Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Picking the Flowers?
lucky 04:25 AM 07-27-2011
For those of you who have plants in your daycare play area, do you allow the children to pick the flowers? I have been working on my environment to create a natural playground and we have lots of flowers and plants all over the yard. I encourage the children to enjoy them they help with gardening and such , however lately my boys have been picking all the flowers and are starting to pull apart the green leaves also. I have made a rule no more picking flowers because they are ruining the plants. Would love to know how you other providers deal with this, Thanks
PitterPatter 04:31 AM 07-27-2011
Originally Posted by lucky:
For those of you who have plants in your daycare play area, do you allow the children to pick the flowers? I have been working on my environment to create a natural playground and we have lots of flowers and plants all over the yard. I encourage the children to enjoy them they help with gardening and such , however lately my boys have been picking all the flowers and are starting to pull apart the green leaves also. I have made a rule no more picking flowers because they are ruining the plants. Would love to know how you other providers deal with this, Thanks
I don't allow it because of that very reason. Mine are usually toddlers that don't get the, it's ok now but not later. I have asked them what one they want to give to Mommy and cut it with scissors myself but that's rare. If we are walking the trail and they see some wild flowers they like I may pick a few or allow them to pick those but I just never allow it from my flower garden. We make lots of flowers here like handprints they especially like and the tissue paper as well are faves.
AnneCordelia 04:51 AM 07-27-2011
I have two large raised bed veggie gardens. One for the daycare and one for my family. I let the kids pick veggies when they are supervised and instructed. I have a 'cut flower garden' too that I will occasionally let children help me cut flowers from...I love flowers in vases. Otherwise, it's a big no-no in our house to pick anything growing without permission.

I had a DCG a while back who was always picking flowers from her neighbour's gardens and frustrating her mom with angry neighbours. LOL. I would die if she picked my gladiolas and have nipped that in the bud (lol, pun intended).
Meyou 07:12 AM 07-27-2011
They aren't allowed to pick flowers from the two beds by the house in the backyard but they are allowed to pick everything else. It wasn't hard for them to understand "Don't touch here and here but you can pick leaves and flowers anywhere else."

I have to let them pick them....how would they make me wonderful baking creations outside without ingrediants?

ETA: My next door neighbor leaves all the wild daisies along the fence too so they can reach through and pick those. She said she just couldn't cut them down anymore once she knew how excited they got to pick them.
KEG123 07:18 AM 07-27-2011
No but then again the only flowers I have are sunflowers so they can't reach them.

My son DID pick an unripe tomato a couple weeks ago. It was sad becasue it was one of our first. We talked and he hasn't done it since.
PitterPatter 09:40 AM 07-27-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
They aren't allowed to pick flowers from the two beds by the house in the backyard but they are allowed to pick everything else. It wasn't hard for them to understand "Don't touch here and here but you can pick leaves and flowers anywhere else."

I have to let them pick them....how would they make me wonderful baking creations outside without ingrediants?

ETA: My next door neighbor leaves all the wild daisies along the fence too so they can reach through and pick those. She said she just couldn't cut them down anymore once she knew how excited they got to pick them.
Aw that is sweet!! I sit alone on a corner. No homes or yards connected to me I am off all to myself. I think nest yr maybe we will plant a garden just for the kids to dig in and pick from.

Baking ingredients here are dirt and grass from the yard. And toy soliders and plastic bugs from the sandbox. I like your ing better!
kidkair 11:44 AM 07-27-2011
I let them pick any flowers in the grass and pull grass from by the fence. I don't let them pick or touch any plants in my gardens but they may ask for a flower and I will give it to them or explain why I won't. They have their own gardens that they may touch the plants in but may not pull or pick without asking me first so we can be careful with the plants.
sharlan 03:28 PM 07-27-2011
The kids all know better than to touch my plummerias. They are apt to loose little fingers.
jojosmommy 12:40 PM 07-28-2011
I don't allow it on my watch but have seen a parent allow their kids to pick upon leaving. I have been tempted to go out and ask them if they need me to actually walk their kid all the way to the car and buckle them in just so they respect my house and my rules. I am afraid if I offer they will start asking me to drop their kid off at the end of the day or something though....
Tags:flowerings
Reply Up