Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Do Anything for Parent Birthdays?
Lilbutterflie 11:53 AM 09-14-2010
My dcm's birthday is this Saturday, and I'm already planning on having her kids make their mom a bead necklace and bracelet for her birthday.
I asked her what she was doing for her birthday and she said she wanted to go out to dinner for a date night with her husband, but they didn't have a babysitter yet. I offered to watch them, but never said whether I was going to charge her or not. At the time I was thinking it would be a nice gesture for her birthday to watch them for free (though I did not discolse this).
Then, the next day, she informed me she's taking Friday off, but asked if she could still leave the kids with me to get ready for a garage sale they are having this weekend. Although I don't agree with parents dropping their kids off during their days off, I agreed because she is paying me for it. But now I'm thinking that I definitely will charge her for babysitting, I think watching them on her day off & having the kids make her something is enough.
What do you all do for parent birthdays?
MarinaVanessa 12:23 PM 09-14-2010
I don't do anything anymore especially since most of the parents I have are unappreciative anyway. My birthday was in July and I had a mom text to say that she'd be here right on time (6pm) at closing and all I responded back with was "Great because I have dinner plans". It was my birthday that day and she was often late in picking up even with a 15 minute grace period so I wanted to make sure that she wouldn't be late this day, it was my Bday afterall. Well she apparently took it as an attack or something because she called and yelled at me on the phone and then continued to yell once she got here and threatened to pull her DCB out of daycare. Needless to say the pregnancy hormones got to me and I burst into tears and that incident ruined my birthday dinner. I didn't even want to go anymore but did anyway.

I also find that most of our crafts that get sent home get thrown in the trash immediately so I just don't do it for the parents. I just do crafts for holidays and for the kids own birthdays.
missnikki 01:27 PM 09-14-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I don't do anything anymore especially since most of the parents I have are unappreciative anyway. My birthday was in July and I had a mom text to say that she'd be here right on time (6pm) at closing and all I responded back with was "Great because I have dinner plans". It was my birthday that day and she was often late in picking up even with a 15 minute grace period so I wanted to make sure that she wouldn't be late this day, it was my Bday afterall. Well she apparently took it as an attack or something because she called and yelled at me on the phone and then continued to yell once she got here and threatened to pull her DCB out of daycare. Needless to say the pregnancy hormones got to me and I burst into tears and that incident ruined my birthday dinner. I didn't even want to go anymore but did anyway.

I also find that most of our crafts that get sent home get thrown in the trash immediately so I just don't do it for the parents. I just do crafts for holidays and for the kids own birthdays.
I think you deserve another shot at a nice birthday dinner. Tell your DH I said so, and go play!
MarinaVanessa 02:37 PM 09-14-2010
Originally Posted by missnikki:
I think you deserve another shot at a nice birthday dinner. Tell your DH I said so, and go play!
lol Thanks, we did. We celebrated the following Saturday. Same DCM had apologized and then asked me to watch DCB on Saturday (I frequently will watch a child on weekends for an additional cost) but I said no because it was a make-up birthday celebration lol.

Back to the topic, you could always do a small craft of some sort like a tracing or handprint of the child with the date and a happy birthday written on it for the parent to remember their age/size. I only do these take-home arts and crafts for hoidays but start early and put them up here in my home then send them home the day before the actual holiday or if seasonal the end of the season. That way we get to enjoy the decorations before they get thrown away .
GretasLittleFriends 04:46 PM 09-14-2010
I don't know when most of my dc parents' birthdays are. However, this last year I did find out one of them, and I only had her kid that day (plus my own) so we baked her a dozen chocolate chip cookies. She was extremely grateful.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 06:41 PM 09-14-2010
If I find out about it I wish them happy Birthday,.. thats about it.
MN Mom 06:52 PM 09-14-2010
I found out about my ex-dcm's Birthday via her children after she dropped them off in the AM. We surprised her with a home made birthday cake and punch at pick-up. We even turned off all the lights and jumped out yelling "Surprise!". I learned the happy birthday song in Spanish and we sang in tradition for her. She was very appreciative. She had never had a home made birthday cake on her birthday before. In return (though I never expect anything return) she found out all of my kids birthdays including mine and surprised us with gifts / treats on those days. Although I don't have them anymore, I know her childrens birthdays and will get them gifts. I will also make sure to get them something special on Christmas.
kitkat 07:45 PM 09-14-2010
We bake chocolate chip cookies and make a card. I don't care if the parents eat them or not. The kids really enjoy making something special for their mom/dad, especially for a special day. I've actually thought about putting a place on my child intake form asking for parent birth dates (year would be optional). If I had unappreciative parents, I don't think we'd bake, maybe just a card.
Tags:birthday, parent birthdays
Reply Up