Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ugh No More Sa'ers Ever!
ihop 01:44 PM 04-17-2014
I babysit two boys 3 and 6 on the weekends occasionally. They are great but have a ton of energy. No problem when they can ride their bikes around the neighborhood for hours and burn it off. Well the came today for drop in emergency care to my daycare. O.m.g. its hell.
I have 5 under 3 years old so all of my toys are for that age so of course have nothing he wants to play with and he is running around and bumping into everything and everyone. I explain the rules a bunch of times and he is still trying to pick up the babies and carry them and telling the other kids to do bad things. Its poring rain and my normal group will not tolerate more outside time then we already had. I brought the climbers inside so they could burn some energy. He bugged the crap out of me while I made lunch and when I out them down for nap he did everything he could do to keep them up!
He naps at home normally too. Finally every one but him is asleep and I walk by him and he is tearing up my mat.

I only have six nap mats so I foolishly let him lay on my $50 yoga mat for nap so he would be comfortable and he was tearing huge chunks of foam off of it. Ahhhhhhhhh I want to scream! And I have a discount from my normal drop in charge. Its not even enough to cover replacing it.

I am glad I learned this now before I stated taking Sa kids for summer. Sorry long vent. I feel better now. Kinda.

Eta. Any suggestions on how to survive until 6?(4 more hours) im hoping bf gets home at 4 and takes them outside but its wishful thinking.
I have 9 month, 12 month, 2 2year olds and 2year old plus drop in 3 year old and Sa brother. I cant think of anything to do with them all. I tried a movie and free play but he was body slamming the walls and trying to slip an slide on the floors to knock people over.
Blackcat31 02:01 PM 04-17-2014

SA'ers drive me insane!

Now that you KNOW how they behave you can stand strong the next time they ask you for care.

As for the yoga mat...I would tell DCM and ask her to replace it. He is MORE than old enough to understand that we do not destroy other people's property/belongings.

I would also have him lose a privilege because of it...if you don't have anything to take away from him since he is drop in, then give the others something special ( movie time, a treat, a special activity) and then tell him he cannot participate because of his behavior.

Hang in there.....5:00 IS coming!
sharlan 02:08 PM 04-17-2014
Oh, how I empathize with you. I am so done with SA's. I always enjoyed them but my last couple burned me out in a hurry. I WILL NOT take anymore of their crap (for lack of a better word).

I have a 11 yo, but I only have him for about an hour in the AM before school. He usually just sits on the sofa.

I have my almost 6, almost 7, and 8 yo grandkids, but they know that I don't tolerate much and act accordingly.

All of my current ads state 0 - 5.
CraftyMom 02:12 PM 04-17-2014
Sa'ers are difficult. Well, they bug me lol. My daycare is aimed at toddlers and preschoolers, sa'ers do things that they think are funny but are really just disruptive, they don't listen, they talk back and of course don't nap, but aren't quiet at naptime either. I've only had a few, but enough to say no more, my own 2 are enough.
ihop 02:13 PM 04-17-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

SA'ers drive me insane!

Now that you KNOW how they behave you can stand strong the next time they ask you for care.

As for the yoga mat...I would tell DCM and ask her to replace it. He is MORE than old enough to understand that we do not destroy other people's property/belongings.

I would also have him lose a privilege because of it...if you don't have anything to take away from him since he is drop in, then give the others something special ( movie time, a treat, a special activity) and then tell him he cannot participate because of his behavior.

Hang in there.....5:00 IS coming!
IM being slightly dramatic about the mat. Still usable but yea he knows better and would never behave like this at home. I typically only have 1 drop in spot so no problem never saying yes again! And we are doing magnetic sand after nap so he can sit and read a book. (which I didn't give him during nap since I knew what he'd do to it!) too bad I close at 6
His poor brother doesn't want to do anything without him but was so puzzled by his poor behavior that he just stood around.
The most frustrating part is that my 3yo dcgs birthday is today and she has 3sa brothers who are terrors and encourage her to be one as well. When she saw how he behaved she reverted back to her at home behavior(which is terrible) and has spent most of her birthday getting redirected and sternly talked to.
Wubby 03:05 PM 04-17-2014
[quote=sharlan;452503]Oh, how I empathize with you.

I need to slow down when I read some of these responses. I read it as

Oh,how I would euthanize them.

Yep my thoughts too...
sharlan 03:18 PM 04-17-2014
[quote=Wubby;452522]
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Oh, how I empathize with you.

I need to slow down when I read some of these responses. I read it as

Oh,how I would euthanize them.

Yep my thoughts too...
Somedays, that really does sound like a good idea.
Reply Up