Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Late Payment Question . . . and Hi, It's Been Awhile :-)
spud912 08:24 AM 07-08-2017
Hi , it's been awhile since I've been on here. Life has been crazy busy!

I have a daycare family who I've posted about before. I've had them for nearly 4 years now. There have been some definite difficult times between dcm and me, but we've managed to move on from them. Dcb has 1 more month in my care before going into kindergarten, and like usual, mom is pushing the envelope once again. She tends to test my policies and then overreacts (rudely) to me enforcing the rules. This time? She is paying late, once again.

My contract states that payments are due on Fridays by 5 pm, or else there is a $10 per day late charge starting at 5:01 pm. For the past few months, I've had to remind her almost every Friday at 4:30 pm to make sure the payment is made. I've done it because I know her well and she would have not paid on time and I wanted to avoid conflict. I've also told parents multiple times that I should not have to remind everyone to pay and they are responsible for remembering.

Well, life has been super hectic lately to say the least.....weddings, upcoming trip, time off, doctor appointments and massive amounts of therapy for our autistic daughter. I'm basically doing 2 jobs right now between daycare and my daughter's therapy. One of her payments about 5 weeks ago was made at 1 am on Saturday, so 8 hours late. I didn't even notice until the following Tuesday, so I didn't say anything. Another parent also paid late that day too. Then 2 weeks ago, the same dcm paid on Sunday at 8 pm, so essentially 3 days late. I see that this is becoming a pattern (with multiple families), so I sent a VERY CLEAR email saying I have been lenient but from this moment on, I will be charging late fees. I ask each parent to respond "got it" so I know the email was received and understood. Her ex responded "got it" but she did not. She's the only person who didn't respond. She probably didn't respond because she was likely irritated.

Last week, I sent a reminder out to each parent because it was a confusing payment week. I tell each parent what the payment is for June 30th and July 7th and that I will not remind them about the 7th payment since I am off that day. Last night I check the bank and lo and behold, dcm has not paid. Her son will only be in my care 1 day this week, so the rate is only $27. Now she's going to have late fees tacked on as well, possibly more than what the payment amount is set at. I really don't think it's my place to text her a reminder. SHE should be on top of this. I know when she does pay, she will not include the late fee. On top of that, when I ask for it she's going to go ballistic and try to make me feel like I'm unreasonable.
  1. Should I send her a reminder today so she doesn't keep getting late fees tacked on daily? I really feel like I shouldn't have to do this, but then she will go crazy if I don't ("why didn't you say anything before the late fees racked up so high??"). This is more of a principle thing.....I should not be babysitting my bank account daily over the weekend to ensure she paid.
  2. When she doesn't pay the late fee (which she won't), I plan to say "Hi dcm, thank you for your payment. Please make an additional payment today for the late fee of $__ for paying __ days late."
  3. When she argues (because she will), I plan to say "Did you receive the email I sent in June regarding late payments? I ask because you are the only parent who did not respond. Per the contract, the late fee is $10 per day, starting at 5:01 pm on Fridays and is due before child care resumes."
  4. How have you handled belligerent parents who refuse to follow policies? This particular mom has called me "ridiculous" before over enforcing this same policy.

mommyneedsadayoff 09:52 AM 07-08-2017
Originally Posted by spud912:
Hi , it's been awhile since I've been on here. Life has been crazy busy!

I have a daycare family who I've posted about before. I've had them for nearly 4 years now. There have been some definite difficult times between dcm and me, but we've managed to move on from them. Dcb has 1 more month in my care before going into kindergarten, and like usual, mom is pushing the envelope once again. She tends to test my policies and then overreacts (rudely) to me enforcing the rules. This time? She is paying late, once again.

My contract states that payments are due on Fridays by 5 pm, or else there is a $10 per day late charge starting at 5:01 pm. For the past few months, I've had to remind her almost every Friday at 4:30 pm to make sure the payment is made. I've done it because I know her well and she would have not paid on time and I wanted to avoid conflict. I've also told parents multiple times that I should not have to remind everyone to pay and they are responsible for remembering.

Well, life has been super hectic lately to say the least.....weddings, upcoming trip, time off, doctor appointments and massive amounts of therapy for our autistic daughter. I'm basically doing 2 jobs right now between daycare and my daughter's therapy. One of her payments about 5 weeks ago was made at 1 am on Saturday, so 8 hours late. I didn't even notice until the following Tuesday, so I didn't say anything. Another parent also paid late that day too. Then 2 weeks ago, the same dcm paid on Sunday at 8 pm, so essentially 3 days late. I see that this is becoming a pattern (with multiple families), so I sent a VERY CLEAR email saying I have been lenient but from this moment on, I will be charging late fees. I ask each parent to respond "got it" so I know the email was received and understood. Her ex responded "got it" but she did not. She's the only person who didn't respond. She probably didn't respond because she was likely irritated.

