Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>5 Year Olds
KEG123 10:11 AM 03-25-2011
So the interview I'll be having in about 2.5 hours is for a 5 year old girl. What do 5 year old girls like? Barbies? I don't have many toys for above age 3-4 because that's the age my son is. We have a play kitchen and accessories... If she ends up enrolling I'd probably go out and get some new things that she'd like, and I plan to ask at the interview what types of toys she likes to play with... but thought I'd ask here too...

Also, fwiw, she goes to preschool in the morning and would be here in the afternoon, so it wouldn't necessarily have to be anything "curriculum" related as she already gets that.
WImom 10:13 AM 03-25-2011
25 piece puzzles (character ones in boxes), Barbies, Art supplies, Dolls. Your kitchen area will work well. My own two girls are 6y and 7y they still play with the daycare kids stuff (blocks, little people, etc). They just play with it different (More imagination).
daycare 10:21 AM 03-25-2011
I don’t really have gender specific toys. I think I just have the basics that most others have.

Lego’s sets all different sizes.
Lincoln logs
Puzzles
Board games for all different ages
Puppet show items and theater
Dress up
Books for all ages
Play kitchens, food, dishes, and real life items. (Iron table, iron, and vacuum)
Play dough
other building sets
KEG123 10:28 AM 03-25-2011
Good, looks like I have at least some of that stuff. Legos (duplo), puzzles (need more- just have the chunky ones), some dress up (need to dig out from the closet), TONS of books, play kitchen, play doh... oh and art stuff! Crayons, paper, paint... good suggestions! Keep 'em comin!
KEG123 10:30 AM 03-25-2011
Also we plan to have a small garden this summer too, she'd be at a good age to be able to help out planting, watering, etc without stomping all over the baby plants! lol
daycare 10:37 AM 03-25-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
Also we plan to have a small garden this summer too, she'd be at a good age to be able to help out planting, watering, etc without stomping all over the baby plants! lol
the good thing about group care in DC is the mixed ages. She will able to lead the younger kids in activities. My DCB4 always assist the younger kids when we are doing something that they struggle with. It really makes him feel important.

I want to do a garden too, I just can't seem to keep anything alive, lol I have a black thumb.
MN Day Mom 10:43 AM 03-25-2011
I've experienced that things the kids play with when they are 3 are still a lot of the same things they will play with when they are 5, 6 and 7.... like another poster said... they just play with them differently.

In my house, boys and girls alike, like the same things... the boys love playing house with dolls and just the same the girls like playing with cars and trucks.

Winners in my house...
Play kitchen, food and dolls
Cars and car rugs
blocks and building toys (legos, duplos, waffle blocks, tinker toys, lincoln logs, magneatos, wooden blocks... anything they can build with)
Anything Little People
Loving Family doll house & accessories with some other characters tossed in like scooby doo, toy story
Puzzles, games
Art stuff....
Dry erase boards, books and markers
Play Doh

Something we really enjoy doing is making obstacle courses... use things already have in the house... chairs for climbing over under, pillows to roll through or jump in.... string to tippy toe on... blankets to crawl under... etc...

Outside... sand and chalk are biggies
Tags:5 year old, age appropriate, interview, toys age appropriate
Reply Up