Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Registered- Logged Out
Unregistered 12:29 PM 04-16-2014
One day a week, dcg is my only child here besides my own. I really think dcm has started her maternity leave now and just wants "me" time, which is fine, she's paying. My parents take my kids out on this day, so it is literally 9 hours of just me and dcg. Whenever I ask about the maternity leave, they stutter, and change the date to a later time.

This is the only family that I vent about, that I have had for 3 years that has treated me like crap, btw.

I offered the family the option of picking dcg up early that one day a week when dcg is the only one, and only charging her for hours used. I could really use some time with just my kids, before this family leaves in a month, and a new family starts. Dcg is here open to close, and honestly, since they are leaving, I am tired of this whole arrangement.

Dcd got really flustered, started making up things they have to do, gave another date for dcm's maternity to start, and started stuttering up a storm. Fine, it's not my business what they do. But, I really could use the time off, and figured this was a way to get it without asking too much.

Interestingly, she also said dcg never leaves them alone at home, and hangs onto their legs making them "play' with her. My response, "she probably misses you and can sense all the changes coming".

I have literally bent over backwards for these people- cut my maternity leave to one week for them, missed appointments, events, vacations, etc. just to keep them happy. It actually makes me really sad to think about all the sacrifices I have made for them.

Would you tell them Wednesdays are no longer an option, and let them term themselves? I am so tired of being indebted to this family, and I am sick of them telling me no all the time.
SignMeUp 12:35 PM 04-16-2014
Just do it.
taylorw1210 12:41 PM 04-16-2014
Tell them due to low enrollment on Wednesdays you will be closing on Wednesday, starting next week, until further notice and will adjust their weekly rate accordingly.
CraftyMom 12:42 PM 04-16-2014
I guess it depends on how you view the whole thing.

I personally don't like when parents are home and send their kids, but they are paying so I don't say anything. Other providers do not offer care if the parents aren't at work.

It sounds like this is really bothering you and I think you should say something. Your family comes first. If you need time with your kids, that comes before someone else needing time away from their kids

Sounds like they are taking advantage and that would bother me.
coolconfidentme 12:54 PM 04-16-2014
Originally Posted by taylorw1210:
Tell them due to low enrollment on Wednesdays you will be closing on Wednesday, starting next week, until further notice and will adjust their weekly rate accordingly.
(me like this)
Crazy8 12:59 PM 04-16-2014
are they coming back after the maternity leave? that might affect my answer, but either way I think I would still close on Wednesdays temporarily. I like the "low enrollment" reasoning.
Unregistered 05:46 PM 04-16-2014
Please don't be upset by this... but your post is kind of contradicting. First, you state that it is just you and dcg on this day because your parents take your kids on this day. Then you say that you don't want to accommodate this day any more for them because it would be nice to spend some time with just your own kids??

I think what you are looking for is some me time. And I'm not flaming you for that, I think that any parent (especially a parent who is also a dc provider!!) can relate. But it sounds like you are making a list of reasons in your mind to resent this family, even reasons that don't exist!

The answer to your problem is right in front of you: You said they've already changed the date on you. And they are leaving soon anyways. I would tell them that you are no longer able to accommodate this day of the week for them anymore. Tell them that dcg is the only child you have scheduled on wed now, and since you had thought they were taking maternity leave on the original date(s) they gave you, you had planned on no longer being open on Wednesdays as of _____ date. KWIM?

If you can afford it, I would absolutely look for a new family that is either part time or OK with not attending on Wednesdays. It sounds like you are not thrilled about giving up your free day just take care of to someone else's child who may or may not actually NEED to be cared for on that day, and I cannot blame you one bit for that.
Reply Up