Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do I Politely Kick This Family Out?
Shell 07:31 AM 04-18-2014
I just enrolled a 3 yr old dcg. She essentially needs wrap around care around her Preschool schedule (12-5ish). Dcm is also looking for hours here and there because she is opening a new business. It's great because I can never fill the older spots I have since everyone has to enroll their child in a Preschool class with 25 other kids for "socialization".

So, here's the dilemma: This dcg needs space on a day I am at capacity. I have one family that has given notice, and their last day is sometime in May.

My mom says (I am in my thirties, but always ask her for the best advice) I need to look to the future, and let the old family know there is no space on Tuesdays, effective next week.

I feel like a jerk, but I know this is what needs to be done.
Help with how to do this??? TIA
Blackcat31 08:24 AM 04-18-2014
Honestly, I wouldn't kick the current family to the curb. I would let them know that if they CAN arrange alternate care on Tuesdays that would be great but truthfully, until they formally withdraw (per your contract) they are still clients and your services shouldn't be limited because they are leaving ...kwim?

I would also let the new family know that you WILL have space on Tuesdays but not until xx date when the other family leaves.

That is how I would personally handle it. When a family leaves you due to moving, job change or ANYTHING not related to your care, they are still great advertisers...they still share their experiences about you and your program with others, even if they are no longer with you.

Does your state offer you the opportunity to apply for a variance?

How about ratios that change when May 1 rolls around? Here I can count ALL children who will be going to Kindy in the Fall of 2014 as school age children beginning on May 1, even though they aren't technically in school yet.

I just have two kids who will be going to Kindy in the fall and will be able to count them as SA'ers in two weeks leaving me two openings that I can fill with younger kids.
sahm1225 08:31 AM 04-18-2014
I agree w blackcat. We can apply for a variance if it's for less than 6 months.

I would apply for a variance vs kick out a family early.

Maybe offer the family leaving that you will waive their 2 week notice?
Laurel 09:38 AM 04-18-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Honestly, I wouldn't kick the current family to the curb. I would let them know that if they CAN arrange alternate care on Tuesdays that would be great but truthfully, until they formally withdraw (per your contract) they are still clients and your services shouldn't be limited because they are leaving ...kwim?

I would also let the new family know that you WILL have space on Tuesdays but not until xx date when the other family leaves.

That is how I would personally handle it. When a family leaves you due to moving, job change or ANYTHING not related to your care, they are still great advertisers...they still share their experiences about you and your program with others, even if they are no longer with you.

Does your state offer you the opportunity to apply for a variance?

How about ratios that change when May 1 rolls around? Here I can count ALL children who will be going to Kindy in the Fall of 2014 as school age children beginning on May 1, even though they aren't technically in school yet.

I just have two kids who will be going to Kindy in the fall and will be able to count them as SA'ers in two weeks leaving me two openings that I can fill with younger kids.

Shell 10:43 AM 04-18-2014
Thanks for the advice -I will look into a variance, didn't know about that! I secretly want to boot this family earlier and thought this could be a good excuse! Dcg has been acting up a ton and dcm is back to her old tricks. Thanks, guys!
Blackcat31 11:28 AM 04-18-2014
Originally Posted by mrsmichelle:
Thanks for the advice -I will look into a variance, didn't know about that! I secretly want to boot this family earlier and thought this could be a good excuse! Dcg has been acting up a ton and dcm is back to her old tricks. Thanks, guys!
Well now, that kinda changes things.... not a lot but if you truly do want to be done with a family, you should be done with them.

Maybe offer them the opportunity to not use their final two weeks?
Maybe term immediately if mom continues performing her old tricks?

Whatever reason you do term them for should be because of THEM and not because of anyone else..kwim?

Treat each family separate.

Old family.... enforce your rules and term earlier if necessary
New family... let them know you don't have space on Tues until xx date but let them know you will be looking into a variance if possible.

I could almost hear the sigh when you read the advice posted... I know you thought it all out and I know you thought you had reached a decision and we did nothing but give you more food for though and complicated things...

I'm sorry if we just added to the issue

....and your mom IS right about doing what's best for your business and for telling you to look towards the future but there is still that fine line between doing what's right and doing what is best.

Sometimes you can't do both and still make everyone happy so you just gotta go with what ever works for you and not look back.
TwinKristi 02:18 PM 04-18-2014
Why is the family leaving and why don't they know when they'll leave? If you have someone to fill her spot and they need a sooner start date and the family is dragging their feet then maybe just tell them you have someone to fill their spot but they need Tuesdays ASAP. Are they leaving May 2nd or May 22nd? Huge difference!!
Shell 02:21 PM 04-18-2014
Thanks, BC, you seriously give the most thoughtful advice! I probably should have mentioned dcm is acting up - that may or may not have changed responses. But, I will look into a variance as a back up. Just went in the payment envelope, and guess whose is missing??!! Happened 2 times already this month. I'm waiting for her to bring it tonight
Shell 02:25 PM 04-18-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Why is the family leaving and why don't they know when they'll leave? If you have someone to fill her spot and they need a sooner start date and the family is dragging their feet then maybe just tell them you have someone to fill their spot but they need Tuesdays ASAP. Are they leaving May 2nd or May 22nd? Huge difference!!
They are back and forth on the date, but plan on paying until the 31st. I'm trying to hang in there for the cash, but they are walking a thin line. I talk a tough game, but need to be reminded to stand firm
Reply Up