Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You All Consider a "Week?"
LadyK8 09:19 AM 04-12-2014
Right now I have a part-time child, but I have a feeling that her mother may need me for atleast 3 days during the week. At what point do you start having your DCP's pay for full-time care, and how would you go about telling the parents that they will have to start paying for full-time care?

Much appreciated.
Heidi 10:00 AM 04-12-2014
I charge a daily rate, but the weekly rate is slightly lower per day, KWIM?

So, if your daily rate is $35, you might charge $90 per WEEK for 3 days, $115 for 4, and $140 for full-time.

The daily rate is higher per day, but the weekly rate, for 3, 4. or 5 days, means they pay based on enrollment. So, any holidays or sick days mean they still pay the same weekly rate.
cheerfuldom 11:00 AM 04-12-2014
I think you need to figure out your own policy on part timers. Everyone has a different one. I charge by the day for part timers but do not require those that use three days a week to pay full time. You also have to consider if you are willing to lose this family if you put a new rate policy in place. There are a lot of people that are not willing to pay full time for a spot that they are going to use only part time.
Cradle2crayons 11:07 AM 04-12-2014
In my program.....

1-3 days is part time and is billed by the day...
4-5 days is full time and is billed by the week....
part time can be varying days but has to be scheduled the week before.. No last minute schedule changes or "drop ins".
rosieteddy 01:53 PM 04-12-2014
I charge more for part timers.They do have to pick days and stick to them.Then if someone else wants the other days I can charge the higher part time rate. It does make for a busier week . If I was allowing them to choose any three days I would not be able to fill around them.I like three days in a row if possible but then that only leaves two fill in days. In my area we charge anywhere from 60.00-----80 per day with a cut for full time. Good luck.
LadyK8 02:01 PM 04-12-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I think you need to figure out your own policy on part timers. Everyone has a different one. I charge by the day for part timers but do not require those that use three days a week to pay full time. You also have to consider if you are willing to lose this family if you put a new rate policy in place. There are a lot of people that are not willing to pay full time for a spot that they are going to use only part time.
I was going to keep it as is. I just wanted to see if I would regret it. I have no issues charging by the day for those not here a full 5 days.

Insecurity is understandable for us newcomers.
Crazy8 02:19 PM 04-12-2014
also be prepared for them to use all 5 days if they are paying for them.

I have rates for 2 days, 3 days, 4 days and 5 days. Rate for 2 days is highest, then goes few dollars lower per day the more days.
Most of my clients/calls are looking for part time, any way they can save money so saying you pay a full week even if you only need 3 days just would not work in this market. I can also have part timers share a full time spot and actually make more money than if it was filled by 1 full timer.
Laurel 02:54 PM 04-12-2014
My full time rate is $150 per week ($160 till 6 p.m.). So that is $30 per day for full timers.

My part time rates break down like this:

I have a 3 day minimum and charge $32 a day.

3 days: $96
4 days: $128
5 days: $160

So the least I can make for a part timer for a week is $96. I will add day 4 or 5 if they need it but if they are going to need it a lot then it is better for them to go full time and pay $150. I don't fill the days they don't use as I prefer a lighter load.

Drop-In (if available) $35 a day

1 day: $35
2 days: $70
3 days: $105
4 days: $140
5 days: $175

Drop-In's are only if I happen to have them available. They are not guaranteed. If they need a guaranteed number of days per week then they need to go part time.

I strongly suggest you use a 3 day minimum. I implemented that after part timers kept switching days and number of days, etc. At least with a minimum you are guaranteed a minimum amount each week.

I have a provider friend that charges full time rates no matter what. She has to as she is single and that is her sole income. She has had some bring them 3 days a week and pay for 5. Not a lot of people but some do.

Laurel
Blackcat31 04:30 PM 04-12-2014
I have a 3 day minimum I charge anywhere from $28-$35 per day depending on the number of days scheduled.

I charge more for families that use a varying days each week verses families who use the same days each week.

I've found for me it was alot easier to figure out my rates when I let go of thinking in terms of part time and full time and just based my rates/schedules off of how many days per week a family uses/needs.
LadyK8 05:43 PM 04-12-2014
Thank you guys so much! I was thinking of having a 3-day minimum, but wanted to see what other providers were doing. I really appreciate the breakdown.
Unregistered 05:53 PM 04-12-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

...I've found for me it was alot easier to figure out my rates when I let go of thinking in terms of part time and full time...
Early in my child care career I decided that I liked providing part time child care, but that also it actually adds to your business costs (paperwork, projects that all kids will do, parties, etc.). So I built my fee schedule accordingly.

But the key to it all was what BC said: Let go of thinking in terms of part time and full time.

I have my normal weekly schedule made up in a simple ExCel document. It has kids names and birthdates, and their age as of a date (Sept 1, or June 1 for school year or summer schedules). Infants names are in red, toddlers in blue, preschoolers in green, etc.

I print out a half-page schedule for each week, staple them together, and write in dates. Then if someone requests an extra day, I simply check the schedule for that day, count up, and let them know. If someone is absent, I cross them out and write in "sick" or "vaca", which allows me to take another child if someone requests it.
itlw8 06:29 PM 04-12-2014
for me p/t is 3 SET days if your days change you need f/t care. My p/t rate is higher so 4 days is the same as my f/t rate. might as well be f/t then you can com or not on that 5th day

anything less is drop in and a even higher hourly rate and ONLY if I have room. YOu must ask weekly ad pay if you change your mind you booked it.
CraftyMom 07:10 PM 04-12-2014
I try to keep it simple

$36/day for 2-4 days
$160 full week (slight discount for full week)
TwinKristi 07:34 PM 04-12-2014
I only charge by the day, but I charge a lower rate based on how many days, for instance...

4-5 days $45/day
2-3 days $50/day
1 day $55/day

Drop in is $60/day or $10/hr
Leigh 08:00 PM 04-12-2014
My minimum for part-time is 65% of my full-time rate, and is charged for any kids under 20 hours per week. After 20 hours, my full-time rate applies, regardless of how many days the child attends.
LeslieG 07:25 AM 04-14-2014
I charge:
$80 for 2 days per week
$120 for 3 days per week
$150 for 4 or 5 days per week

... I don't offer one day per week care.
hwichlaz 10:47 AM 04-17-2014
I charge per day, but have a $90 per week min.
Reply Up