I sometimes call back during nap time.
Annalee 09:50 AM 06-10-2016
Sometimes I answer, sometimes not! Just depends on how my day is going and what is happening at the moment...I do have an answering machine so persons can leave a message.
lovemydaycare0912 09:51 AM 06-10-2016
It's my husband and I so it depends on my mood. If I feel like talking to a potential client, I will pick up. If I'm not in the mood, then I will call them back after hours. I usually have two options for interviews: 10:00am or 6:00pm. Going forward all interviews will be 6pm which is after I close. With the small ones, it's too difficult to give someone all my attention.
Magic 10:00 AM 06-10-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Same for me
I do interviews during day care hours also, so parents and children can see me interact with the children and they see the children interact with each other
we work long LONG days so I try to keep day care related durning day care hours
Josiegirl 10:03 AM 06-10-2016
Most times I don't answer during dc hours because I'm too busy, and nap time is quiet time for me too. My dcps usually text me anyways and that I will check.
Forgot to add potential clients would only have access to my landline so that I tend to ignore til after work hours. If it's my cell then it's likely a current dcp.
As for interviews, I always conduct them after hours now, just so I can make some kind of sense in the conversation.
Ariana 02:59 PM 06-10-2016
I don't give out my phone number and never answer calls during the day. I conduct business strictly through email. Phone calls during the day are for emergencies only. I sometimes conduct interviews during business hours but I prefer my husband to be there so they can meet him and so that he can be there in case a whack job shows up!
Tags:interruptions
Reply Up