Last week, I sent a reminder out to each parent because it was a confusing payment week. I tell each parent what the payment is for June 30th and July 7th and that I will not remind them about the 7th payment since I am off that day. Last night I check the bank and lo and behold, dcm has not paid. Her son will only be in my care 1 day this week, so the rate is only $27. Now she's going to have late fees tacked on as well, possibly more than what the payment amount is set at. I really don't think it's my place to text her a reminder. SHE should be on top of this. I know when she does pay, she will not include the late fee. On top of that, when I ask for it she's going to go ballistic and try to make me feel like I'm unreasonable.
  1. Should I send her a reminder today so she doesn't keep getting late fees tacked on daily? I really feel like I shouldn't have to do this, but then she will go crazy if I don't ("why didn't you say anything before the late fees racked up so high??"). This is more of a principle thing.....I should not be babysitting my bank account daily over the weekend to ensure she paid.
  2. When she doesn't pay the late fee (which she won't), I plan to say "Hi dcm, thank you for your payment. Please make an additional payment today for the late fee of $__ for paying __ days late."
  3. When she argues (because she will), I plan to say "Did you receive the email I sent in June regarding late payments? I ask because you are the only parent who did not respond. Per the contract, the late fee is $10 per day, starting at 5:01 pm on Fridays and is due before child care resumes."
  4. How have you handled belligerent parents who refuse to follow policies? This particular mom has called me "ridiculous" before over enforcing this same policy.
The way I handle it is to not work with these parents. I hope you dont take this wrong, but I cant believe you are still caring for this family after being disrespected so much. You are walking on broken glass bc you dont want to make the mom mad...that is NOT ok. I would not say a thing about payment and just add the late fees and make sure it is paid before you take the kid. If she gets mad, oh well. Not YOUR problem. She is bullying you and bc you are probably a super nice prrson, she is getting away with it. I could not work with a parent who made me so nervous or weary to speak with them. So my answer is simple, but i would be done. I give courtesy reminders, but having to constantly defend my right to income is not something I am willing to do.

I had one family who only came one day a week, so it was $40 and they were always late paying, wanting to drop off a check after hours, ect. Their attitude was like it's ONLY $40! And my attitude was like, YA! It is only $40, so what is your excuse for not paying it? It is hard to imply tone, but im sure you get what I mean. It is not hard to be an adult and pay a bill you have been required to pay for almost 4 years!
KiwiKids 09:56 AM 07-08-2017
1) No reminders. She knows when payment is due.
2) I wouldn't accept her child into care until all money due is paid and I would keep tacking on late fees because she's not paid the full amount due.
3) Just shut her down. An email was sent. "This is not up for discussion DCM" This is her responsibility.
4) Just don't engage. Shut her down. I can't handle disrespectful families and tend to terminate care if they can't follow the rules and be polite. No amount of money is worth the stress to me.
Ariana 07:05 PM 07-08-2017
This is absolutely a power struggle and unfortunately you have been playing it for a while. She is not dumb, she is playing you. Some people have mental illness and they play these games because they think it is fun and funny to make someone angry over them etc.

Be calm, impose your late fee, have a term letter in hand for when she disrespects you. This idiot needs to be put in her place. You take care of her kids for Gods sakes!!
trix23 08:25 AM 07-09-2017
I would increase your daily late fee to $25 to make it hurt more when they pay it and I would also states that her child cannot come in to care until she has paid her bill and full. I highly suggest you implement a policy where they pay per enrollment not attendance. So if she's enrolled full-time and her child only comes one day she still pays the full-time rate for that week. The rationale is that she's reserving her spot and no one else can take it therefore she needs to pay for it and if she wants flexibility with what days her child can come then she also needs to pay this full-time price. If she's a drop in client then I highly suggest you raise your drop-in fee to be at least $50 a day and to also charge us a supply fee and an enrollment fee up front before care begins so that you have some money coming in and they're serious about coming to your program. I would issue a probation notice of two weeks time and check off all the things that have been an issue. So late payment, disrespect, wanting exceptions for policies and any other thing that has been going on. Stay at the probation notice is effective immediately and that any policy infractions will result in immediate termination with no refunds credits or transfers. When you make this probation notice and fill in all the information, make a copy of it and send it to her email so you have proof that you sent it to her and so also that if you need to take her to court you documentation of this process
hwichlaz 11:37 AM 07-09-2017
you don't have to do business during non business days...so I'd remind her on monday.
spud912 05:14 PM 07-10-2017
Quick update: she paid on Saturday morning......WITH the late fee attached. I have to say I'm amazed! No arguments and no disagreements. Whew, I'm glad she decided not to make things weird right before they move on in a month.
CityGarden 07:38 PM 07-10-2017
Great!!! Glad it worked out.
Ariana 11:26 PM 07-10-2017
Originally Posted by spud912:
Quick update: she paid on Saturday morning......WITH the late fee attached. I have to say I'm amazed! No arguments and no disagreements. Whew, I'm glad she decided not to make things weird right before they move on in a month.
Did she read this thread?!
spud912 03:22 PM 07-13-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Did she read this thread?!
Can't say the thought didn't cross my mind . I questioned whether I should post it on the public side, but then again, I don't really care if she read it! She knows how I feel .

By the way, she paid 3 days early this week .
Tags:late payment fee, late payments
Reply Up