Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Licensed vs. Unlicensed
CountryMommy 12:38 PM 07-23-2012
So in my province you have the choice of getting licensed but you don't have to be to operate legally, as long as you have your business license. I am leaning towards not being licensed because I don't like some of the regulations for that (like your kids can't go in their own rooms during daycare hours because all the daycare rules and regulations, including supervision, apply to them). There's other regulations that make me iffy about being licensed, but I would love to be able to offer subsidy to families.

Do parents strongly prefer daycares that offer subsidies or do you think I'll be able to find clients without that option?
countrymom 12:44 PM 07-23-2012
I'm unlicensed (in ontario) and when I first started I went thru a company (like wee watch) but omg it was such a hassle. Back then you couldn't get your own clients, they all had to go thru the company. I also didn't like the fact that they counted my own children in the numbers either. I don't like the fact that they control my business, they tell me what to do, what I can do, where I can go...I love being unlicensed. By reading all the horror stories about subsidies I would run away.

My back up provider did do the subsidy route (she's not thru a company, but she just had to do some paperwork) omg, she had a hard time getting paid, the excuses about getting paid, schedualling was crazy. She finally let her go, but not until she got all her money.
quailsgarden 01:41 PM 07-23-2012
I am in BC. I run a registered LNR daycare. With being registered I also recieve the same childcare subsidy rates as those who run with a license. It only took a few months to find my first clients when I first started and I have been full ever since (3 years).
Crazy8 02:05 PM 07-23-2012
I am legally unlicensed as well. the only plus I see to being licensed by my agency is the false sense of security it gives parents - if they only knew how little that piece of paper really means around here.
littlemissmuffet 05:48 PM 07-23-2012
Originally Posted by CountryMommy:
So in my province you have the choice of getting licensed but you don't have to be to operate legally, as long as you have your business license. I am leaning towards not being licensed because I don't like some of the regulations for that (like your kids can't go in their own rooms during daycare hours because all the daycare rules and regulations, including supervision, apply to them). There's other regulations that make me iffy about being licensed, but I would love to be able to offer subsidy to families.

Do parents strongly prefer daycares that offer subsidies or do you think I'll be able to find clients without that option?
This information is false. If you are unlicensed in BC, you may only care for 2 children maximum unless the children are related to you or eachother (from the same family).
CountryMommy 06:26 PM 07-23-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
This information is false. If you are unlicensed in BC, you may only care for 2 children maximum unless the children are related to you or eachother (from the same family).
I'm confused. What information is false? No one ever mentioned number of children you were allowed to take care of in this thread?

I am in Saskatchewan and I can care up to 8 kids, including my own, whether I am unlicensed or licensed.
littlemissmuffet 08:34 PM 07-23-2012
Originally Posted by CountryMommy:
I'm confused. What information is false? No one ever mentioned number of children you were allowed to take care of in this thread?

I am in Saskatchewan and I can care up to 8 kids, including my own, whether I am unlicensed or licensed.
Your location says Vancouver.

Anyhow, to answer your question - I have been full for years, and usually have potential parents sign up immediately during interviews... I am legally unlicensed in Saskatchewan as well. I find the only people who have issue with me not being licensed are those who want/require full subsidy/government paid care.
CountryMommy 08:45 PM 07-23-2012
Ha, no idea why it says vancouver. I'll fix that.
MaritimeMummy 05:22 AM 07-24-2012
I am unlicensed in Nova Scotia, but I am an approved family home day care through the Department of Community Services, with a home day care agency. My parents are able to get subsidy if they qualify, and one of them does.

I don't know, I took children in before I was approved and between that point and now, I really haven't had anyone come to be in my care only for the subsidy. The one child who is subsidized actually came to me before I got approved, so there was a time when she was coming here without subsidy.

I am actually very wary of anyone who wants my care only for the reason of subsidization. if I get an email from a potential client who asks if I am subsidized before even asking my credentials or if I even have space available, this sets off warning alarms to me. I have seriously had inquiries where, "are you subsidized?" is their greeting. In my experience, these are the people I end up interviewing whose parenting styles are SO vastly different than mine that I just can't take in their children. I can't have a respectful relationship with the parents if their first priority when choosing care was my subsidy status, rather than 'do you serve healthy meals? Do you have a criminal background check and child abuse registry check?" etc.
countrymom 07:14 AM 07-24-2012
I've had those phone calls too, "do you take subsidy" are the first thing out of their mouths. On one hand I know I'm not going to waste my time with them, but on the other its like they don't care where they dump their children as long as they don't have to pay my rate.
littlemissmuffet 09:08 PM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I've had those phone calls too, "do you take subsidy" are the first thing out of their mouths. On one hand I know I'm not going to waste my time with them, but on the other its like they don't care where they dump their children as long as they don't have to pay my rate.
Not necessarily. If a parent is on subsidy and cannot afford a daycare that is not subsidized then it is indeed in their best interest to ask that question first before wasting their time or yours. How do you know their next question wouldn't have been "what sorts of meals do you serve?", "do you have a clear criminal background check?", "what kind of training do you have?", etc???

My first question to all potential clients is what hours they need me? I don't ask how old the child is, the name of the child or anything having to do with the child or family... until I know what time the child will be picked up. Why waste time asking/answering a bunch of uneccesary questions if I don't even know a potential client's schedule will work with mine? Same deal.

I put in my ads/website/etc that I am not subsidized which has helped with that particular inquiry, I recommend you do the same
Reply Up